Where now

Way I see it too, apart from management. I think our next appointment should be a young manager with new ideas and vision. An Eddie Howe type character, someone who will try something innovative and exciting. Someone with exciting set piece ideas that make you get off your seat and say wow. Ok I’m dreaming.
They are out there, if and when the time comes we just have to hope the club can find and tempt that person. The game has changed hugely, the likes of Dyche can't cut in the premier no more with that style and approach, the championship is no different, we must move with the times or be left behind!

To be fair this place hasn’t been that bad, there has been some good posts since the other night with some interesting takes on formations and where we can improve. I think deep down most of us know the reality of where we are as a club and anyone that thinks that we can simply afford to pay Rowett off and bring in someone like Dyche with a potential premier league budget to match is living in a dream world.
I know mate and wholly agree. I tend to stay away from the match threads when i'm not at the game. I do like seeing other bods opinions and views, they make you think! Robbo should have his own channel or thread, superb insight and done with a comedy slant.

It’s Twitter and Facebook where some of the real deluded lunatics among our support gather. Some of the hysterical stuff I see on there is enough to question why the fuck I bother associating myself with these fuckwits, people thinking that we should be signing every Tom, Dick and Harry and demanding a new manager every six weeks. Seeing bods turn on Danny Mac was a particularly low point.
Yeah, different world now, i just put it down to me being stuck in the past and geting old. Everything is over analysed, no room for human error or consideration that some of our players are just not good or consistent enough. Fuck me, talksport can still manage a three hour phone in four days after a game about a dodgy ref decision, fuck that, life's to short!

Then you have the ones that read too much into something or twist things, I say this cause it concerns me and something i have written a few times. I have said and firmly believe that you get the whole picture when at a game, on tv you only see a fraction of the pitch, basically where the ball is, that's the frame. There's posts then claiming that bods that don't go are just as entitled to there opinion. I agree completely and have never said otherwise, but there you go!

You know what I miss? The days of walking out of The Den and saying to the geezer next to you ‘well that was a load of shit weren’t it?’ then getting down the boozer and forgetting all about it til next week. Let’s face it we’ve always been shit and probably always will be but every now and then we’ll give someone a bloody nose and that’s what we live for.

Fuck ‘em all indeed.
:clap:

Agreed, also think a bit of perspective is needed. Just played and lost to the top three. Reading was a poor result and performance, no getting away from that, the ref didn't help either. but we need a bit more clever. No way does a settled team lose that game. We can bring in a new manager, he'll have been out of work for a reason and will face the same issues, limited abiliability squad mixed with journeymen and a few potential decent ones.

Wallace leaving has laid bare what i believe all of us already knew. We're a mixed bag of fighters and the odd few who are great on there day, those days only happen a few times a season and not all at once. Frustrating i know and i have no answers other than some absolute loon with a fuckton of money turns up and gambles our entire future in the hope we get our day in the sun.

Modern football is a cunt, i hate every facet of it, that is, apart from us. Hope we can all keep the faith, be patient, stick together and get behind the team, they need us more tha ever.

Fuck em all.
This. You are being realistic and accept it is what it is.
Supporters like us don't expect miracles and don't feel we have the divine right to always be in top form on the pitch unlike some of these premiership new bod fans who would desert their club like a sinking ship if it went pear shape.
Good post from you Peckham.
COYL!!!

Great posts from everyone, to be honest I have never liked Rowett from day one, he reminds me of Nigel Spackman, they love spending there time talking a good game.
But when it comes to the players and tactics on the pitch they can't cut it.
I'll not stop going (subject to ill health and train strikes) I've got my S/T because I love my Millwall.
It was only just a few years ago we 14 managers in 7 years between 99/07, should remind the youngsters of the good old days, they don't know how lucky they are.

Rowett has given us 3 top half finishes despite fuck all budget, covid, games behind closed doors etc. In my opinion, he has earned the right to be given a couple of quid this window to see if he can kick on. Firstly, top man Berylson for putting his hand in his pocket and backing him. Secondly, we are Millwall for fuck sake, let’s have a bit of perspective….win one, lose one, it’s how it’s always been. Difference now is we’ve got a chairman who knows how to run a football club, and a manager, who might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but knows how to operate at this level. Could be far worse…..plastic palace playing at 4 o’clock Sunday afternoon or 8 o’clock Monday night for the pound note, or charlton…..getting pulled from pillar to post, owner after owner, and still believing they’re something their not. Bit of perspective, eh? Give me my Millwall every day week

My concern is we have a Chairman letting Rowett have more dosh than any Wall Manager I can remember but I just don’t have any faith in his tactics or formation and am bored senseless. Its clearly the best squad in a very long time but we’ll finish mid table again unless we move away from 3 centre backs. I don’t really remember the George Graham days but I’m sure it was more entertaining.

Agreed, also think a bit of perspective is needed. Just played and lost to the top three. Reading was a poor result and performance, no getting away from that, the ref didn't help either. but we need a bit more clever. No way does a settled team lose that game. We can bring in a new manager, he'll have been out of work for a reason and will face the same issues, limited abiliability squad mixed with journeymen and a few potential decent ones.

Wallace leaving has laid bare what i believe all of us already knew. We're a mixed bag of fighters and the odd few who are great on there day, those days only happen a few times a season and not all at once. Frustrating i know and i have no answers other than some absolute loon with a fuckton of money turns up and gambles our entire future in the hope we get our day in the sun.

Modern football is a cunt, i hate every facet of it, that is, apart from us. Hope we can all keep the faith, be patient, stick together and get behind the team, they need us more tha ever.

Fuck em all.
Perspective and supporting Millwall go hand in hand and to be fair we usually thrive on being the underdog. We are the original anti-establishment club and stand as a shining beacon in a brown sea of media and corporate sell outs and the Premiershit. But while we don't expect success as a god-given right we do expect a fearless team that challenges the norm and sticks two fingers up.

Any success we have ever had has been playing a 'Millwall' brand of Football a in-yer-face, up and at em style and I don't mean long ball football but an exciting brand of attacking football. At the moment we are liking a wounded Lion hoping we can survive and that isn't the Millwall way.

Come on GR you've got the players, take off the shackles and lets do it the Millwall way.

Rowett has given us 3 top half finishes despite fuck all budget, covid, games behind closed doors etc. In my opinion, he has earned the right to be given a couple of quid this window to see if he can kick on. Firstly, top man Berylson for putting his hand in his pocket and backing him. Secondly, we are Millwall for fuck sake, let’s have a bit of perspective….win one, lose one, it’s how it’s always been. Difference now is we’ve got a chairman who knows how to run a football club, and a manager, who might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but knows how to operate at this level. Could be far worse…..plastic palace playing at 4 o’clock Sunday afternoon or 8 o’clock Monday night for the pound note, or charlton…..getting pulled from pillar to post, owner after owner, and still believing they’re something their not. Bit of perspective, eh? Give me my Millwall every day week
👏👏👏👏

Last night was a typical Gary Rowett fan dividing performance and once again we are all left scratching our heads and looking to apportion blame.

Burnley (The same Burnley who hadn't won at home this season) looked like world beaters as they tore through our midfield and defence but it wasn't difficult. Shackleton has been the victim of lots of criticism (Lions TV dismissed him as not good enough) but everyone except for Rowett could see that Shackleton and Saville were being overrun in midfield. The defence simply drop off leaving the midfield isolated and leaving acres of space in front of the defence. The second goal was a classic example of how poor our defending is when two defenders allowed a Burnley player to sneak between them to score. Straight away Bart was blamed but where were the defenders to pick up the second ball.

I have a UEFA B licence and I would love to play against us from the start. Press the back five, play three in the middle and wait for the inevitable long ball. Burnley's 4-3-3 formation was perfect against the 5-2-3 and stifled any attacking threat.

Before we start attacking players (Malone, Shackleton and Afobe are the current targets) the focus needs to be on the attacking passages of play. Haaland wouldn't score in our team. Unfortunately only Rowett can effect this and he does seem stuck in his ways with his 5-2-1-2 or 5-2-3 which I would add is too rigid.

I'll give it 5 more games and he will either turn it around or the fans will turn.

Personally and for what it's worth I would play a 4-2-3-1

Bart

McNamara Hutch Coops Wallace

Shackleton Mitchell

Honeyman/Bradshaw Flemming Burey/Voglsammer

Voglsammer/Afobe

Attacking and defensive in equal measures
Here’s the answer- we don’t have the players to play 5 at the back. Rowett seems aware of this and still insists on it! 😲
“I think the issue with a five sometimes is, if you don’t pass the ball well and you don’t play well on the ball, then it stays as a five and not a 3-4-3 or whatever you want it to be”

Here’s the answer- we don’t have the players to play 5 at the back. Rowett seems aware of this and still insists on it! 😲
“I think the issue with a five sometimes is, if you don’t pass the ball well and you don’t play well on the ball, then it stays as a five and not a 3-4-3 or whatever you want it to be”
The definition of insanity?.

The signing of Callum Styles suggests that we will continue to play with 3 centre backs. But you are right STWall we cannot smash the ball up top and hope for this system to be successful and we have to go out with a postive approach and put our opponents on the back foot

We are not going to get a better, more proven manager at this level than Rowett. He has got it right before when we've had bad spells and he can do it again.
I hear you robbi but I also hear loud n clear the stick he gets from the fans of every club he has managed. “Your football is shit” repeats. He is run out of town wherever he goes and usually after three years when his approach is totally sussed and his squads are totally pissed off

Have you seen the new formation Pep at City is using? It's clearly working with the amount of goals they are banging in. Maybe GR should try it:

1.JPG

I hear you robbi but I also hear loud n clear the stick he gets from the fans of every club he has managed. “Your football is shit” repeats. He is run out of town wherever he goes and usually after three years when his approach is totally sussed and his squads are totally pissed off

That did happen at Stoke, but they were not far from the play-offs when he was sacked and they haven't done anything since and it could be argued have done worse. He did a good job at Burton and got them promoted, went to Brum and had two very successful seasons. He then left for Derby who got into the play-offs but lost out, and he became Stoke manager the season after. Derby had a good season under Lampard and got into the play-offs again but that was mainly due to them having Mason Mount and a couple of other very good Chelsea loans, as well as Harry Wilson.

I'm not saying he's a perfect manager and I'm not saying there aren't issues. His footballing philosophy is one of caution and our attacking play in particular leaves a lot to be desired. But he is a proven manager at this level and has done a pretty decent job for us over the last few seasons. I believe he will get it right because history has shown he does.

I thought the idea of signing Flemming and Honeyman was to make us more creative and make chances for the strikers. I think the players we now have available could suit a 433 formation.

Bart
Mac Hutch Cooper Murray
Shack Honeyman Saville
Afobe Flemming The German

Flemming could play slightly deeper and Afobe will score goals with a regular partner up front.
Keep this side together for a few games to give them time to gel
All day long. Said before and I’ll say it again we cannot play the Rowett way at home. Must get on the front foot, Flaming and the top of a diamond with two up front get the crowd on side we are Millwall after all is said and done and Rowett is no Conte!

My concern is we have a Chairman letting Rowett have more dosh than any Wall Manager I can remember but I just don’t have any faith in his tactics or formation and am bored senseless. Its clearly the best squad in a very long time but we’ll finish mid table again unless we move away from 3 centre backs. I don’t really remember the George Graham days but I’m sure it was more entertaining.
Squad is decent the tactics at home are holding us back