Fans' Forum at the Den tonight 28 July 2022

Ideally, I think that GR would want an experienced Championship forward who can score goals for fun (someone like Adam Armstrong who it seems isn’t wanted by Southampton anymore), but a player like that might cost a decent fee and probably isn’t on low wages, and it’s not always possible for a club of our size to justify paying £20,000+ every week, with no guarantee that the player is going to succeed and do the business for us!

I’m just surmising here, but does GR have an aversion to looking at some of the half decent forwards from League 1 this summer? Cole Stockton of Morecombe and Swindon’s Harry McKirdy know where the goal is and yes, they’ve only been prolific since last season, but that doesn’t mean they can’t repeat their success this season, either with their current clubs, or with one of them signing for us!

Don’t know what their clubs are paying them in League 1, but if we were to offer say, £500,000 to £750,000 for one of them to sign permanently (if they’re still under contract), and pay that player say, £5,000 a week, then surely that would be a win-win for that players club, our club and the player himself?

Ideally, I think that GR would want an experienced Championship forward who can score goals for fun (someone like Adam Armstrong who it seems isn’t wanted by Southampton anymore), but a player like that might cost a decent fee and probably isn’t on low wages, and it’s not always possible for a club of our size to justify paying £20,000+ every week, with no guarantee that the player is going to succeed and do the business for us!

I’m just surmising here, but does GR have an aversion to looking at some of the half decent forwards from League 1 this summer? Cole Stockton of Morecombe and Swindon’s Harry McKirdy know where the goal is and yes, they’ve only been prolific since last season, but that doesn’t mean they can’t repeat their success this season, either with their current clubs, or with one of them signing for us!

Don’t know what their clubs are paying them in League 1, but if we were to offer say, £500,000 to £750,000 for one of them to sign permanently (if they’re still under contract), and pay that player say, £5,000 a week, then surely that would be a win-win for both their clubs, our club and the player himself?
League 1 clubs are as big eyed as championship clubs these days. It’s a Knock on effect. These clubs ask big dough for their best players now.

League 1 clubs are as big eyed as championship clubs these days. It’s a Knock on effect. These clubs ask big dough for their best players now.
Yes, if the club doesn’t want to sell a prized asset, but what about league 1 clubs that do need the money? £500,000 to £750,000 doesn’t sound like much to a Championship side, but to a team like Morecombe who struggled in league 1 last season (on the pitch and probably off it financially), then that sort of money could be manna from heaven to a club like them!