Sheyi Ojo

This. 100%.

Let’s face it, we all know what’s going to happen!

We sign someone like this Ojo, on a perm or on loan, and we get all excited when we see clips of what the player can do but, when reality kicks in, it will be one of three things which will show us why he’ll be a failure:

1. He won’t, for reasons unknown, be able to replicate his flair/goals with us.
2. Drawett will play him in the wrong position.
3. Our clueless midfield will not link up play with him, thus not allowing him to score from inside or outside the box!

The last time I can remember a forward that was so prolific in front of goal for us, was Bomber, both the 1st and 2nd spells he had with us, and the last being 10 years ago. Before him was Teddy, and that was 30 years ago!

Two decent forwards in the last 30 years! OK, Morison and Gregory were a great partnership, and whilst individually they scored a lot of goals, they didn’t score as many as Ted and Bomber did!

Its just Millwall’s bad luck that we never seem to strike lucky with a forward who can net us 20+ goals each season!

I hope Ojo becomes the exception, and I’d love to be wrong…but I don’t see it!
Chris Wood was genuinely prolific when with us on loan...with 11 goals from 19 Championship games.

Harris' 28 Tier Two goals in 137 games doesn't come even close.

Have any friends in Liverpool who can tell us how good Ojo is?
:grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

We can discuss your questionable choice of friends later.;)

Another one who can’t cross the ball?

“He had just been missing that final end product. In the first half, he got into some great areas of the pitch but the cross wasn’t what it should be. But in moments, he’s unplayable.”

Harris said he’s unplayable……where have I heard that before 😂

Had a look on a Scouser red website last night, and following comments were about Ojo when he first came to prominence, as an 18 year old, back in 2016!

”Yikes. Impressive video. The lad can dribble, protect the ball, fling the passes around... I had only seen glimpses of him before, but after seeing that, colour me impressed!”

“Yeah he looks like he would be excellent as a left cm in a 4-4-2 diamond. Or left of a 4-3-3. Many managers tend to play youngsters on the wing to improve their timing and decision making.”

“He's still far from ready to be starting in the first team, needs to be a bit more direct in his play, at the moment it seems like his touches get him into space so he can slow the game down and assess his options. When he learns to use that first touch to be more attacking he'll be almost unstoppable. A lot of the time he ends up checking back into midfield, getting some space and then running at people.”

“That is because he is a midfielder in his mind. His instinct isn't to attack the box. I think he is a fine player, but not a forward. He will most likely be a midfielder more of a number 8, when he finally settles in to a position.”

”Played well tonight,there's huge potential in him which was on display against Milan. Then again he switched off completely a few times and his awareness of what's happening around him still needs work from the coaches,but a very exciting player indeed.”

Then in August 2016 suffered a back fracture which sidelined him for a few months…..came back in January 2017.

”Always looks a lot more threatening on his natural side than when he plays on the right to me. Seems to be more comfortable taking players on the outside.”

”I still think if he doesn't play in these types of games, he should be on loan playing regular games and improving. Klopp has said it himself the U23s in not the standard required and that's why he has loaned more players than he likes to do to give them better experience.”

“Well, one can only speculate, but I think one of core philosophies is to build sides around players' strengths. In the first game against Plymouth, I got the feeling Ojo played at too languid a pace, he didn't take men on as soon as he got the ball and generally played at an intensity that was manageable for the Plymouth players, while Jurgen wanted him to play quicker, faster and commit players into defending in 1v1s. That's my impression based on what Jurgen said and the difference in performance between the first game and the second game where Ojo beat that defender three or four times after coming on and generally committed him into a 1v1 soon as he got the ball.“

”Another assist. Great crosses both of the goals.”

”Good to see him crossing so well with his right foot. He's gonna be dangerous on either flank. Hopefully he kicks on!”

”Interesting that both his crosses that led to goals were off his weaker right foot. If he can develop that even more he'd be a huge asset. So hard for defenders to stop players with his pace and agility when they can go both ways.”

”What about Ono as a marauding left back?”

“His first touch is too unreliable. To be honest, I would suggest it's also holding back his options on the wing too. That and his relatively poor decision-making.”

Then we skip ahead to August 15th, 2021.

”Where is he?”

“Wasting the formative years of his career. He hasn't really set the world alight on his loans so it's not surprising that there doesn't seem to have been much interest in him yet. But he needs a permanent move.”

”Not sure that is true. He played on loan at Cardiff last year with Harry Wilson. By all accounts he performed as well as Wilson too. Given they are the same age it is weird one is going for £12m and the other peanuts.”

“By all accounts? One of my mates is as Cardiff fan and seemed quite underwhelmed by Ojo while referring to Wilson as 'the Welsh Messi'. Looks like a lot more of Ojo's appearances came off the bench too. It's a shame, he looked an amazing prospect a few years back.”

”5 goals + 7 assists from 2370 minutes / 42 appearances last season. Most in the first half of the season, I think.”

“Never seemed to have the drive. Watched him in the under 18s and when he switched on he'd run the game but it'd be 5 minutes here and there and he'd disappear for the rest if it. You need to be dominating games at that level.”

I’ve saved the best one till last, as thought it funny in our current situation with Drawett, and how he sets up!

”Hope he can go on loan to ambitious championship side and be first teamer. I think he needs to be in a team expected to win.”

:rofl: :rofl::rofl:

Chris Wood was genuinely prolific when with us on loan...with 11 goals from 19 Championship games.

Harris' 28 Tier Two goals in 137 games doesn't come even close.
Sorry, Whisky, should have said prolific as in, most appearances/goals over a longer spell (regardless of league division)

Ted - 220 app. - 93 goals
Bomber - 374 app. - 124 goals (two spells)
Morison - 293 app. - 75 goals (two spells and 1 loan)
Gregory - 204 app. - 64 goals

Looks like there is a player in there. Let’s see if we can make him shine.
My impression is that he seems to have skills we don’t currently have.
Maybe oppo defences will have something extra to think about, leaving more time for other players like Benik and Jed.
Thank you Life with the Lions for searching out that stuff.
We could certainly not write stuff like that about our fringe players e.g.Bod,Brad and Mahoney.

Sorry, Whisky, should have said prolific as in, most appearances/goals over a longer spell (regardless of league division)

Ted - 220 app. - 93 goals
Bomber - 374 app. - 124 goals (two spells)
Morison - 293 app. - 75 goals (two spells and 1 loan)
Gregory - 204 app. - 64 goals
You missed our super prolific duo:
Bod and Bradshaw - 143 league appearance - 18 goals.