What does the new manager need to do first?

Lion-in-exile

I'd say sort the home form and mind set, no wonder a lot of people wanted a change from GR, 4 years of trying to nick a 1 nil win against bang average sides!!
Get us attacking at The Den will get the fans on board early doors!!
Having watched most of our games from afar over the last 4 years a couple of things I have noticed:
1, MOVEMENT or lack of, every Southampton player yesterday never stood still, not even the goalkeeper, as soon as they made the pass they were on the move. We seem to pass and stop! This is why we always seem to go sideways or backwards, there is zero movement!!

2, ON OUR HEELS, I was taught at 5 years old "Always be on your toes, not heels" we are always on our heels, prime example yesterday Cooper wins a header, it goes across their box and there was nobody there!! Cooper is 6 foot 7 ffs!! As soon as he goes up for the header Bradshaw/Nesbit/Flemming etc should be on their bikes!!!

3, PASSING, it truly is pub league standard at times, when you start playing as a kid your told " Pass in front of the player you are passing to, so he can run onto the ball, we either pass straight or even behind the player!!

All basic stuff really!!

I'd say sort the home form and mind set, no wonder a lot of people wanted a change from GR, 4 years of trying to nick a 1 nil win against bang average sides!!
Get us attacking at The Den will get the fans on board early doors!!
Having watched most of our games from afar over the last 4 years a couple of things I have noticed:
1, MOVEMENT or lack of, every Southampton player yesterday never stood still, not even the goalkeeper, as soon as they made the pass they were on the move. We seem to pass and stop! This is why we always seem to go sideways or backwards, there is zero movement!!

2, ON OUR HEELS, I was taught at 5 years old "Always be on your toes, not heels" we are always on our heels, prime example yesterday Cooper wins a header, it goes across their box and there was nobody there!! Cooper is 6 foot 7 ffs!! As soon as he goes up for the header Bradshaw/Nesbit/Flemming etc should be on their bikes!!!

3, PASSING, it truly is pub league standard at times, when you start playing as a kid your told " Pass in front of the player you are passing to, so he can run onto the ball, we either pass straight or even behind the player!!

All basic stuff really!!
No 2. Thought yesterday we always seem flatfooted and never on our toes

Realise that styles make fights and we simply don’t have the budget to out football the richer footballing teams with tippy tappy football.
Increase the fitness levels immediately and bring in two decent, fast, wide midfielders and a tall striker who can head it. Plus make it clear that if you don’t put a shift in you don’t stay in the starting 11.

Increase the fitness levels immediately and bring in two decent, fast, wide midfielders and a tall striker who can head it.

Apart from work on fitness levels immediately, what do you suggest he does before the end of January then?

:grinning:

Apart from work on fitness levels immediately, what do you suggest he does before the end of January then?

:grinning:
Apart from the obvious being our fitness levels, working on passing and pressing as a unit, play formations that suit the players we have 442 or 4411, play the in form players and drop those who are either not at the races or not putting a shift in. Stick Flemming up front because he’s not a midfielder and use Emakhu as a centre forward rather than a wingback or wide player.

Re the fitness training:
I can’t say I understand it all but they had a bloke on the TV during the Breeders Cup meeting talking about how he uses technology/logarithms to tell you how much training etc horses need.
He’d previously been working with NFL players and said they had managed to reduce injuries by 25% because the training methods had been all wrong.