We've been warned again

Perhaps the Sun might like to publicly apologise for their claim of Millwall's 'Anti - Irish sentiment, after it reviews how many Irish players who have been on our books. I'll start off with Sadlier, Williams, Saville, Hamiiton etc. It seems like only last month we were Racist anti- Black club. Usual Sun, sadly. Give me Millwall any day.

But he kind of is the victim in all of this in my opinion, it’s not like he has choose not to wear a poppy and everyone has respected that choice. If he didn’t get the abuse from football fans everywhere he goes then there isn’t a problem, it only seems to be a problem for those that take offence at him not wearing a poppy and have subjected him and his family to a relentless and sustained campaign of vile sectarian abuse, including personal threats to him and his family.
I have no issue with him in regards to the poppy mate. I made that clear in an earlier post. That's his choice which he's entitled to. It's the antagonism with his stunt of rolling up his shorts to display that tattoo which he knows is going to get the response that follows. Then he cries wolf which in my book makes him a snide cunt. What he does isn't unique to us, he's renowned for it and it's well documented that he's done it at umpteen grounds.

Speaking as an Ulster man, born and raised in Northern Ireland, and a first hand witness of the horrors inflicted on ordinary people by terrorists of both sides, McClean comes across as one of those individuals who seems entrenched in the past.
Citizens had high hopes for the future after the signing of the Good Friday Agreement, and in doing so, had to accept that conditions of "peace" included the release of convicted terrorist murderers from prison and the prospect of these monsters being given ministerial positions in an N.I. government.
We were supposed to consign the "Troubles" to history, and both sections of the community move on to forge a bright future for the country and it's citizens.
By and large, whilst we now longer wake up to hear daily news reports of soldiers, police men, or members of the public having been murdered, despite what most people are led to believe, these terrorist organisations STILL EXIST.
Not only are they still in existence, but some have morphed into new gangs which are fully intent on returning N.I. to it's bloody past.
Through his actions, McClean is fanning the flames of sectarianism, goading supporters into reacting, and then complaining when he gets it back.
Reminiscent of times past, whenever terrorists attacked the security forces, and were then wiped out, with the ensuing allegations of a shoot to kill policy by the security forces!
We live in a free society, with relative freedom of speech, and McClean is entitled to his beliefs and views, abhorrent as they may be. He is also entitled to decide not to wear a poppy if he so wishes.
BUT, those he taunts, with his ill thought actions, also have that same freedom of speech and opinions, yet in doing so are responsible for bringing the club they support under a spotlight. This is immoral.
This will continue wherever he goes in Britain, until such times the F.A. grow a set of balls and deal with this issue properly. If a club is penalised for a supporter who is alleged to have abused McClean, then the only correct way to address this is for McCleans club to be penalised for his actions whilst he is playing for them. If he or his club was being fined and banned every time he offended or goaded supporters, he would soon wind his neck in, or find himself unemployed.
Apologies for the long winded post.

But he kind of is the victim in all of this in my opinion, it’s not like he has choose not to wear a poppy and everyone has respected that choice. If he didn’t get the abuse from football fans everywhere he goes then there isn’t a problem, it only seems to be a problem for those that take offence at him not wearing a poppy and have subjected him and his family to a relentless and sustained campaign of vile sectarian abuse, including personal threats to him and his family. Maybe he shouldn’t react in the way he does (the balaclava picture is indefensible) but this has been going on for ten years or so, I can at least understand it.

The fact that he earns a living in England doesn’t really mean anything, surely you’re not saying that anyone who doesn’t see themselves as British and consciously decides not to wear a poppy has no right to live and work here? I thought that millions fought and died in wars against them kind of ideals.
My sympathy for him is limited. You've got to judge your audience. Over here(in the South at least) his tattoo isn't going to cause a problem but it's not clever to actively flaunt it while playing in England

Let's turn it around. Imagine an English or Northern Irish player came over to play in the League of Ireland behaved as McClean has? Supposing he flashed a British army tattoo and or if he was on the bench didn't stand for the Irish national anthem if that was played at a match(a bit like not wearing the poppy)? I think that he might get a certain amount of grief.

Actual sectarian or religious abuse is wrong but I don't think that there's been very much of that in truth.

As for the poppy, I respect his decision not to wear one but wearing a poppy is hugely important in the UK. Maybe with a bit of thought he might have found a compromise like wearing the white poppy(though I know that not everyone agrees with the white poppy either).

Likewise. My old man is from Dublin. My mum from Wexford.
That's what makes me laugh when I hear any media reports that Millwall is anti Irish. Going to matches, I've met so many people who have some kind of link to Ireland(very common all over London of course). How could Millwall be anti Irish when so many of their supporters have Irish family?

That's what makes me laugh when I hear any media reports that Millwall is anti Irish. Going to matches, I've met so many people who have some kind of link to Ireland(very common all over London of course). How could Millwall be anti Irish when so many of their supporters have Irish family?
My Mum was Irish (Sligo) and growing up in the 70's and 80's she hated it whenever a bomb went off, she got grief and abuse just for being Irish because of it.
She was a great fan of the Royal Family, she absolutely worshipped them and wouldn't have a bad/negative word said about them.
Ironically it was her brother (uncle Joe) who got me and my brothers into Millwall as my Dad was a Charlton fan, luckily for us a lapsed one when we were kids otherwise I could be looking at train timetables instead of abusing cunts like McClean.

My Mum was Irish (Sligo) and growing up in the 70's and 80's she hated it whenever a bomb went off, she got grief and abuse just for being Irish because of it.
She was a great fan of the Royal Family, she absolutely worshipped them and wouldn't have a bad/negative word said about them.
Ironically it was her brother (uncle Joe) who got me and my brothers into Millwall as my Dad was a Charlton fan, luckily for us a lapsed one when we were kids otherwise I could be looking at train timetables instead of abusing cunts like McClean.
Sounds like you had a lucky escape there;)

Yes, I know that it wasn't easy for Irish people in England in the 70's and 80's. But in this day and age, there's few enough in England who are in any way anti Irish nor did I see any of it by the time I was over in the 90's.

and growing up in the 70's and 80's she hated it whenever a bomb went off, she got grief and abuse just for being Irish because of it.
Same for my mum. She was frightened to open her mouth at times. I remember clearly to this day when some vile nasty cunt heard her accent as she spoke to me ( aged 5 ) at the time. Tesco's Rye lane Peckham- mid 70's. He walked towards her and when close enough spat in her face and gave her a load of verbal to top it off.

Speaking as an Ulster man, born and raised in Northern Ireland, and a first hand witness of the horrors inflicted on ordinary people by terrorists of both sides, McClean comes across as one of those individuals who seems entrenched in the past.
Citizens had high hopes for the future after the signing of the Good Friday Agreement, and in doing so, had to accept that conditions of "peace" included the release of convicted terrorist murderers from prison and the prospect of these monsters being given ministerial positions in an N.I. government.
We were supposed to consign the "Troubles" to history, and both sections of the community move on to forge a bright future for the country and it's citizens.
By and large, whilst we now longer wake up to hear daily news reports of soldiers, police men, or members of the public having been murdered, despite what most people are led to believe, these terrorist organisations STILL EXIST.
Not only are they still in existence, but some have morphed into new gangs which are fully intent on returning N.I. to it's bloody past.
Through his actions, McClean is fanning the flames of sectarianism, goading supporters into reacting, and then complaining when he gets it back.
Reminiscent of times past, whenever terrorists attacked the security forces, and were then wiped out, with the ensuing allegations of a shoot to kill policy by the security forces!
We live in a free society, with relative freedom of speech, and McClean is entitled to his beliefs and views, abhorrent as they may be. He is also entitled to decide not to wear a poppy if he so wishes.
BUT, those he taunts, with his ill thought actions, also have that same freedom of speech and opinions, yet in doing so are responsible for bringing the club they support under a spotlight. This is immoral.
This will continue wherever he goes in Britain, until such times the F.A. grow a set of balls and deal with this issue properly. If a club is penalised for a supporter who is alleged to have abused McClean, then the only correct way to address this is for McCleans club to be penalised for his actions whilst he is playing for them. If he or his club was being fined and banned every time he offended or goaded supporters, he would soon wind his neck in, or find himself unemployed.
Apologies for the long winded post.
Superb post. Let’s hope and pray that peace continues to prevail in Ireland ( and the whole world )

Same for my mum. She was frightened to open her mouth at times. I remember clearly to this day when some vile nasty cunt heard her accent as she spoke to me ( aged 5 ) at the time. Tesco's Rye lane Peckham- mid 70's. He walked towards her and when close enough spat in her face and gave her a load of verbal to top it off.
I knew kids at some schools used to get a kicking for being Irish in the 60s and 70s

My Father in Law was from Sligo. Lovely bloke, but sadly supported Fulham!!