VAR v Scousers

They also get a lot right and so does Var. It's still a human that has to make the judgement. Like i said it has stoppped a lot of cheats from ruining the game. And of course it's going to bcause delays by stopping the game.
To be fair, I can't say that VAR is all bad. But would you like to see it brought in to the Championship?

Am I right in saying that the decision of an offence in a game, has been taken away from a man who is in the thick of it. To a man and a computer between 20- 200 miles away in a warm room.

To be fair, I can't say that VAR is all bad. But would you like to see it brought in to the Championship?
If it meant we got the penalties that should have been given when the likes of Cooper gets man handled when up for corners then yes. I don't think it's abad thing in theory and like i said it has stopped a lot of diving, cheating and players trying to con refs. On the other hand i don't think it's good because it can undermine a ref but he's only human and i think players have brought this upon themselves. It's deemed okay by pundits and ex pros for a player to miss a sitter or play a wayward pass but when a ref makes a mistake he's scrutinised, villified and hung out to dry.

Am I right in saying that the decision of an offence in a game, has been taken away from a man who is in the thick of it. To a man and a computer between 20- 200 miles away in a warm room.
That man being an ex ref. Thing is that football has been so monetised that it's forgotten that it's played by and refereed by humans. In most walks of life exceptions can be made for the element of human error. Players get away with it but it seems that match officials can't. I found a comment by Kevin de bryne quite interesting and tellling in a post match interview last season. He was asked a question as to whether he felt a certain refs decision in his game was correct or not. His reply was that - even the players don't know the rules anymore so he didn't know!!

After seeing something last night I’ve never witnessed before, that ref is old school. At least you know how far you can push the boundaries with him.

VAR is making jobs, and unnecessary mistakes. I think everybody would go back to how it was 20 years ago and leave the offside alone too. It created talking points in the pub after. In football it’s all spur of the moment stuff including official decisions. Keep goaline technology.

If it meant we got the penalties that should have been given when the likes of Cooper gets man handled when up for corners then yes. I don't think it's abad thing in theory and like i said it has stopped a lot of diving, cheating and players trying to con refs. On the other hand i don't think it's good because it can undermine a ref but he's only human and i think players have brought this upon themselves. It's deemed okay by pundits and ex pros for a player to miss a sitter or play a wayward pass but when a ref makes a mistake he's scrutinised, villified and hung out to dry.
What you say is fair enough and I think we agree that refs making mistakes is part of the game and I accept that VAR may correct some mistakes. But it simply creates a layer of others. For example, I think that VAR intervened incorrectly by getting the ref to upgrade the yellow for Jones to a red. And if they were going to intervene there, then it seems like a mistake not to intervene when Jota got the first yellow(which didn't even look like a foul to me. Part of the problem with it is that there's no certainty about when VAR should intervene. In my view, just keep the game simple. Accept that football's not a science, it's not perfect, refs will make mistakes because they're human. VAR doesn't really solve anything.

I do think that Liverpool have lost the run of themselves completely asking for it to be replayed.

If it had been in place last season we would have done much better especially at home to Blackburn when Tom’s offside goal would have been allowed and Blackburn’s 2nd disallowed 🤷‍♂️

Throw in the numerous occasions Jake was hauled to the floor in the box, we could have gained automatic promotion 😉

Last edited:
In the grey corporate world of modern football VAR has been forced in by the paymasters and maybe over the course of a season it would have it’s benefits when you consider some of the outrageous decisions we see go against us, especially at home matches where referees seem to have a predetermined attitude of not wanting to be seen to give us anything.

But to me it takes the emotion out of the game. Whenever I watch a premier league game it looks to me that the first thing they do whenever someone scores is to wind back and look for something wrong with it. I hate the thought of celebrating some of our memorable late goals then having to wait several minutes for it to be awarded or not. Imagine being amongst the delirium of Smith’s winner against the anoraks or Murray Wallace’s vs Everton only for a couple of geeky nerds in a studio several miles away to disallow it.

Fuck that I think I’d rather suffer a few dodgy penalty calls over a year than have to worry for five minutes every single time we score a goal. Football is supposed to be an emotional game and there should be a margin for human error but unfortunately the foreign money men and sore losers like the German toothy cunt Klopp can’t and won’t accept that.

The margins are so tiny when they put that line across the pitch for offside, it could be less than a millimeter. According to quantum physics, depending on the perspective and position of the viewer, both time and space look different. So everyone is onside and onside at the same time if you apply schrodinger equations. Just let the lino put his flag up have a moan and get on with it. 😁