The treatment of Referee’s

onlyagame

Age restricted but worth a “Google”
All Turkish domestic games have been suspended

“Turkish Super Lig referee punched to the ground by club president - then kicked in the head”

Age restricted but worth a “Google”
All Turkish domestic games have been suspended

“Turkish Super Lig referee punched to the ground by club president - then kicked in the head”
At least he didn't have a manhole cover thrown at him or a steaming hot pie.

I am a ref and we are seen as fair game if decisions etc don t go the right way, grass root football is a minefield at times but stronger penalties are being handed out but without the officials you cannot have a game , like any job there are good and not so good refs, pro refs are protected at most grounds but on a windy,rainy Sunday morning in the local park there is no place to hide and at times it's hard but you have to keep making the decisions you feel are the correct ones

I am a ref and we are seen as fair game if decisions etc don t go the right way, grass root football is a minefield at times but stronger penalties are being handed out but without the officials you cannot have a game , like any job there are good and not so good refs, pro refs are protected at most grounds but on a windy,rainy Sunday morning in the local park there is no place to hide and at times it's hard but you have to keep making the decisions you feel are the correct ones
Just one question Phil, why?
(it can’t be because you need the money!)

I qualified as a ref many years ago as I wanted to better understand the laws of the game and, as Philion54 says, it was a way of being involved - I wasn't good enough to play beyond kick abouts. Did it for a few years and gradually gave it up due to competing pressures.

Not sure I'd do it now - some of the laws are incomprehensible.

Also realised you don't need to be any good at football to have an opinion - just need a keyboard!

Also realised you don't need to be any good at football to have an opinion - just need a keyboard!
People say you need to have done something at a decent level to have a proper opinion on it but I’ve never murdered someone and I imagine my opinion is still valid?
On balance, it’s not a good thing :shake:
(but you might want to disagree)

Having played at a very decent level ( and still playing over 65 Vets football) does give you a different insight to the game then someone who's just been an official , all the tricks ,cons etc r I have either done or had done to me over the years and these these days is quite blantant, so I would say yes experience playing the game certainly helps me

My mate decided after a long Saturday / Sunday Pubside career and when his knees were suffering , he wanted to give something back so got his refereeing badges. He told me how proud he was the day his black kit arrived . his first game under the watchful eye of a referees assessor was a feisty affair and after another alter cation over one of his decisions a player called him a c@nt so my mate turned and headbutted him .... cutting short a very short career

Having played at a very decent level ( and still playing over 65 Vets football) does give you a different insight to the game then someone who's just been an official , all the tricks ,cons etc r I have either done or had done to me over the years and these these days is quite blantant, so I would say yes experience playing the game certainly helps me
I think for many fans, of all clubs, it is the apparent inconsistancy of decisions and interpretation of similar incidents, both within the same match, and similar matches, leads to bewilderment and
frustration. (*)
This is compounded by the lack of any system for explaination by the Referees or the F.A. Genuine respect to all Ref's for doing the job, but consistency and clarity are essential to.maintaining that respect.

(*) for example shirt pulling, or blatant pushing, inside and outside the penalty area. Jake Cooper springs to mind.

My mate decided after a long Saturday / Sunday Pubside career and when his knees were suffering , he wanted to give something back so got his refereeing badges. He told me how proud he was the day his black kit arrived . his first game under the watchful eye of a referees assessor was a feisty affair and after another alter cation over one of his decisions a player called him a c@nt so my mate turned and headbutted him .... cutting short a very short career
😂😂😂

I think for many fans, of all clubs, it is the apparent inconsistancy of decisions and interpretation of similar incidents, both within the same match, and similar matches, leads to bewilderment and
frustration. (*)
This is compounded by the lack of any system for explaination by the Referees or the F.A. Genuine respect to all Ref's for doing the job, but consistency and clarity are essential to.maintaining that respect.

(*) for example shirt pulling, or blatant pushing, inside and outside the penalty area. Jake Cooper springs to mind.
You will never get consistency as the refs are human & have their own unique view even when the rules are at in stone on shift pulling & time wasting its still open to the refs point of view and this is proved every week in every level of the game

Absolutely disgusting that was. The geezer should be jailed just as we would be had it been one of us running in to give him a whack. And then the other fkrs getting into him when he's down. Just for doing his job. Shameful

People say you need to have done something at a decent level to have a proper opinion on it but I’ve never murdered someone and I imagine my opinion is still valid?
On balance, it’s not a good thing :shake:
(but you might want to disagree)
Good point well made OAG. Although if you're debating the finer points of murder with the residents of D Wing at the Scrubs they may claim their opinions are more valid. Unless, of course, you've done away with 6 people and got away with it every time and then the balance would shift in your favour.

pro refs are protected at most grounds but on a windy,rainy Sunday morning in the local park there is no place to hide and at times it's hard but you have to keep making the decisions you feel are the correct ones
From todays paper:

The Referee and Match Official Research Network, has previously uncovered stark differences between grass-roots football behaviour in England compared to the Netherlands and France.
Just 2.2 per cent of Dutch referees said that they experienced verbal abuse in every game or every couple of games. This figure was 14.4 per cent in France but rocketed to 60 per cent when English officials were asked the same question in 2015.

frustration. (*)

Spot on. At the start of the season kicking the ball away and standing over the ball to prevent a free kick were going to get a yellow card. Halfway through the season we are back to square one. Not to mention 3 minute celebrations after a goal. You should be able to KO as soon as you are ready and if the other team are still hugging at the other end, tough sh*t.

Spot on. At the start of the season kicking the ball away and standing over the ball to prevent a free kick were going to get a yellow card. Halfway through the season we are back to square one. Not to mention 3 minute celebrations after a goal. You should be able to KO as soon as you are ready and if the other team are still hugging at the other end, tough sh*t.
I think a Rovrum bloke got a yellow for kicking the ball away on Saturday, swiftly followed by a second for a silly foul.
So, it does happen, but, as you say, not consistently.

Members online