The Tigers V The kings of the jungle - Match thread--- Sat 3pm KO

Peckham Lion

Staff member
Nerd mode-- On

Hull is a port town and a shortened down version of the actual place- Kings- town upon Hull as named in 1299. Later became Kingston upon Hull. Mainly exporting Wool and cloth, Hull has also been a military supply port and also whaling and fishing centre. The city city took a terrible hammering the the blitz. A huge part of it being either damaged or destroyed. After the industrial era the city went into decline and only started to recover and reinvent itself in the 2000's. In 2017 Hull was awarded the title city of Culture. Probably better known for it's rugby league teams than football. Famous sons and daughters of Hull- Nick Barmby, Dean Windass, William, Wilberforce and Maureen Lipman.

Eighth v Sixteenth. Hull sit above us with a game in hand and are nine points points better off. They've won two and lost three of there last five home games. Wins- V Blackburn and Cardiff- netting three times in each game. They've failed to score only twice at home from 14 played and have kept four clean sheets. Defeats to Southampton, Watford, Sunderland and Norwich. Wins against Sheffield Wednesday, Preston, Huddersfield, Rotherham, Cardiff and Blackburn. Scored 22 times and conceded 15. Two goals from defenders, 21 from the midfield and 15 from the front two pairing of Connolly and on loan Delap from Man Citeh. One to watch if he plays is Seri- that pest that played for Fulham. Very experienced and tidy and productive with the ball. They've recently signed four players on loan from what i can see.

Really need the three points to keep in touch with the teams immediately above us. A dip in form now could see quite a gap appear.

No news on our walking wounded as i write this. Our last win up there was in 2020, three visits ago and by a solitary Ryan Leonard. goal. Weather forecast is dry and mild. Safe journey to all the loyal lions making the trip. I'd say between 600-800 going by past turn outs.

Coyl

A great insight into the history of Hull there mate. But you left out the part when the Trotters turned up…..Robin Hood, Robin Hood 🥳

Quite a few years ago a few of us would stay overnight on some northern away trips to sample a night out on the town... Hull was, er, reasonably rough and ready... Although extremely sophisticated compared with Scunthorpe which is just across the Humber.
The ironic thing is that I think most of us Millwall supporters would fit more readily into communities in places like Hull and Scunthorpe than they would in much of modern-day London, or at least the gentrified bits and the modern day east end anyway.

Went to Hull with mates as one them had a brother studying journalism up there, no wonder the locals terrorised the local student population.

Ended up at an Indie/Alternative as that's where the studious ones frequented on a Saturday night, not my thing, but upstairs they were playing some righteous dub/reggae.The walls were covered with black drapes floor to ceiling and moody atmospheric lighting at the bar, which was ok until I had had enough and couldn't find the door and went round patting the drapes, still didn't find the door and started getting the fear, too much ganja.In the end I stood in the middle of the dancefloor waiting for some to leave/enter and then I saw the light!..Halleuja.

Nerd mode-- On

Hull is a port town and a shortened down version of the actual place- Kings- town upon Hull as named in 1299. Later became Kingston upon Hull. Mainly exporting Wool and cloth, Hull has also been a military supply port and also whaling and fishing centre. The city city took a terrible hammering the the blitz. A huge part of it being either damaged or destroyed. After the industrial era the city went into decline and only started to recover and reinvent itself in the 2000's. In 2017 Hull was awarded the title city of Culture. Probably better known for it's rugby league teams than football. Famous sons and daughters of Hull- Nick Barmby, Dean Windass, William, Wilberforce and Maureen Lipman.

Eighth v Sixteenth. Hull sit above us with a game in hand and are nine points points better off. They've won two and lost three of there last five home games. Wins- V Blackburn and Cardiff- netting three times in each game. They've failed to score only twice at home from 14 played and have kept four clean sheets. Defeats to Southampton, Watford, Sunderland and Norwich. Wins against Sheffield Wednesday, Preston, Huddersfield, Rotherham, Cardiff and Blackburn. Scored 22 times and conceded 15. Two goals from defenders, 21 from the midfield and 15 from the front two pairing of Connolly and on loan Delap from Man Citeh. One to watch if he plays is Seri- that pest that played for Fulham. Very experienced and tidy and productive with the ball. They've recently signed four players on loan from what i can see.

Really need the three points to keep in touch with the teams immediately above us. A dip in form now could see quite a gap appear.

No news on our walking wounded as i write this. Our last win up there was in 2020, three visits ago and by a solitary Ryan Leonard. goal. Weather forecast is dry and mild. Safe journey to all the loyal lions making the trip. I'd say between 600-800 going by past turn outs.

Coyl
Someones been a busy boy. What isnt known by many historians is that Hull are the dirtiest bunch fo C**ts I ever saw play at the old Den.

Does anyone remember their goalkeeper, Tony Norman?, getting dogs abuse at the Den? I can't remember why but it was relentless.

Does anyone remember their goalkeeper, Tony Norman?, getting dogs abuse at the Den? I can't remember why but it was relentless.
Yes, I think he tried to push a cross over the bar but ended up pushing it into his own net. Then we started singing every song with 'Norman' in it.

"Nice one Norman, nice one son, nice one Norman let's have another one"
"No one likes him he don't care, he is Norman, super Norman"

One of the funniest bits of humour at the Old Den.

I think they were very close to us in the league at the time, so it was a tight match. If I remember correctly he made a pigs ear of a cross and directed it into his own net. The response from our lot was lethal. I think nearly the whole of the Den were singing ‘ There’s only one Tony Norman’. It was spontaneous and brilliant. Poor sod stood on his eighteen yard line for most of the match to try and distance himself from the abuse coming from the Cold Blow. Great stuff!

A great insight into the history of Hull there mate. But you left out the part when the Trotters turned up…..Robin Hood, Robin Hood 🥳
This septic Isle.
Come on lads 3 lovely pts ,how ever which way.
Feeling in my water ,repeat of Brizzle away.
COYL.

He got the affectionate banter, not abuse, because he went to take a fairly routine catch, and let it slip completely through his hands and into the net.
It really was the softest goal I can remember us ever scoring.

Members online