The Rip Messages Yesterday

wellerwasbest

Nice touch i thought and sunderland fans observed as well clapping when they put up the list of fans who had recently past away
Tbh where i was sat i could not see the list of names
It was one of the things i first thought about when they said the Club would not be reprodcing a programme , sadly often see faces more than the names i knew from the den New and old when they printed messages from family about relatives that had passed away inside

Anyway only just seen a message from the daughter of a very well known fan and former millwall player John Flaherty who mentions the tribute yesterday as he was on the list of those who had sadly departed yesterday

Funny i recall him often when he was a player standing at the players tunnel inside the ground, used to be a little group of players ,
seen a picture of him infact old Den doing this,

Was very good player as a Youth and was expected to go to have a decent career but playing against Spurs i think it was in a Youth cup games he picked up a terrible injury and he was never the same and went out of the professional game ending up at Dulwich Hamlet

Used to stand on the half way line old Den and was very very funny many of the crowd around him were in stitches with his leg pulling Jokes and things shouted out to away players down the years
Possibly thee funniest if i was forced to choose
i had not seen him for years although i know his brother still goes

I was also told yesterday about another Fan i used to see at games , was talking to a few by the cafe who knew him who told me had committed suicide !
Also another name here i recognised, but i dont think its the same person just the same name , well i hope so at least. A female

List here

Last edited:
I went to the same school as John, he was a year above me. Beaufoy school ,they had a very good side that year.

I went to the same school as John, he was a year above me. Beaufoy school ,they had a very good side that year.
Yeah rings a bell that, obviously either told by someone or read it
i kmow a few faces down the wall went to that school

sure i have got a programme of him representing South London and got Beaufoy next to his name.
I see his Daughter played football and seems to be involved now in womens football admin side

Always think of him dressed in a sheepskin

Last edited:
The names were also in the pre match on line thing you get nowadays instead of a programme. My mum’s name was on the list & by coincidence it was also her birthday so it was bit special for our family. And yes, thank you to the Sunderland fans for respecting it as well. There were a lot of names on there, it makes you think a bit. As the song says “enjoy yourself, it’s later than you think”