The mighty Lions V some dutch team- Match thread

Peckham Lion

Staff member
Last one before the season starts. The visitors are a mid table dutch team that plays in a stadium with a capacity of 12,500. Mark van Bommel and Kurt Zouma have been on there books. More recently Cantwell formerly of Norwich ( now Rangers) played for them on loan. They were once managed by former Ipswich star Frans Thijssen. Other than that i know fuck all about them.

Will we see our starting eleven for the seasons opener on Saturday? I expect lots of subs coming on so everyone gets a chance of gaining some more match fitness.

If you're going be mindful that the trains may be up the spout cause of industrial action.

Coyl

Last edited:
It 's not a rigid back five when you play with wing backs. Bryan is an attacking player with plenty of assists to his name. Lets give Rowett a chance and some credit before we go all gloomy and pessimistic. I think we've strengthened the squad, a squad that went close last season and with Long in the team. We're after a keeper, i reckon it'll be a loan from the premier if we can't get what we've targeted.

A clean slate, fresh impetus and a new season, reasons to be cheerful until otherwise.

It 's not a rigid back five when you play with wing backs. Bryan is an attacking player with plenty of assists to his name. Lets give Rowett a chance and some credit before we go all gloomy and pessimistic. I think we've strengthened the squad, a squad that went close last season and with Long in the team. We're after a keeper, i reckon it'll be a loan from the premier if we can't get what we've targeted.

A clean slate, fresh impetus and a new season, reasons to be cheerful until otherwise.
Fair enough.

In my opinion the 5 at the back doesn’t work with the cbs we have. He’s tried it & we seemed to get pinned back. We had so much success after he changed it last year so I don’t know why he’s revert.

Time will tell but I don’t think that will last long.

Fair enough.

In my opinion the 5 at the back doesn’t work with the cbs we have. He’s tried it & we seemed to get pinned back. We had so much success after he changed it last year so I don’t know why he’s revert.

Time will tell but I don’t think that will last long.
Agree with you, the gaps between the 3 slow Centre Backs are huge when we lose the ball and the wingbacks are caught up field. We can’t quickly counter attack with width without conventional wide midfielders either…… The only way I could see this working (and I don’t) is replacing excellent players in Hutch, Cooper and Wallace with faster players but then we will lose our Aerial threat which makes up a lot of our goals and we will need to buy decent expensive wingbacks but if they get injured they are hard to replace.

Last edited:
Yeah I think Hutch in particular is a worry, he has been one of my favourite ever CB’s to watch down the den. He played bit part last year & we expect him to do better this year? With all his injuries etc, it’s a stretch.

If he sticks with 5 at the back & Long starts our first league game in goal…

God help us all.
Tell you what happened a lot last year when we played 5 at the back, or 3 with wingbacks. We lost the bloody ball to easily with a bad cross or misplaced pass or just poor control. Thus allowing teams to counter us all upfield. Now with better players and possibly better use of the ball this year might be different. Let’s hope.

Can’t believe GR is even contemplating 5 at the back again given how slow and getting on our CB’s are. It means we lose a midfield/attacking player and given we have some really exciting young players in the squad now it seems crazy. Will reserve judgement of course.

What i dont get is that Long is dodgy with long shots but is good at rushing out. So why the fuck do we drop deep to encourage teams to shoot from distance with bodies in the way, instead of playing a high line where if teams do break then long will rush out to cut off a shooting angle?

What i dont get is that Long is dodgy with long shots but is good at rushing out. So why the fuck do we drop deep to encourage teams to shoot from distance with bodies in the way, instead of playing a high line where if teams do break then long will rush out to cut off a shooting angle?
play Bart as cb and have rush goalies,winner winner,Chicken dinner

To me, the problem with 5 at the back is not actually the defenders. It's the fact he does it with one striker and two playing wider. Like in the first half against Charlton. The striker gets isolated and then we are short in the middle. Effectively it's a 5, 2, 3 defending and a 3, 4, 3 going forward. This also causes the wing backs to be ineffective because they end up in the same areas as the wide forwards leaving nothing in the middle.
To make it work properly you need a 5, 2, 1, 2 defending and a 3, 4, 1, 2 going forward. Doing this, the 10 can drop in to help the centre mid two but you still have a good out as it's 2 forwards against 2 rather than say Bradshaw on his own.
Then going forward, the wing backs have more space to attack wide and you have 2 in the middle to aim for plus the no 10 backing them up but still gave protection for the 2 mids if needed.

Sittard The town is part of the municipality of Sittard-Geleen and has almost 37.500 inhabitants (in 2016).
Three notable people from Sittard are:

Referee, 'Leopold Sylvain Horn' was born in Sittard. He was in charge of
the 'Match of the Century'... England 3 - 6 Hungary.

'Frederic Adolph Hoefer', was a Dutch lieutenant-general. He too was born in Sittard. He had to cut his military career short because he fell off his Horse and did himself an injury.

'Toon Hermans' came from Sittard:
Among his many memorable contributions, perhaps none are as widely recognized as the song "Vierentwintig rozen" – "Twenty-four roses", included in many of his one-man shows over the decades. This song consists of a long listing of completely unrelated but numbered items "three little boys playing football in the alley way – 16 sailboats anchored in the sun-lit bay" and on and on and on (and different ones for each new version of his show); and then ending with "and Twenty-four roses, Twenty-four roses, Twenty-four roses – for you". It became almost as a ritual when the first notes of this song were played by the orchestra, the audiences would erupt in a loud ovation, and Toon Hermans would once again delight his audience with his signature mixture of humor, genuine feeling, mastery of words, love of the theater, and love of life.

:thumbup:

To me, the problem with 5 at the back is not actually the defenders. It's the fact he does it with one striker and two playing wider. Like in the first half against Charlton. The striker gets isolated and then we are short in the middle. Effectively it's a 5, 2, 3 defending and a 3, 4, 3 going forward. This also causes the wing backs to be ineffective because they end up in the same areas as the wide forwards leaving nothing in the middle.
To make it work properly you need a 5, 2, 1, 2 defending and a 3, 4, 1, 2 going forward. Doing this, the 10 can drop in to help the centre mid two but you still have a good out as it's 2 forwards against 2 rather than say Bradshaw on his own.
Then going forward, the wing backs have more space to attack wide and you have 2 in the middle to aim for plus the no 10 backing them up but still gave protection for the 2 mids if needed.
Let’s hope these two formations will be implemented today, as well as at the start of the season, going forwards!