The John Berylson Stand?

Probably not the best time to bring this up, but where does this leave us as a club? Presumably JB was fronting the money for the new training ground, new players etc, so what happens now and in the coming weeks, let alone the long-term future of the club.
Yes, its too early and the club know there will be obvious concerns and uncertainty, for staff and fans. The building contracts will be watertight I’m sure for unexpected events plus the club should have succession plans and emergency plans that they will no doubt advise in due course.

Last edited:
Something should definitely be done in his memory and suitable to the way he acted, never seeking glory or in it for himself. He would probably baulk at the idea of a statue but something similar outside or attached to the main stand where us fans can pay our respects? I don't know.

I always loved this picture of him after the Leeds play-off game.

hh.jpg

There can’t be many clubs’ supporters in the county that love and appreciate their respective owners/Chairman as much as we did John Berylson.
For me naming a stand after the great man is not enough. I suggest that (1) the club try and get the council to change the name Zappa rd to John Berylson st /rd or way. (2) Erect a statue and (3) as you suggest rename the ground the John Berylson Den. We owe so much to him it is the least we can do
John Berylson way. Love it.

The new training ground will be his legacy so i think it be would fitting if that was named after him. As for something at the Den, a statue and a muarl of the good man would be a wonderful gesture. Renaming Zampa or Stockholm road in memory of Mr Berylson also springs to mind.

Last edited:
Yes, its too early and the club know there will be obvious concerns and uncertainty, for staff and fans. The building contracts will be watertight I’m sure for unexpected events plus the club should have succession plans and emergency plans that they will no doubt advise in due course.
His son is on the board, and I’m not sure of his involvement or interest, but it would be nice if he would carry on his father’s work and interest in Millwall.

Always difficult to know the best way to remember someone. The club have usually got it right in paying tribute to our history and people who made a difference. Quite like the way the roads round the Stoke ground are all named after past players. Also remember at Blackburn how many people wanted their photos taken with the statue of Jack Walker.

Not for me that one. Not that JB isn't deserving of a massive tribute, but there's too much history that has gone before 2006 to justify adding his name to The Den. 'The Den' has always had huge significance to us, I don't think it would be right to alter that.
The one thing only a few know is would we will still be playing at the ground if it wasn't for JB?
He led the fight to stay and wrote the cheques to pay for the fight.
Add to that, is it Chestnut Hill ventures that will be involved in the regen on behalf of the club?
Time will tell but it could be fitting that the ground is named after him.

Last edited:
Something should definitely be done in his memory and suitable to the way he acted, never seeking glory or in it for himself. He would probably baulk at the idea of a statue but something similar outside or attached to the main stand where us fans can pay our respects? I don't know.

I always loved this picture of him after the Leeds play-off game.

View attachment 23034
Got the YouTube link Robbo of us singing USA USA to him?

People are suggesting we should name a stand after the great man. And I agree, for what he’s done for the club, and for the sort of man he was, it would be deserved.

The question is what name would we drop? We couldn’t drop the Kitchener stand, obviously. And the CBL and Dockers are a nod to our history. Naming the away end after him wouldn’t be as poignant. It’s a difficult one.

I would even suggest maybe a statue of him somewhere as well?. Of him after the play off final holding his big cigar or holding the cup aloft. Would that be going too far? I think not. This man’s legacy will go on at Millwall for a long time and as such I think he deserves to be remembered for a very long time.

RIP John
The John Berylson Den

People are suggesting we should name a stand after the great man. And I agree, for what he’s done for the club, and for the sort of man he was, it would be deserved.

The question is what name would we drop? We couldn’t drop the Kitchener stand, obviously. And the CBL and Dockers are a nod to our history. Naming the away end after him wouldn’t be as poignant. It’s a difficult one.

I would even suggest maybe a statue of him somewhere as well?. Of him after the play off final holding his big cigar or holding the cup aloft. Would that be going too far? I think not. This man’s legacy will go on at Millwall for a long time and as such I think he deserves to be remembered for a very long time.

RIP John
I like the idea of renaming the North Stand as it would have John sat looking over the Kitchener and Dockers stand opposite the CBL. You cant underestimate what the man has done for us and the years of stability his ensued. He deserves a stand, a statue the lot in my humble.