The John Berylson Stand?

Wippa

People are suggesting we should name a stand after the great man. And I agree, for what he’s done for the club, and for the sort of man he was, it would be deserved.

The question is what name would we drop? We couldn’t drop the Kitchener stand, obviously. And the CBL and Dockers are a nod to our history. Naming the away end after him wouldn’t be as poignant. It’s a difficult one.

I would even suggest maybe a statue of him somewhere as well?. Of him after the play off final holding his big cigar or holding the cup aloft. Would that be going too far? I think not. This man’s legacy will go on at Millwall for a long time and as such I think he deserves to be remembered for a very long time.

RIP John

I'm sure in time the right thing will be done whether that be naming something in his memory or having a statue outside the ground, maybe the club could put some suggestions forward and the fans can vote on them along with consulting the family when the time is right. That's something for later, a lot of people will be grieving for the foreseeable future, i'm sure the right thing will be done.

Depending on who replaces JB and as long as the club continues to be run as it has been under JB, the right thing will be done in time with the help of the supporters.

What about naming the ground the John Berylson Den?
That leads the way for me, he epitomises what Millwall fans are about, he fought to save the club over a long period of time, he fought off Lewisham Council and the regen people, those are just 2 examples of the many battles he will have fought on all of our behalfs including all the financial battles weve had over the years that he fought too.

Not for me that one. Not that JB isn't deserving of a massive tribute, but there's too much history that has gone before 2006 to justify adding his name to The Den. 'The Den' has always had huge significance to us, I don't think it would be right to alter that.
That's why when the time is right i think the club should gather some suggestions from fans, the Beryslon family and people connected to the club and put a poll on the official website, they could hand out flyers to the home fans at games to fill out and hand in at the ticket office etc.

People are suggesting we should name a stand after the great man. And I agree, for what he’s done for the club, and for the sort of man he was, it would be deserved.

The question is what name would we drop? We couldn’t drop the Kitchener stand, obviously. And the CBL and Dockers are a nod to our history. Naming the away end after him wouldn’t be as poignant. It’s a difficult one.

I would even suggest maybe a statue of him somewhere as well?. Of him after the play off final holding his big cigar or holding the cup aloft. Would that be going too far? I think not. This man’s legacy will go on at Millwall for a long time and as such I think he deserves to be remembered for a very long time.

RIP John
Perhaps The John Berylson - CBL Stand? Bit long winded but it ties his name in with the club and the supporters that he always championed

What about naming the ground the John Berylson Den?
There can’t be many clubs’ supporters in the county that love and appreciate their respective owners/Chairman as much as we did John Berylson.
For me naming a stand after the great man is not enough. I suggest that (1) the club try and get the council to change the name Zappa rd to John Berylson st /rd or way. (2) Erect a statue and (3) as you suggest rename the ground the John Berylson Den. We owe so much to him it is the least we can do

RIP John
Not a fan of statues in general but in the case of JB I think it would be fitting and your idea re the play off final is bang on. I think history will show that his importance to Millwall will be more significant than any other off field person

For me the obvious one is renaming the away stand. While JB was a great chairman, The Den is not just a stadiums name but apart of our DNA as a club and should never be changed either for a chairman or a player.

Probably not the best time to bring this up, but where does this leave us as a club? Presumably JB was fronting the money for the new training ground, new players etc, so what happens now and in the coming weeks, let alone the long-term future of the club.

I dunno mate, I think naming the North Stand after him would be ok, despite it being for visiting supporters. It's still part of our ground and we could be described as 'playing towards the Berylson end', or 'the cbl end'. I quite like that.
The north stand is the end all Millwall fans can see it when we are watching the game. I think its fitting.

Staff online

Members online