Team v Watford

silverlion

Staff member
A good opportunity for us to bounce back from Tuesday’s disappointing defeat against Blackburn. I watched the extended highlights and we were a little unfortunate not to score an equalising goal in the second half. Mind you, we have Bart to thank for keeping us in the game with two excellent saves. You would like to think that the team will be busting a gut to get a result at Vicarage Road to reward the 2,100 travelling fans. I shall be one of them! However, we have a number of injury concerns and there will need to be changes in the starting line up. Joe had a scan yesterday so I cannot see the medical team working miracles to get him into the starting line up tomorrow. It is a groin issue so I can see him out for two or three weeks as these type of injuries take time. So we shall be looking for a replacement at LB. We do have two players returning from injury this week and both Hutch and Rab were back at training yesterday. I think it would be optimistic to think they can train Thursday and Friday and make the starting line up on Saturday. The bench would be the best they could hope for.

There is little doubt that the big Pole will wear the gloves. Trueman seems to be a permanent bench warmer with a new contract last season and is clearly happy to draw a fat wedge each week but never get between the sticks! But, what do I know? BNC had a decent game on Tuesday and Danny seems to be working his way back to catch the managers eye and so his return seems unlikely at the moment. Wes, Cooper and Murray seem the only ones to start at CB with Longman returning to a LWB role.

Casper is nailed on in midfield but I don’t think Billy did enough on Tuesday to get another start. The choice is either Sav or Campbell or even Esse. The latter could be a gamble. Flem looks likely to keep his number ten role and Bradshaw as the lone striker with Emakhu looking for an improved game as his partner. There are few options as starters but maybe Rab might get a cameo 15 minutes at the end?

My thoughts are,

Bart
BNC Wes, Cooper Murray Longman
Casper Campbell
Flem
Bradshaw Emakhu

Subs Trueman Danny Nino Hutch Billy Esse Honeyman Rab Leahy

I noticed the ominous black tape on Bradshaw's thigh on Tuesday. Obviously trying to protect his muscles. Is he fully fit? He might be more fit than Nisbit and has to play.

Just a little thought, Is it Maliki? Left back maybe. Also as his defending is questionable try Emakhu up top. He can hold the ball up, turn too and got a dig on him. Just my opinion

I thought Honeyman did well when he came on. Could be worth a start in Flemmings position and move Flemming up top.

Based on midweek performances / player availability I reckon this will be the line up:

Bart
BNC Harding Cooper Murray
Honeyman Saville De Norre Esse
Flemming
Bradshaw

Just a little thought, Is it Maliki? Left back maybe. Also as his defending is questionable try Emakhu up top. He can hold the ball up, turn too and got a dig on him. Just my opinion
Emakhu’s defensive capabilities are questionable because he is a centre forward.

It’s like asking Nisbet to track back. Not gonna work too well.

A good opportunity for us to bounce back from Tuesday’s disappointing defeat against Blackburn. I watched the extended highlights and we were a little unfortunate not to score an equalising goal in the second half. Mind you, we have Bart to thank for keeping us in the game with two excellent saves. You would like to think that the team will be busting a gut to get a result at Vicarage Road to reward the 2,100 travelling fans. I shall be one of them! However, we have a number of injury concerns and there will need to be changes in the starting line up. Joe had a scan yesterday so I cannot see the medical team working miracles to get him into the starting line up tomorrow. It is a groin issue so I can see him out for two or three weeks as these type of injuries take time. So we shall be looking for a replacement at LB. We do have two players returning from injury this week and both Hutch and Rab were back at training yesterday. I think it would be optimistic to think they can train Thursday and Friday and make the starting line up on Saturday. The bench would be the best they could hope for.

There is little doubt that the big Pole will wear the gloves. Trueman seems to be a permanent bench warmer with a new contract last season and is clearly happy to draw a fat wedge each week but never get between the sticks! But, what do I know? BNC had a decent game on Tuesday and Danny seems to be working his way back to catch the managers eye and so his return seems unlikely at the moment. Wes, Cooper and Murray seem the only ones to start at CB with Longman returning to a LWB role.

Casper is nailed on in midfield but I don’t think Billy did enough on Tuesday to get another start. The choice is either Sav or Campbell or even Esse. The latter could be a gamble. Flem looks likely to keep his number ten role and Bradshaw as the lone striker with Emakhu looking for an improved game as his partner. There are few options as starters but maybe Rab might get a cameo 15 minutes at the end?

My thoughts are,

Bart
BNC Wes, Cooper Murray Longman
Casper Campbell
Flem
Bradshaw Emakhu

Subs Trueman Danny Nino Hutch Billy Esse Honeyman Rab Leahy
Zian Flemming has been involved in three goals in his last two away league games (2 goals, 1 assist), and netted a goal in their 2-0 win at Watford last season. The Dutchman is also top for shots on target (8) and shots off target (10).

Centre-half Jake Cooper has attempted the most passes (604) and the most in his own half (339), while Casper De Norre is top for passes in the opposition’s half (317).

Defensively, Cooper has made the most blocks (15) and clearances (45) with Billy Mitchell having made the most interceptions (14).

Bart
Wes, Cooper, Bryan (Malaki)
BNC , Honeyman, Fleming,de Norre, Long man
Bradshaw, Emakhu
Feel bit more confident as we're away from home ,🤞 3 very valuable pts.
COYL

Zian Flemming has been involved in three goals in his last two away league games (2 goals, 1 assist), and netted a goal in their 2-0 win at Watford last season. The Dutchman is also top for shots on target (8) and shots off target (10).

Centre-half Jake Cooper has attempted the most passes (604) and the most in his own half (339), while Casper De Norre is top for passes in the opposition’s half (317).

Defensively, Cooper has made the most blocks (15) and clearances (45) with Billy Mitchell having made the most interceptions (14).

Stats are all very well, BUT…I know that one stat is also that Cooper has the most successfully completed passes.
Given that he spends most of his time passing to his defensive partner, it doesn’t really tell you much, does it?

We have probably the best squad we've had in ages but despite this, there are a number of questions about what is our best team. Cooper, Wes, BNC, De Norre and Flemming should all play but apart from that, you can interchange the rest when it comes to a first XI, which is our problem. We are in a state of flux and until we get a new manager this will likely continue.

I’m just sitting here contemplating things. Was just reading somebody’s stats on players. I noticed one player had 8 shots ontarget 10 off. Im assuming most people have stood in a goal and realise how bloody big they are. So call me cynical if you want but how

do professionals miss the target. They are pro and train most days to hit It. They are not doing their job correctly. So I believe, just my opinion that any player who misses the target should be fined a small amount then double it if it goes over the bar. All monies go to a blindness charity.

any player who misses the target should be fined a small amount then double it if it goes over the bar. All monies go to a blindness charity.
Sounds like the sort of thing Cloughie would do.
Trouble is that it would provide a disincentive to players shooting.
How many times does an off target shot get deflected or fall to an attacking player and then end up in the net?
Quite a few, I would suggest.

Members online