Team v Swansea

silverlion

Staff member
A tough game against a side that put 4 past Morison’s Cardiff on Saturday taking all the bragging rites in South Wales. Mind you, if you’d seen the highlights then you could only conclude that the defending was on a par with what you might see over Blackheath. They had a field day and I am absolutely sure we will not allow them that much room to score at will. However, they have nothing to play for and may feel they can play without any fear. On the other hand, they might feel that they only have to pull their shirts on and we will roll over just like Cardiff. I don’t think that will be the case. However, we do have to be wary. For those of us who have supported the Mighty Lions for decades know that this could be a big banana skin and we could walk off at 9.45 tomorow night with our tails between our legs. On the flip side, we could grasp the challenge of two winnable home games and be up for it from the first whistle. Who knows? One certainty is that we have momentum and we did play well against the Hatters and were unlucky not to walk away with all three points. Can we pick up from where we left off at Kenilworth Road? That is the 64 thousand dollar question.

Bart had a decent game on Saturday and made one outstanding save from Cornick but could do little about the two he conceded. He should start. Likewise Danny who plays with energy, drive and super confidence. Ballard is a rock at the back and so is Cooper but he must learn to put the ball in the opposition’s net! Murray is nailed on.

Likewise Billy and Sav, who was praised by TT on the Drive Home on YouTube for having a very good game. Molly was less impressive but I still expect him to start. Jed ran himself ragged on Saturday and played a part in both of our goals. A timely pass with his knee set up Tom for the first and a decent pass to Burke on the left set up Benik for the second. His energy is key to our forward movement. Bradshaw can’t wait to get his boots on and Benik is hoping for another golden opportunity similar to Saturday for him to stroke home goal number 101.

My thoughts are,

Bart
Danny Ballard Cooper Murray
Billy Sav Molly
Jed Bradshaw Benik

Subs Long Pearce Leonard Mahoney Dutch Burke Burey

Dependent on his fitness, I wouldn't mind seeing Dutch getting a start over Saville. Purely as before his injury he was in excellent form.

Missing out Ojo was an oversight. Put him on the bench as he has a much greater chance of getting on instead of Mahoney.

Yes OJO was going well, pre injury. Mahoney has played 54 times in almost 3 seasons, many of those as sub, even if Wallace leaves, with Bennett, Burey, Burke and Ojo , I cant see the value in having Mahoney stay, he's been unlucky with injuries, but maybe its time to move on.

Saville had a good game saturday
I'd agree, and not doubting how Saville has grown into this season. Just think Dutch adds a little more in that position, particularly in they way he had been playing before injuring himself. Even if it means, and dare I say it, Billy Mitchell sits out a game or 2 to bring in Dutch alongside Saville, and let Saville progress a little further forward than Mitchell does. Again, nothing wrong with Billy Mitchell and the way he has played this year. Dutch adds that good bit of bite in the defensive midfield role, especially when he doesn't get carded. All 3 offer a hell of alot more than Evans.

Has the makings of a good game, we have players back and both teams seem to be scoring… that’s it I have just jinxed it so it will be 0-0 now !!!

Like i say, i think he's playing to deep. Pointless trying to push on with the ball anyway when Jed is screaming and demanding it. I still believe that we sold the wrong player to Boro when Saville went there instead of Jed.
I agree, but then Rowett did the same with Woods. He had him play much deeper and that made him much less effective.

Being 99% certain we’ll be in the Championship again next season, perhaps it will be to Saville’s advantage that Jed has gone, and he can step into his boots and play the way he did before his move to Boro?

Here’s hoping!

Like to see Leonard in for Mitchell as he as more attacking nouce then billyp
Mitch plays safe a lot sideways and backward but that boys got some engine We look a better team with him in the middle
I do like Leonard but he won’t be up to speed after a long time out
If he does get a game no complaints from me I got all faith In GR
But lets be honest its looking good for the running with the lads coming back COYL