Team v Swans

silverlion

Staff member
A tough game to follow after Saturday’s excitement. We will need all we have got and more if we are to get anything out of this one. Last season at the Den we got passed off the park and suffered a narrow defeat so we will be out to get some revenge tomorrow. I can confidently predict changes to the starting line up. I posted a few weeks ago about whether Bennett could start three games on the spin and was proved right. One or two games were likely but a third could be a bridge too far..and sadly that is the case. It is not only up front where there will be changes but GR mentioned in his post match interview a couple of times our vulnerability in defence so I see changes there too.

I can’t see a change between the sticks. Bart made some important saves in the second half to keep us in it so I think he will start. Danny likewise as it appears he has got his head around a new contract which he may sign this week. I saw a fiery side to his character on Saturday when he was not slow in giving his version of events to Hamer after he had chopped down Tyler. Central defence could have changes. I am impressed by Cresswell but he can’t keep making mistakes and help to concede goals. It is time, especially at a difficult away ground to bring in some experience so I expect Hutch to make a welcome return. Murray was touch and go for Saturday and it depends whether he had any reaction to his knee problem about starting tomorrow Leonard could step in and replace him if necessary. Cooper should make up the back three with Molly slotting in on the left. The Topalloj fan club…led by Paris…will have to be patient for his debut.

Midfield, as usual has issues. Billy was under pressure on Saturday but I thought he acquitted himself OK. There are some on here who do not agree. For me he is nailed on and the same could be said for Honeyman. Sav made a match winning contribution against the Sky Blues and gave a decent account of himself in the second half at Bramall Lane. Maybe now is the time to give him a start and bench Shack? It’s a tough call.

Upfront there will be a change. Benik should start as he has goals in him and one tomorrow would be ideal. Who partners him is open to question. MOM Burey is top of the list but he can have his infuriating moments. He is better as an out and out striker rather than as a ten where the game can pass him by. As a striker he looks a handful but he has to hold the ball up better and not give it away cheaply. We will spend long periods of time at the Liberty Stadium without the ball and the last thing we want is to give it away cheaply. Other options are Olaofe who looks full of running but a poor touch or to consider Vogi, assuming his work permit is in order. He is a complete unknown but he doesn’t look as if he will take prisoners. Maybe he could be an impact sub tomorrow and then we might see what he has to offer.

My thoughts are,

Bart
Danny Leonard Hutch Cooper Molly
Billy Sav
Honeyman
Benik Burey

Subs Long Cresswell Murray Evans Shack Olaofe Vogi

I think this is pretty much spot-on, except Murray for Leonard. Shack needs a rest and as you say @silverlion, Cresswell has made a few errors of late.

We will need to be fully concentrated against a team that will dominate possession. The opportunity for counter-attacks should suit Tyler and his lightning pace and he should be full of confidence after Saturday and GR's praise.

The next two games for us will be very similar, we will see very little of the ball and it will need to be a defensive masterclass. Hutch back as captain and organising is a must for me. It's a shame Flemming is unavailable as these are precisely the sort of games he was bought for.

I am very excited to see what the German can bring. He has something about him.

I think this is pretty much spot-on, except Murray for Leonard. Shack needs a rest and as you say @silverlion, Cresswell has made a few errors of late.

We will need to be fully concentrated against a team that will dominate possession. The opportunity for counter-attacks should suit Tyler and his lightning pace and he should be full of confidence after Saturday and GR's praise.

The next two games for us will be very similar, we will see very little of the ball and it will need to be a defensive masterclass. Hutch back as captain and organising is a must for me. It's a shame Flemming is unavailable as these are precisely the sort of games he was bought for.

I am very excited to see what the German can bring. He has something about him.
Yeah i agree, to be honest they are gonna have a lot of the ball and thats fine, we have to hit them on the counter attack because we are never gonna be able to outplay or out pass them. We need a defensive masterclass from the team.

Lets see if the Ginger Terminator is ready to play. Skid Marks Nan needs a rest as she has done her back in.

Reactions: Owl
Personally I’d prefer

Bart
Dan cresswell Hutch Coops Malone
Sav shack
Honeyman
Benik Burey

I’d rest Billy after Saturday and bring Sav in with Shack also Hutch for Murray just to strengthen the back 3 which has looked our weak point maybe bringing Murray and Leonard on if we need to shore up at the back

agree with him though the next two games will be tough with not much possession so we can’t give the ball away cheaply as our midfield and defence did far too often v Cov be nice to win up their Friday finally though but this is where the squad comes into it with 3 in under a week ,hopefully Flemming might be back for Norwich

Yeah i agree, to be honest they are gonna have a lot of the ball and thats fine, we have to hit them on the counter attack because we are never gonna be able to outplay or out pass them. We need a defensive masterclass from the team.

Lets see if the Ginger Terminator is ready to play. Skid Marks Nan needs a rest as she has done her back in.
Burey assuredly shook things loose for us - makes sense to give Vog a go if he's legal now.

I would find a place in the side for Leonard whenever he is available, he played well on Saturday when called upon. He's calm, can find a pass and put a tackle in. Saville i would like to see play further up the pitch just as he was on his first stint with us. He got goals and assists and ain't too bad with a free kick either. I think he's wasted when stuck at centre mid. Two tough aways in three days so i expect Rowett will shuffle things about a bit to keep things fresh. Flemming and Bradshaw should be back for our next home game.

Last edited:
Rich Cawley of the SLP confirms that GR thinks that Bennett could be out for eight weeks. He also speculates that Vogi could be cleared to play some part tomorrow. Also that GR thinks that he may be tempted to give either Bradshaw or Flem 15/20 minutes off the bench on Friday. Both should be back to training next Monday

With two tough away games on paper only a few days apart we have enough at the back and midfield to rotate and rest some legs but upfront there isn't many options.

Bart
Danny, Hutch, Cooper, Topol
Leonard, Honeyman, Saville, Molly
Afobe, Burey
Saville playing further forward, like Peckham, think he's wasted sitting deeper
If Bennett was fit would put Burey in for Molly.
From what I saw Murray looked a bit of the pace Saturday, so maybe keep him for Friday.
IMHO

I wouldn't be surprised if we start with a 5-4-1 formation.
I also wouldn't be surprised if he plays with 2 forwards who will collide with each other in the 3rd minute and both be out for 2 weeks because of concussion

NAD’s take on the team.

Białkowski; McNamara, Leonard, Hutchinson, Cooper, Wallace; Shackleton, Saville; Honeyman; Afobe, Burey

No Billy?

I think with Cresswell, he learns on the job or not at all, he's clearly class. I would play him , maybe drop for this one, to keep Hutchison interested, but he showed he is no slouch chasing back last week, so gives us a bit of pace across the back, which Ballard has. With Saville in for Mitchell, is makes us a little slow through the middle now. Definately Wallace ahead of Malone, if he does not play in the middle, he was poor on Saturday, but he got away with it, I am sure it wont happen two games in a row or even this season. I would prefer Leonard in the three midfield if playing.

Bart
Mcnamara Hutchison Cooper Wallace
Leonard
Shackelton Saville Burey
Honeyman
Afobe

Subs Long Cresswell Malone Evans Billy Olaofe Vogi

Where's Hastings with Mama's March Day Chit Chat Thread?

If it's not up in the next 30 minutes, mate, you'll be getting your Jotters after only one game!

:grinning:

I think with Cresswell, he learns on the job or not at all, he's clearly class. I would play him , maybe drop for this one, to keep Hutchison interested, but he showed he is no slouch chasing back last week, so gives us a bit of pace across the back, which Ballard has. With Saville in for Mitchell, is makes us a little slow through the middle now. Definately Wallace ahead of Malone, if he does not play in the middle, he was poor on Saturday, but he got away with it, I am sure it wont happen two games in a row or even this season. I would prefer Leonard in the three midfield if playing.

Bart
Mcnamara Hutchison Cooper Wallace
Leonard
Shackelton Saville Burey
Honeyman
Afobe

Subs Long Cresswell Malone Evans Billy Olaofe Vogi
Ballard doesn't have any pace at the moment, broke his foot Saturday, are we sure he is still not one of ours.