Team v Saints

silverlion

Staff member
This is about as tough as it gets. They have lost their last two and think that the turmoil that we are in will indicate that we are there for the taking. However, they haven’t factored in that we have an all time legend and super motivator at the helm now and whatever happens at St Mary’s there will be no lack of effort from the Lions. Reality says that we have the same players that Joe had so there will have to be a sea change of attitude to change our fortunes. My team predictions will be even more of a guess than normal but you can be sure that Neil will almost certainly revert to a 4-4-2. The first big question is who wears the gloves. It was Neil who signed Bart so will he return. Like most of the decisions he will make it will be based on what he has seen at Calmont Road and who looks up for the fight. My guess is that he may settle on Shark just because he has played regularly this season but Bart has been the proverbially bench warmer. I would be very surprised if Danny does not start. Neil has monitored his development for years and he was last week’s MOM. Cooper is bound to start but who partners him in the middle of the back four. Leonard did not have his most distinguished game last week so he could make way for Wes or Tango. It’s a tough call. Murray is the only option at LB so he is probably nailed on.

Midfield is a big debate. He knows Billy well and also Sav but Casper can be our star. Honeyman in the middle too can be a threat and is there a place for Esse too? It is a tough call and almost anybody’s guess. Neil will certainly want some pace wide so maybe Longman could start or even Mayor. Up front Tom should start but will he partner Oba or even Emakhu. He could even push Flem up there. Whatever, the Lions will be roaring and I only wish I could be there with my mates from Block 29.

My thoughts are,

Shark
Danny Leonard Cooper Murray
Esse Sav Casper Longman
Tom Oba

Subs Bart Wes Tango Billy Honeyman Flem Mayor Watmore Emakhu

He’s not going to drop Sarkic without seeing him play but he’s let in seven goals and only made one save in our last two matches. Of course they were not all his fault but he doesn’t inspire confidence.
Leonard has had a hand in three or four of those goals but he’s usually reliable so has to start (as Harding looks shot to pieces) I’d be tempted to go back to Billy & Sav in midfield because whatever faults Mitchell has we were half way up the table when they played together. Oh & ditch most of the loanees!
Boring but only Tom up front I’m afraid & play for a draw
Sarkic (but would rather Bart)
Danny Leonard (or Tango) Cooper Wallace
BNC Mitchell Sav Honeyman
Flemming
Tom

I know a lot of people think Harris is nailed on to play 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 and it is his preferred formation I think but he also played three at the back at times since his first spell with us.

Will he pick those he knows and can rely on? I think he might. I also think Zian will be restored to his no.10 role and could really benefit from playing under NH.

It will be a very hard game, not many more difficult than this.

Bart
Danny Tango Coops Murray
Billy Sav
Longman Esse Honeyman
Flemming

2 goals for us: Curling strike from Esse into the top corner and a header from Zian

Seeing as Bomber has played 4231 recently with cambridge, and he's seen how we've been playing I'd guess he'll do similar here so.
Sark
Danny Tango Cooper Bryan
Sav Casper
Esse Zian Mayor
Bradshaw

Bart BNC Leonard Harding Murray Billy Oba

Potentially Emakhu and/or Longman on the bench depending on how attacking he feels, in place of maybe Harding or Leonard depending on his health

Sarkic
Danny, Tanganga, Cooper, Wallace
BNC, Leonard, Fleming, Casper, Longman
Tom /I'm Afobe
Would be surprised if he went 2 up top , first game ,bit cautious. They are a side that want to pass the ball all fucking day long , so have to get at em. Huddersfield stuck 3 past them and by all accounts could have got more. Even with a 5 man midfield we have to be positive and above all please fucking God TAKE OUR CHANCES.
COYL

Look at how Hudders pressed them to win the ball back, but the Saints show how dangerous they can be.

Bart

Danny Mac, Cooper, Harding, Wallace
BNC, Casper, Leonard, Longman,
Flemming, Bradshaw

Sarkic, Tanganga, Billy, Campbell, Saville, Emakhu, Honeyman, Esse + someone else to make up the bench who won't come on!

Sarkic
Tanga, Leonard, Cooper (last chance saloon), Murray (Bryan still suspended?)
Longman, Honeyman, Saville
De Norre
Tom, Obafemi

Bart

McNamara Leonard Cooper Wallace

N.Cuffy. De Norre Saville. Honeyman

Bradshaw Emakhu
Sorry mate but can’t play Honeyman out wide i.e Rowett. If you’re playing him, which I would , in the middle. I went Cov away in the home end with my brother in law and he said what a good player he is . Hopefully NH will put round pegs in round holes 🙏🙏