Team v Saints

silverlion

Staff member
Amidst all the hype, speculation, rumour and counter rumour over the past 14 days we still have a match to play on Saturday at the Den against a difficult opponent. Make no mistake, this will not be easy. They are a decent side who are up near the top with some good players and amongst them is Adam Armstrong who showed us where the net was a few seasons back when playing for Coventry. Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see him and his current team come unstuck on Saturday. We shall see. I was at Watford last Saturday to watch us get a point that was so nearly three and I am hoping that we can follow that performance up with another decent show at the Den. AB certainly got our team up for the fight at Vicarage Road and with our injured list getting shorter and maybe our new man sitting in the stand perhaps this could be the start of a return to some good home form.

Hopefully the big Pole and Cooper have had words about clearing the ball and Bart will wear the gloves. Frankly there is little choice as Trueman seems to be the permanent bench warmer who has never given an interview on the OS or expressed an opinion about wanting to start. So, Bart it is then. Danny was certainly at his feisty best last week and I would be surprised if he didn’t start. The first big question is whether Hutch is fit to start. His drive and leadership have been missed over the past few weeks but whether he has trained well and is ready to lead the team out is anybody‘s guess. He could start but if not then Wes and Cooper should fill in the CB spots with Murray slotting in on the left of maybe even starting Longman there. It’s a tough call.

The four across the middle worked well before BNC ran out of puff in the 92nd minute and allowed Danny to face mission impossible with two to mark and from the resulting cross they scored their equaliser. Casper had his usual fluent game and Sav, his partner deserved to be MOM. Honeyman looked good wide left with energy and threat and should start but if AB has doubts then Longman is ready to step in. Our Dutch wizard looked good last week and scored with his head which I think was a first. He should be in a 10 with either Tom or Rab in front of him. My bet would be Tom.

My thoughts are,

Bart
Danny Wes Cooper Murray
BNC Casper Sav Longman
Flem
Tom

Subs Trueman Hutch Nino Billy Honeyman Esse Emakhu Rab Leahy

Just seen the pictures of us training at Calmont Road yesterday and both Campbell and Leonard were both in the pics. I assume then that Campbell is no longer sick and Leonard is beginning to make a return. Could they feature tomorrow? Who knows?

Just seen the pictures of us training at Calmont Road yesterday and both Campbell and Leonard were both in the pics. I assume then that Campbell is no longer sick and Leonard is beginning to make a return. Could they feature tomorrow? Who knows?
Silver I thought we were playing Saturday!

Trueman
BNC
Adom Malaki
Wes
Hutchinson
Casper
Esse
Saville
Longman
Emakhu
Flemming

The unpicked are subs

Bart

McNamara Harding Cooper Wallace

Norton-Cuffy De Norre Saville. Honeyman

Fleming
Emakhu

I’d start with Casper and Savs in the middle. Honeyman on the left attacking role. Wes and Coops at the back. Bart is a shoe in, slightly uncomfortable about that. I’d also stick Emak up front in a pairing with Tom or Rab. LB? maybe Murrey. BNC on the right. RB, Danny or Leonard, if fit.

Fuck knows, maybe a back three might be better with 5 in midfield considering the opposition? Thankfully not my call.

Edit, fuk me, I’ve forgotten the Dutch man, this manager lark isn’t easy 🤣

Last edited:
People calling for Longman on the wing must have missed the Blackburn game, he looked lost. Must prefer him cutting in from LWB if that’s the formation.

Hutchinson and Leonard are available again. Watmore still a bit off full fitness again. Had a feeling when he signed that we wouldn't get much out of him. Sarkic a few weeks off too.

Southampton like to play the ball out from the goalie and seldom kick long so like the teams earlier in the season we have to shut them down quick before their passing game overwhelms us , we cannot play with just 1 up front we really need to press them into mistakes otherwise it will be a game chasing shadows for us

I’d start with Casper and Savs in the middle. Honeyman on the left attacking role. Wes and Coops at the back. Bart is a shoe in, slightly uncomfortable about that. I’d also stick Emak up front in a pairing with Tom or Rab. LB? maybe Murrey. BNC on the right. RB, Danny or Leonard, if fit.

Fuck knows, maybe a back three might be better with 5 in midfield considering the opposition? Thankfully not my call.

Edit, fuk me, I’ve forgotten the Dutch man, this manager lark isn’t easy 🤣

Teams who pass and move the ball like this lot do usually cause us all sorts of problems, not looking forward to this one but hope I am pleasantly surprised by 5pm tomorrow