Team v Preston

silverlion

Staff member
The first of five big cup finals for us and this one will not be easy. They are a decent outfit with nothing to play for and their home record is good with two wins in their past two games. Our record there is good and we have won there on our last two visits. We should be confident as we put four past a poor Barnsley side last time out so it should be a good contest. We have had a full week of training and have nearly everybody fit so our starting eleven should be almost as good as it gets and the bench should enable us to change the shape of the team late on if needed.

Bart will be keen to get another clean sheet and his performance could be key to us getting all three points. Danny can’t wait to get his boots on and see if he can find the net again. He could be our secret weapon! Hutch is now breathing down Ballard’s neck but is probably not completely match fit so will have to be content with a place on the bench. Ballard should start alongside Cooper with POTS elect Murray slotting in on the left.
Competition is hot in the middle but Billy is nailed on. The first big debate is whether to start with Dutch or Saville. GR will be looking to see who has trained well this week but a change could be on the cards. Dutch did nothing wrong but perhaps Saville has a bit more enterprise in his play. Molly should start wide left.

Up front we have some good choices. Burke looked full of running and scored last week so maybe he feels he has earned his place in the starting line up. He has much to prove. My mate has a friend who is a Blades fan and he says that pace is all that Burke has to offer. We shall see. It certainly is the last chance saloon for him if he is to earn a permanent move to SE16. I think the Blades would be keen to off load him but do we want him? A goal or two at Deepdale would help his cause. Benik is on fire and he is in a similar position to Burke with his loan spell with us soon to end. His goal tally gives him a big edge and a couple more on Saturday would get a least one of his feet in the door. Jed is full of running and he should start.

My thoughts are,

Bart
Danny Ballard Cooper Murray
Billy Saville Molly
Jed Benik Burke

Subs Long Hutch Leonard Dutch Ojo Bradshaw Burey

I just don't think Malone has been playing his best for a while, apart from the odd glimpse, but who could replace him?
the option would be to bring in Hutchison, and push Murray on a bit, he's not as quick granted, but wont be caught out of position so often or give the ball up cheaply. I think Malone is a starter until there is a realistic option?

Molly should start wide left.
He shouldn't start at all in my opinion, he was awful against Barnsley. We have two attacking wingers in Ojo and Burey plus Murray Wallace and need to win this game. No room for passengers at this stage of the season.

Hate to say it, and I hate any criticism of our players, but I will reluctantly admit that I think Malone has been a bit of a weak link lately. It's not through lack of effort, or committment, but it seems that he hasn't been able to show that little extra bit of flair.
I'm now away to slam a door on my fingers as an act of contrition.

At least there is now competition for Molly's spot ,he has been the weak link this season for sure but is always a threat , hard game this PNE are a decent side , heart says a draw but 3 pts are needed to keep us in the play off hunt ,we really need to take any chances that come our way .C.O.Y.L.

At least there is now competition for Molly's spot ,he has been the weak link this season for sure but is always a threat , hard game this PNE are a decent side , heart says a draw but 3 pts are needed to keep us in the play off hunt ,we really need to take any chances that come our way .C.O.Y.L.
Will you be at the Peterborough game Mark?

Molly has not been.at his best for too long.We
Preston are no great shakes up front, low scorers.
We lack goals and we lack pace in our play.
Burke must start.
Bradshaw must start.
Jed had a field day on the left against Barnsley, and might work well in front of Murray in midfield
Neither Ojo, not Tyler Burey are ball winning midfield.types, but both offer more than Molly offensively. I would prefer to start with Jed in midfield and Bradshaw up front AND the ball on the grass a bit more please. Simples

With players coming back we no longer have a team that picks itself but requires decisions to be made - some of which may be difficult. On the positive side it gives us both options off the bench and an opportunity to manage players across Friday - Monday - Saturday games.

Hutch is one of my favourite players - the header at Bristol Rovers with the bandage round his bonce that meant we stayed in 6th place and made the play offs lives long in the memory. His leadership qualities and organising skills makes him an obvious choice but I would keep the same back 3, give him some minutes and consider him for Monday against Hull.

Agree with the comments about Molly - he hasn't been at the races recently or, maybe, he has as his mind doesn't seem to be on football. If we stick with a back 3 and wing backs I wonder about trying Lennie out there - he has certainly done it on the right but Danny is nailed on there. If we go for 4 at the back, I would add Sav into midfield with Billy and Dutch - can push him up behind the front 2/3 or on the left.

Up front I would go for Benik, Tom and Burke.

Malone played a great pass to Jed for the 1st goal and I think it was his free kick that was nodded down for Afobe to score. Great cross for Danny’s goal so not a bad days work.

Start same team as Saturday and push up more, I thought we started to deep.and our bench is probably will be best we've had all year COYL 🦁

Molly has not been.at his best for too long.We
Preston are no great shakes up front, low scorers.
We lack goals and we lack pace in our play.
Burke must start.
Bradshaw must start.
Jed had a field day on the left against Barnsley, and might work well in front of Murray in midfield
Neither Ojo, not Tyler Burey are ball winning midfield.types, but both offer more than Molly offensively. I would prefer to start with Jed in midfield and Bradshaw up front AND the ball on the grass a bit more please. Simples
Agree about ball on grass, makes first touch so much easier