Team v Hull

silverlion

Staff member
A tough game against A decent side who are pressing to get into the play offs. This will not be easy and we will need to be on our A game if we are to get anything out of this. Surprisingly we have a better record over the last five games than they have. They have won two and lost three whereas we have won two, lost two and drawn one. Nevertheless they are decent but not invincible.
We certainly look as if we have started to turn the corner with an encouraging second half performance last Saturday against PNE. Barring one wayward pass we would have taken all three points so we can look forward to Saturday with some confidence. Joe has had a week to work with Tango and Oba so they should both be fired up and ready to go. A welcome return to the squad too for Hutch and Tom so they should make the bench.
There should be changes in the starting line up as we looked so much better with Sav and Casper in the middle. Sarkic had little chance with PNE’s goal so he should wear the gloves. I would be surprised if we did not start with a back five. BNC should start on the right with Tango, Wes and Cooper as the back three. I wonder if Joe did enough to keep his place on the left or does Murray get a start? It’s a tough call.
For me Sav and Casper are nailed on but then who starts wide left? Longman is crocked so the choice could be Watmore or Honeyman. Another tough call. Flem played better last week and scored so he should be nailed on but is the lone striker Rab or Oba. It really depends if the latter has looked good in training and has enough gas in the tank to give us 60 minutes of high energy football. Who knows?

My thoughts are,

Shark
BNC Tango Wes Cooper Murray
Sav Casper Honeyman
Flem
Oba

Subs Bart Danny Hutch Esse Billy Campbell ( if he is still a Lion?) Watmore Rab Tom

Shark (Should be Bart but won't happen)
Cuffy, Danny Mac (Tango not particularly convincing after his error, head totally dropped), Harding, Cooper, Wallace (Bryan just don't seem interested enough to me)
De Norre, Honeyman (More energy than Savs)
Esse (did ok 2nd half, Obafemi, Flemming

Same team as Silver, Murray to reclaim his LB spot Bryan can add some pace later likewise OB1 to start and Rab to come on after 60 min unless OB is looking likely to get his hat trick ( one can dream ) .it’s good to see Hutch and Bradders back on the bench which is looking good with plenty of options, add Lenny Longman and Emakhu and soon it will be hard to get a place on the bench never mind the starting eleven , it’s a squad game these days and we have a good group, enough to keep us up for certain, a good run and we could be back in the playoff race but to me this season is scrubbed, its all about JE learning this division and laying out his style and system .
I would take a draw right now but someone is going to get on the wrong end of a good hammering from us soon and I hope it’s this weekend.

Crocked or not, I thought Longman couldn’t play against his parent club?
Don’t care who plays as long as they give 100% (are you listening Bryan?)

Shark (Should be Bart but won't happen)
Cuffy, Danny Mac (Tango not particularly convincing after his error, head totally dropped), Harding, Cooper, Wallace (Bryan just don't seem interested enough to me)
De Norre, Honeyman (More energy than Savs)
Esse (did ok 2nd half, Obafemi, Flemming

Not convincing? Other than that stray pass, he barely put a foot wrong 🤷‍♂

The way we are trying to play this is going to happen until they get it right.

Crazy to even talk about dropping him after one game, especially that game.

Sarkic
Tanganga Hutch Cooper
BNC Casper Sav Murray
Obafemi Nisbet Flemming

If Hutch is even 75% fit then I'd pick him. I know he is getting on but we look so much better defensively when he plays. For similar reasons, I hope he picks Sav and Murray. Sav is a leader. Murray is a warrior. You'd want Hutch, Sav and Murray with you in the trenches and the Championship is like a battle. For all the talk of good football, the first thing you have to do in this league is compete. I'd take a point right now.

Sarkic
Danny Mac Harding Tangana Wallace
BNC Casper Sav Bryan
Fleming
Obafemi

Bryan is good going forward and can cross a ball, same for BNC, but not good defensively so just play them as a wingers not wingbacks and let Danny and Wallace do the defensive bits

Sarkic
Tanganga Hutch Cooper
BNC Casper Sav Murray
Obafemi Nisbet Flemming

If Hutch is even 75% fit then I'd pick him. I know he is getting on but we look so much better defensively when he plays. For similar reasons, I hope he picks Sav and Murray. Sav is a leader. Murray is a warrior. You'd want Hutch, Sav and Murray with you in the trenches and the Championship is like a battle. For all the talk of good football, the first thing you have to do in this league is compete. I'd take a point right now.
Like the team, but no room for Honeyman?

Shark
BNC Tango Wes Coops Bryan
Sav Casper
Flem Honeyman
Oba

Bart, Hutch, Danny Mac, Murray, Mitchell, Esse, Watmore, Rab, Bradders

A tough game against A decent side who are pressing to get into the play offs. This will not be easy and we will need to be on our A game if we are to get anything out of this. Surprisingly we have a better record over the last five games than they have. They have won two and lost three whereas we have won two, lost two and drawn one. Nevertheless they are decent but not invincible.
We certainly look as if we have started to turn the corner with an encouraging second half performance last Saturday against PNE. Barring one wayward pass we would have taken all three points so we can look forward to Saturday with some confidence. Joe has had a week to work with Tango and Oba so they should both be fired up and ready to go. A welcome return to the squad too for Hutch and Tom so they should make the bench.
There should be changes in the starting line up as we looked so much better with Sav and Casper in the middle. Sarkic had little chance with PNE’s goal so he should wear the gloves. I would be surprised if we did not start with a back five. BNC should start on the right with Tango, Wes and Cooper as the back three. I wonder if Joe did enough to keep his place on the left or does Murray get a start? It’s a tough call.
For me Sav and Casper are nailed on but then who starts wide left? Longman is crocked so the choice could be Watmore or Honeyman. Another tough call. Flem played better last week and scored so he should be nailed on but is the lone striker Rab or Oba. It really depends if the latter has looked good in training and has enough gas in the tank to give us 60 minutes of high energy football. Who knows?

My thoughts are,

Shark
BNC Tango Wes Cooper Murray
Sav Casper Honeyman
Flem
Oba

Subs Bart Danny Hutch Esse Billy Campbell ( if he is still a Lion?) Watmore Rab Tom
Yes, although I would go Bryan instead of Murray, good to see Bradshaw is fit then .

Sarkic
Tanganga, Hutch, Cooper , Dora
Casper, Saville, Honeyman
Flemming,
I'm Afobe , Esse

Last edited: