Team v Boro

silverlion

Staff member
Another tough game against a side that is not in the best of form having lost two out of their last five. They had a disaster at Bramall Lane on Tuesday and they will be looking to bounce back quickly. They will almost certainly make changes to freshen up their side which is a luxury we don’t have. After getting back late on Tuesday morning my guess is that many of our players were not sliding under the duvet until at least 3 am and before you know it your kids are crawling all over you at 6 wanting their breakfast! However, we do have momentum and a packed Den to roar us on so, although we might be running on empty we will be buoyed by our support. I can confidently predict changes as I think it is unlikely that Ballard will be fit to start.
One certain starter is Bart who made two great saves to keep us in it at Ewood Park and he will be busting a gut to see if he can get another clean sheet. Another certain starter is Danny who will be keen to get his boots on. He had a good game on Tuesday and when you are young you recover quickly so he will be raring to go. The first big question is who to play at the back alongside him. If Ballard is out then do you put Pearce in or play Muller. It’s a tough call but if you are going for experience then it could be a bridge too far for Muller. Cooper and Murray are nailed on and Molly is certain to start.

Billy and Saville are nailed on but do you start Evans? It really depends on who you play up front and whether you play two or three there. That really hinges on whether you take another chance on Burey or whether Bennett is fit to start. There is a thought on whether you start with Burey and tell him to run himself into the ground for 60 minutes and then bring on Bennett or do you do it the other way round. There is no doubt that Bennett is a bigger threat early on than Burey. Jed and Benik are nailed on.

My thoughts are,

Bart
Danny Murray Pearce Cooper
Billy Saville Molly
Jed Benik Bennett

Subs Long Muller Evans Mahoney Burey Evans Lovelace

It's a squad that picks itself, so I'm sure all the players you name will be in there somewhere.
Someone mentioned recently that your job of picking the team is not that difficult at the moment, and he was right. :grinning:

Can’t carry burey again. We’ve got away with it up to now. I like the way evans passes the ball to feet over all distances.hope Bennett has healed as he is one pain for defenders.

I think Burey has found that its not all roses, but long term a good player, and if on the bench, a very viable option, rather than just an untested kid coming on. My worry with what we have available is Pearce, not quick enough
so would go with a line up of

Bart
Danny Cooper Murray Malone
Evans
Saville Billy
Jed Afobe Bennett

I thought that was the case but in GR’s preview he says that it is not as serious as they first thought, Ballard has had this before and recovered quickly from it. He only felt it slightly at half time at Blackburn so they pulled him out of the game as a precaution. Read what you like into that! He is very good at playing mind games and the truth will be known at 2 pm when the team is announced on the club’s Twitter account.

Hoping Ballard is ok for a 3 at the back. If not then play Evans in front of a back 4. Rowett tried this against Blackburn for 10mins only so don’t think it will happen. Probably be Pearce in a 3.