Tango

I agree that GR was reponsible for the dour football that the players served up; they were, after all, playing to his instructions.
And he was playing the players to there strengths. It may have been dour but it was effective and got results. Rowett said in an interview that if he had six Jeds we'd play a different way but we didn't so he utilized what he had and what they were best at. I fail to see or agree with the argument that entertaining football trumps what Rowett and Harris serve up. I mean, how entertaining is it seeing us get beat week in week out?

Seems like it mate. Players that weren't looking great under Edwards's guidance now looking a lot more comfortable and assured. I'm so fucking relieved that lunatic has been binned off cause we was only heading one way with him at the helm.
PL: You think the players are a lot more comfortable? Maybe with the system but not on the ball :shake: Only a few games back we were controlling and passing to teammates, albeit not converting that into goals.

Yesterday most of the time it was like a Sunday Morning team hacking the ball forward with hope and nothing else 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I would still like to know what had gone on since New Years day after the win down at Bristol City. Because of all Edwards tactical faults, he eventually got them working as a team and they looked like they were enjoying playing football for Millwall with confidence. And of course, we went on a decent run, played reasonable football, were getting into forward positions with ease and making chances. Forget the Leicester cup game, but after that 'Boro game (where we played well) a totally different squad was turning up on match days.

Don't get me wrong, he had to go, and at the moment, it seems Harris is the right appointment for points and the stomach for a relegation fight, along with whipping up an atmosphere. But in my book, some of the players have to take some of the blame for a complete collapse after seemingly buying into Edwards way of playing football for a while. Certainly a real strange period in our recent history.

:shrug:

I would still like to know what had gone on since New Years day after the win down at Bristol City. Because of all Edwards tactical faults, he eventually got them working as a team and they looked like they were enjoying playing football for Millwall with confidence. And of course, we went on a decent run, played reasonable football, were getting into forward positions with ease and making chances. Forget the Leicester cup game, but after that 'Boro game (where we played well) a totally different squad was turning up on match days.

Don't get me wrong, he had to go, and at the moment, it seems Harris is the right appointment for points and the stomach for a relegation fight, along with whipping up an atmosphere. But in my book, some of the players have to take some of the blame for a complete collapse after seemingly buying into Edwards way of playing football for a while. Certainly a real strange period in our recent history.

Too many players making too many mistakes, especially defensively, was JE’s downfall.

Was that JE’s fault? Not convinced :shake:

PL: You think the players are a lot more comfortable? Maybe with the system but not on the ball :shake: Only a few games back we were controlling and passing to teammates, albeit not converting that into goals.

Yesterday most of the time it was like a Sunday Morning team hacking the ball forward with hope and nothing else 🤷‍♂️

Goals win games.

Too many players making too many mistakes, especially defensively, was JE’s downfall.

Was that JE’s fault? Not convinced :shake:

Tanganga is a good example. From looking an absolute liability under Edwards, he is now one of our best players in just two matches! He can't have improved that much himself, it's obviously the change in manager that has helped.

Leaving personalities aside, it's clear that the players weren't capable of executing the passing game that Edward wanted. Passing across the back four (or five) might look good, but it's a recipe for disaster when player are not technically or mentally good at it.

The results of the Edwards experiment are clear for all too see.

You think the players are a lot more comfortable?
More comfortable in what they're being asked to do as opposed being asked to do things they're not familiar with.

Yesterday most of the time it was like a Sunday Morning team hacking the ball forward with hope and nothing else
It worked and that's all that's important right now. We beast a good side last week too. Have said that i don't think Harris is the answer long term but for now he is and until we're safe.

It was strange the win at bristol city was impressive , and it looked as though we had turned the corner , but edwards had to go , though i think the players let him down to a certain extent seeming to fall epart at every setback , he was also a little unlucky with injuries and late goals , the penalty sunderland got which was nowhere near a penalty sort of summed up his time here it was too big a job too soon, it wouldnt surprise me to see him do well at some point

My tuppenceworth: At times we looked good going forward under Edwards but we were terribly vulnerable defensively.

BNC and Bryan played so far up the pitch - and showed so little inclination to get back goal side of their men/ball when we lost possession - it appeared that they had been told not to bother defending.

We were effectively playing 3 at the back. The result was that the opposition cut through us like a knife through butter and mistakes were often punished by a goal. The effect on the players was clear to see: Cooper looked scared of his own shadow. Wallace's confidence was shot to pieces. Harding and Tango were an error waiting to happen. Throw into the mix, Sarkic being told that he had to play like Allison at Liverpool - when it was so clearly obvious from the outset that he didn't have the ability to do so - then it was a receipe for disaster.

Yes the players are ultimately responsible for their mistakes, but it was Edwards who created the structure and environment where those mistakes were likely to flourish.

guess we have found out we are not the blue Brazil
if anyone thinks that GR or NH are getting it wrong with the way we play this need to get their head look at
the net worth of the team is about £3.50 until we are spending real money in the current market forget it

I got the impression that Bristol was the start of Edwards trying to implement the next phase of his progression, I'm sure that was the first game where Sarkic and 2 defenders started goal kicks with all 3 in the box, having won the previous 2 games well he might of thought he could move on without any relegation worries, it seemed to be from then onwards that we were passing it more between defenders and when mistakes set in.

Only a few games back we were controlling and passing to teammates, albeit not converting that into goals.
And losing. JE was taking us down, we would be 5 points in the deep this morning had he stayed. And L1 sides would have battered us senseless playing that 'style' of football.

Saturday wasn't pretty, but when did we do or want to be pretty?

Crazy that there are still some that want to make excuses for Edwards. He had no more bad luck with injuries or shit refs than GR or NH had to cope with. It was a terrible decision to award him the job and in years to come we will look back and wonder what on earth we were doing in appointing him in the first place. Thank fuck the board acted when they did is all I can say.

It was strange the win at bristol city was impressive , and it looked as though we had turned the corner , but edwards had to go , though i think the players let him down to a certain extent seeming to fall epart at every setback , he was also a little unlucky with injuries and late goals , the penalty sunderland got which was nowhere near a penalty sort of summed up his time here it was too big a job too soon, it wouldnt surprise me to see him do well at some point
Perhaps he’ll return at some point like Super Neil. 😉

It looks to me like Adam Barret is being groomed to be the next manager, he has been the only constant in the coaching set up and worked closely with our previous 3 Managers knows the club and what is demanded of the players would also have seen what Edwards was trying to achieve so has experience of that side of the game as well as what it takes to grind out a result.

I disagree and the last two games tells it's own story. So what has changed? It's possible that the players had the belief and confidence sucked out of them because they were being sent out each game to do things that were getting them beat each week. They are only human after all.

Edwards was persisting with something that wasn't working and doing damage. The players play to instruction, good or bad. Players don't go out to intentionally lose. The fool that was supposed to be managing them let it happen, time and time again. It was like some sort of sick experiment with an added touch of stubbornness to boot.

Edwards had watched us numerous times before he took the job and was well aware of what they were and weren't capable of, comfortable with or fit enough to maintain for 90 minutes. To continue to try and implement the changes that he wanted to take place was fucking stupid, naive and borderline madness given our position in the table. I'd chose pragmatism over arrogance each and every time when my club's status is in peril.
at the end of the day it's the players who make a silly pass ,miss a goal chance ,give the ball away not the manager , they did not want or could not play the way JE wanted and rightly so he was binned , if we survive this season what happens next ....we cannot play all next season like we are now

And the oppo were controlling and passing the ball into our net with ease.

It looks to me like Adam Barret is being groomed to be the next manager, he has been the only constant in the coaching set up and worked closely with our previous 3 Managers knows the club and what is demanded of the players would also have seen what Edwards was trying to achieve so has experience of that side of the game as well as what it takes to grind out a result.
Perhaps the club has learnt that good coaches should stick to coaching.

Members online