Style of Play

'ArryBoy

We are not playing any clear pattern, ending in aimless long balls. We only beat Stoke from 2 corners and beat 10man Coventry. And lucky to draw at Swansea. Reading won without being seriously challenged.
GR needs to serious rethink the back 5 option - it’s certainty not helping defensively! It also needs ball playing central defenders. Surely a back 4 in say a 433 would help us make more chances?
Time will tell. COYL

Whatever shape we play there are too many not playing to their potential, I was not surprised that Billy Mitchell was omitted from yesterday's starting, and whoever thought that Murray Wallace would go off the boil after last season's POTY.
Danny had a great return after his sulk but has been lost in the last couple of games, none of the new recruits has impressed so Alex Aldridge is back and it looks like nothing has changed.
With the exception of Stoke, the visitors could have easily rattled up 4 good chances in each game since the opening match.
I most certainly believe we overachieved last season and was relieved that we had not laid ourselves open to results such as Bournemouth's caning yesterday and the Bobby Bachach suite seems to be the only reliable aspect of our set-up in keeping players on light duties.

We’ve been playing the same formation and tactics for at least two years, and even the most basic of opposition scouts would have sussed us now.

Even though we have achieved a good league position, for most of the time our tactics and performances are exhausting and boring to watch. Any player with an ounce of creativity in our squad must start to get pissed off.

Thought we missed Billy yesterday, and we are still of the pace of the opposition in every game I’ve seen.

We’ve been playing the same formation and tactics for at least two years, and even the most basic of opposition scouts would have sussed us now.

Even though we have achieved a good league position, for most of the time our tactics and performances are exhausting and boring to watch. Any player with an ounce of creativity in our squad must start to get pissed off.
Great analysis

All our coaches ? are ex defenders so that as an influence on our style or so called formation & tactics......we only look.like scoring from set pieces at the moment and the only fit player willing to take on the oppo is burey and he was only on the bench....while he insists on putting marlone & afobe in the starting line up we are going nowhere ...I think afumble had 1 effort yesterday ( first in over 7 games) and got in the way for the dis allowed goal,Tuesday game will be a great test but the right team has to start or we will get stuffed , give Burnley space and that's it , press them and you have a chance let's see what happens

Thought we missed Billy yesterday, and we are still of the pace of the opposition in every game I’ve seen.
Don’t think Billy would have made any difference 🤷‍♂️

Theoretically Billy was replaced by Saville who was, arguably, the only outfield player to not to turn in a below-average performance 👏

I’ve posted elsewhere, there are several problems especially in the middle of the park. Not sure you can play both Shacks and Honeyman in midfield. Physically too lightweight and easily muscled off the ball. Honeyman is also very slow tracking back.

Voglsammer looks a find and the type of player to get the rest of the team going.

Flemming needs to be integrated into the team.

Not sure if V and F are fully fit but must start.

Defending has never been Danny’s strength and he was badly exposed yesterday.

Hutch good defending but in possession poor. I believe when we are in possession opponents get tight to our few players who are comfortable on the ball and allow Hutch, Cooper and Murray all the time in the World on the ball because they’re never going to create a threat.

Unfortunately the man we need was on the touch line yesterday, assisting Paul Ince 🤷‍♂️

Not overly optimistic and fearful of a poor season. If Rowett doesn’t come up with some answers, I can see him being unemployed around Xmas time.

All our coaches ? are ex defenders so that as an influence on our style or so called formation & tactics......we only look.like scoring from set pieces at the moment and the only fit player willing to take on the oppo is burey and he was only on the bench....while he insists on putting marlone & afobe in the starting line up we are going nowhere ...I think afumble had 1 effort yesterday ( first in over 7 games) and got in the way for the dis allowed goal,Tuesday game will be a great test but the right team has to start or we will get stuffed , give Burnley space and that's it , press them and you have a chance let's see what happens
Afobe also wasted our best chance when, instead of laying the ball off to the unmarked overlapping Burey, chose to go it alone and failed miserably 🤬

The number of times Wallace had the ball going forward he chose not to pass to Malone, two reasons, he doesn't trust Malone or if he passes to him, the ball is only going to be knocked back to him as Malone has his back to goal. Even basic football knowledge is that you stand side on to enable a run down the wing.

The number of times Wallace had the ball going forward he chose not to pass to Malone, two reasons, he doesn't trust Malone or if he passes to him, the ball is only going to be knocked back to him as Malone has his back to goal. Even basic football knowledge is that you stand side on to enable a run down the wing.
Both Danny and Malone are told to go to tight to the touchline when we get the ball which makes it easy for the opposition to close them down. Second half with Burey ahead of him we started to operate a bit better down the left with both Murray and Burey getting more involved together. We clearly need to sacrifice a centre back and put another man in midfield so we can press higher up and attack more quickly.

At the end of the day, if you don't try to score goals, you deserve to lose. He has the weapons to have a go, someone said yesterday we have had 15 shots on target in 6 games, don't know if that's true but can't be far off and is fucking disgraceful. Rotherham put 4 past Reading, we didn't lay a glove on them and not like it's a one off. He has to give our creative players a chance

I just find it hard to fathom how GR cannot see what supporters all over the ground can see: how poor the midfield is, in relation to making through balls for the forwards to latch onto! That, and having no width with no out and out wingers popping good crosses into the box to un-nerve defenders.

I was really pleased and hopeful when JB gave GR money to strengthen the team, believing that we would now have a squad of players who could push on that little bit more, and this season actually get to the play offs! However, the manager’s refusal to not use these new players to change the formation he’s been wedded to for ages, has seen no improvement in our attack, and the same mistakes are happening this season, as they were last season!

GR has to use the squad to rotate players if they’re under performing. He cannot keep playing Afobe, just hoping that in the next game the player will finally get off the mark, just so he can validate his inclusion in the 1st 11. GR is doing exactly the same with Malone. He’s been poor this season, yet GR persists in playing him! Burey can blow hot and cold, but in the games he’s featured in this season, he has at least once or twice been prepared to run at defenders and take them on, so why isn’t he starting more?

Until GR stops playing 5 at the back, and removes the shackles that are holding back our creative players, I can’t see how things are going to change! Opposing teams are already working out how to nullify us, and if our players continue to play (quite literally) into their hands, then by Christmas we could be mid table and a dozen or so points off the play offs! That’s not going to please JB, who no doubt wants to see an improvement in play and table position after the money he has spent out, and if GR can’t give that to him, will he start thinking of another manager who will give him what he wants?

They are not doing much for our woeful defending either.

We have changed personnel but not formation and tactics. Until we change our approach it's a case of fitting square pegs in round holes. I like the 4-2-3-1 we finished with against Reading. Maybe give this a go.

Bart
McNamara Hutch Cooper Wallace
Shackleton Mitchell
Honeyman Flemming Burey
Voglsammer
Malone is out of form so I would put Murray left back. You would think the 5 at the back would shore up the defence but you end up with 5 marking 2 which gives the opposition loads of space in front of the back five.

Rowett's negative approach and set up is killing us and the reason why we keep going behind.

Rowett in but if he doesn't find an alternative then that may change

What happened to you don't fix anything unless it's broken ,Bart, Danny, hutch Cooper, Wallace, was our strength last year ,look how good defensively we were,should have looked at the forward line burey looks promising but how long can we keep him if we don't attack more .jed is a massive miss for both his effort and creativity we need to address the supply and give the vlod a chance (simple isn't it).also how can we find out if Fleming is any good if he's not given a chance he's not going to get match fit sitting on the bench most of the game.(rant over ) I like rowett but were never going to get attacking football from him his idea seems to be get enough points to be safe first, look at last year we didn't overcheive he was to negative early season, with his stay up attitude.

Whatever shape we play there are too many not playing to their potential,
Spot on. No need to look any further than this.

I think that we have used 17 players this season? Who's played consistently well? Bart, Leonard (now injured again) and, perhaps, Saville and Bradshaw. Hutch, Burey and Honeyman have been ok in patches. Vogl and Flemming, jury's out. The remaining 8 players' performances have generally ranged from poor to embarrassingly inadequate.

You can play any formation you want, but if half the squad aren't performing, we are going to lose.

Why it's happening and how does he change it are Rowett's $64,000 questions.

No point in wingers as Afobe & Bradshaw cannot get on the high ball in anyway. Those 2 should run the channels and leave Vlog to lead the attack.

We have changed personnel but not formation and tactics. Until we change our approach it's a case of fitting square pegs in round holes. I like the 4-2-3-1 we finished with against Reading. Maybe give this a go.

Bart
McNamara Hutch Cooper Wallace
Shackleton Mitchell
Honeyman Flemming Burey
Voglsammer
Malone is out of form so I would put Murray left back. You would think the 5 at the back would shore up the defence but you end up with 5 marking 2 which gives the opposition loads of space in front of the back five.

Rowett's negative approach and set up is killing us and the reason why we keep going behind.

Rowett in but if he doesn't find an alternative then that may change
Looking good