Stan Bowles

A highly skilled football maverick and another Football showman who never got the credit that he deserved. RIP Stan , very fitting that there’s a stand named after you at Loftus Road .

That was because of bad management. Ramsey was finished and that scumbag Revie hated southerners. We had better players than any other country in the world.

Brazil 1970: Pele, Tostao, Jair, Gerson ....

Holland 1974: Cruyff, Neeskens, Resenbrink, Krol... (I know that they didn't win it)

Argentina 1978: Ardilles, Kempes, Luque, Passarilla .....

England had some very good players and good teams/ squads in the '70s but imo no way were we better than Brazil or The Netherlands. Argentina a bit more debatable.

Brazil 1970: Pele, Tostao, Jair, Gerson ....

Holland 1974: Cruyff, Neeskens, Resenbrink, Krol... (I know that they didn't win it)

Argentina 1978: Ardilles, Kempes, Luque, Passarilla .....

England had some very good players and good teams/ squads in the '70s but imo no way were we better than Brazil or The Netherlands. Argentina a bit more debatable.
The better teams do not always win football games, the better managers do, as last Saturday proved.

The better teams do not always win football games, the better managers do, as last Saturday proved.

Zagallo, Michels and Menotti were the respective managers of Brazil, The Netherlands and Argentina at the relevant times, so I don't think think that those teams were lacking on that front either.

I used to own a few dogs with my old man and had one running at the old White City ,bumped into Stan and Alan Devonshire who also owned a few greyhounds,
Fancied my dog and told them to have a "small" interest,but i don't think Stan understood "small" bets.
Dog won and one of Devonshires also won,had a chat about football and a pint,
Lovely blokes even though Devonshire was playing for West Ham!
Also heard quite an amusing story about Stan the other day,
Tommy Docherty who apparently had no time for "flair"players took over as manager and said to Stan "you can trust me Stan",Bowles replied,
"I'd sooner trust Colonel Sanders with my chickens"