Southend v Chesterfield

Lioninwinter

Went to see this game yesterday with a couple of friends, what a story state Southend are in. Run by a property developer Ron ‘the con‘ Martin, the future looks grim. Two pitch invasions wanting the Chairman out, players arguing with the crowd. Being there as a Millwall supporter, I will probably get the blame.
No money, ground owned by the Chairman who leases it back, their proposed new ground, 20 years and nothing built, owned by his son. Relegated from the football league and now down towards the bottom of the conference. Add on a few years it will all be housing and Southend fc will disappear. They lost 0-4 and it could have been 6 or 7, the football on offer was dire. Chairman has listened to the fans, he wasn’t there, and sacked the manager, now 7 managers since 2018.

It makes you appreciate how Millwall are run and the stability at the club. There for the grace of god.

Very sad. We've had some great days/evenings out at Roots Hall over the years. The 1-0 loss in the FA Cup springs to mind when someone jumped out of the crowd and chinned a copper. It doesn't seem that long ago that Southend were in the upper reaches of the 'Championship' as it now is, and dreaming of promotion.

Unfortunately, they've had a long history of dodgy chairman, and this is coming home to roost. They've been planning a move to Fosset's Farm for about 20 years now, but nothing has ever materialized.

It's not exactly prime real estate, but with good rail links to London, good schools, parks and a seaside, Roots Hall is obviously worth more turned into flats than as a football ground.

I see that our favourite ex Southend forward….Stan Collymore….has offered to help them for free. Or is it time for our favourite ex manager……Neil Harris…..to get involved? To my knowledge he doesn’t have a job at the moment so maybe he might fancy a challenge?

Charlton v Southend Sunday Morning League kick off 11 am Sunday 17th October at Blackheath please come along and bring wife and kids. 10p in the bucket would be appreciated.

Southend council don't want a football team & with a owner more interested in real estate then a club it's not suprising......one of the shittest grounds in the Leagues to visit ...I'm sorry them.or their fans will not be missed

Just to think 5 or 6 years ago "SRfend" v. "Spireites" would have been an Football League fixture. Tragedy , especially looked forward to that away fixture as.could.stuff my face with Jellied Eels and Whelks from that shop.undrr the Pier Railway. Happy days.
Usually got off at leigh on sea (quite a fewl did the same) and drank in the few pubs on the estuary, one with a big outside area, the peterboat I think? But more importantly 2 seafood stalls outside(y)

Last edited:
Can recall the Friday night game at roots hall in 1976 (0-0) with hundreds of wall going on the rampage through the town centre after the game, a jewellers got done as did loads of other shops, then the bank holiday Monday game in 1980, wall v skinheads ( predominately West Ham) on the hill/seafront before the game, it made quadrophenia look like bedknobs and broomsticks ..

Charlton v Southend Sunday Morning League kick off 11 am Sunday 17th October at Blackheath please come along and bring wife and kids. 10p in the bucket would be appreciated.
Yes you may laugh., yet could always happen to anyone , including wall

I recall my last visit to Roots Hall we won 4-0 or 4-1, absolutely buzzing that day.

Also, did an FA youth game at Roots Hall, the lady club secretary was an absolute MILF, should have kept her number!!!

Never nice to see clubs being run so poorly, and in danger of going completely. Does make you appreciate the decent owner we have that little bit more!

Lived in Leigh on Sea for a bit and always hoped we got to play them.Remember a game down there when we realised McCarthy more or less got the Ireland job and the whole away end chanting “McCarthy for Ireland” and a black steward got “Are you OJ in disguise “.
A bit of dump of a ground but always a good day out.

shame for them,defo running the club into the ground by the sound of it, and didnt the same trick used likewise at brighton many years ago?

i dont know what impac t the fa can have on it and should challage the owner whos sounds a right c...t

In a similar vein look at Scunthorpe United. It's not that long since we played them in the play off semis and now look at them. Had that game gone the other way i wonder where we would have been now?