Silver Lining

‘ArryBoy

Losing to Huddersfield may be a painful silver lining. It will have highlighted to GR and the rest of coaching team that we are perhaps not as good as our results and position suggests. Hopefully he will stop playing
Volkslammer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Losing to Huddersfield may be a painful silver lining. It will have highlighted to GR and the rest of coaching team that we are perhaps not as good as our results and position suggests. Hopefully he will stop playing
Volkslammer.
Let’s hope seeing this loss in person has highlighted to JB that we need a couple of more players in the summer (if we don’t go up that is), to mount a better all out attack on the Championship next season, and actually win the league outright!

and actually win the league outright!

Is that a joke?! Surely, surely, you cannot believe that is ever possible? Wage structure & transfer budget alone, general spare money in the club also, will tell you that wouldn't be possible.

If you look at the previous 10 years top 3 teams, there is only Brighton who had given broke into the Premiership previously. This tells you all you need to know about outright winners etc. Anywhere in the playoffs for Millwall is a fucking brilliant achievement. Parachute payments and previous Premier league tv revenue fucks it for other clubs to try and break into top 3 of the league. Last 10 years of top 3 history in the championship tells you everything you need to know. If we mix it up just outside that then believe me we've done brilliantly.

Truth is we've not seen Vlog play in his favoured position- cental. He's been out wide most of the time. He does have a very useful cross on him but ideally he should be on the end of those and not the one providing.

Not saying he'd get a shed load of goals, his tally at other clubs hasn't been great and that's been at a lower level than the English championship. His best return in the top league in Germany was 6 from 40 odd games. He's only on a one year deal, has chipped in with assists and vital goals. two of those were winning ones to take three points.

Is that a joke?! Surely, surely, you cannot believe that is ever possible? Wage structure & transfer budget alone, general spare money in the club also, will tell you that wouldn't be possible.

If you look at the previous 10 years top 3 teams, there is only Brighton who had given broke into the Premiership previously. This tells you all you need to know about outright winners etc. Anywhere in the playoffs for Millwall is a fucking brilliant achievement. Parachute payments and previous Premier league tv revenue fucks it for other clubs to try and break into top 3 of the league. Last 10 years of top 3 history in the championship tells you everything you need to know. If we mix it up just outside that then believe me we've done brilliantly.
Why is it a joke?

Sheffield United, an ex Premier League club with ex Premier League players, are sitting 2nd in the league, yet they’re only 10 points (effectively 3 wins) above us, so in that respect, wage structure and transfer budget don’t come into it!

Who would have thought, that only a few seasons ago, JB would first bankroll Harris the money he did - breaking Millwall’s transfer record, and then bankroll GR more money again to break our transfer record for a 2nd time with the signing of a top Dutch player!

JB has, I think, sensed a change in his club’s fortunes this season, and I’m sure he knows that is mostly down to him giving GR the money to buy Flemming, which (along with Bradshaw finding his shooting boots this season), has paid off in getting the team into the play offs! Not just flirting with the play offs, but staying in it for longer periods than before!

I think the success of this season (even if we don’t go up this year), has shown JB that, with the right money invested in the right players this summer, there’s no reason not to believe we can do even better next season! Doing better has to mean going for one of the top two automatic positions, and if the players believe they can do that, then sure, why not aim for the top spot?

Why is it a joke?

Sheffield United, an ex Premier League club with ex Premier League players, are sitting 2nd in the league, yet they’re only 10 points (effectively 3 wins) above us, so in that respect, wage structure and transfer budget don’t come into it!

Who would have thought, that only a few seasons ago, JB would first bankroll Harris the money he did - breaking Millwall’s transfer record, and then bankroll GR more money again to break our transfer record for a 2nd time with the signing of a top Dutch player!

JB has, I think, sensed a change in his club’s fortunes this season, and I’m sure he knows that is mostly down to him giving GR the money to buy Flemming, which (along with Bradshaw finding his shooting boots this season), has paid off in getting the team into the play offs! Not just flirting with the play offs, but staying in it for longer periods than before!

I think the success of this season (even if we don’t go up this year), has shown JB that, with the right money invested in the right players this summer, there’s no reason not to believe we can do even better next season! Doing better has to mean going for one of the top two automatic positions, and if the players believe they can do that, then sure, why not aim for the top spot?
Hitting:arrghh:
Wow.
I've nothing left to say here.

Somewhere online there's a table for moiney spent to where you should be in the table. The obvious ones- Norwich, West brom are top for spending and positions in the league. We are in the bottom five for money spent but high up the table for points gained.

This link below shows you what we actually spend,it ain't much. One of the main reasons i don't moan when we're losing or on a bad spell. I think it's a fantastic achivement by the club just to stay in this division. We're up against allsorts of hurdles, from our rep all the way down to player recruitment and loads in between.

First time in a long time that it's clear to me that ther board have looked around other successful smallish clubs and and trying to replicate some of what got them to the premier.

Brighton and Brentford are the examples. Buy low from South america/ Europe and sell high. Flemming is a prime example of this, he'll go for decent profit, we just have to keep finding these unearthed gems, it can be done.

Berylson knows what he's doing, at some point it will reap rewards. There's no future in paying huge transfer fee's. we can't anyway. The way we are going is the only we'll achieve something. We just have to be patient and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Somewhere online there's a table for moiney spent to where you should be in the table. The obvious ones- Norwich, West brom are top for spending and positions in the league. We are in the bottom five for money spent but high up the table for points gained.

This link below shows you what we actually spend,it ain't much. One of the main reasons i don't moan when we're losing or on a bad spell. I think it's a fantastic achivement by the club just to stay in this division. We're up against allsorts of hurdle, from our rep all the way down to player recruitment and loads in between.

First time in a long time that it's clear to me that ther board have looked around other successful smallish clubs and and trying to replicate some of what got them to the premier.

Brighton and Brentford are the examples. Buy low from South america/ Europe and sell high. Flemming is a prime example of this, he'll go for decent profit, we just have to keep finding these unearthed gems, it can be done.

Berylson knows what he's doing, at some point it will reap rewards. There's no future in paying huge transfer fee's. we can't anyway. The way we are going is the only we'll achieve something. We just have to be patient and enjoy the ride.

This!

OK, perhaps I was mad to think we could get top spot next season, but like you said Peckham, the club is going in the right direction and, as you say, if we can follow the Brentford model, and use profit from it to keep buying better replacements for the ones we’ve sold, we will get there! Especially if, in the next few years, the parachute payments have stopped, that will make it a more level playing field for teams to compete against the relegated Prem sides!

All we have to do is make sure we’re still in the Championship when all this happens! :grinning:

Why is it a joke?

You just can't compare us to Sheffield united when it comes to finance's and budget. It's not what they can pay in fee's, it's what they pay in wages. It's double what we pay.

As for aiming for top spot/ second, i see that as the players would be setting themselves an unachievable/ unrealistic target. That will put a lot of uneeded pressure on themselves. Going one better season by season means improving on your previous standing, surely a top six finish is about as much as anyone one expected this season?

This!

OK, perhaps I was mad to think we could get top spot next season, but like you said Peckham, the club is going in the right direction and, as you say, if we can follow the Brentford model, and use profit from it to keep buying better replacements for the ones we’ve sold, we will get there! Especially if, in the next few years, the parachute payments have stopped, that will make it a more level playing field for teams to compete against the relegated Prem sides!

All we have to do is make sure we’re still in the Championship when all this happens! :grinning:
(y)

You just can't compare us to Sheffield united when it comes to finance's and budget. It's not what they can pay in fee's, it's what they pay in wages. It's double what we pay.

As for aiming for top spot/ second, i see that as the players would be setting themselves an unachievable/ unrealistic target. That will put a lot of uneeded pressure on themselves. Going one better season by season means improving on your previous standing, surely a top six finish is about as much as anyone one expected this season?
I’m not comparing us to United’s finances and budget, but on where we are in the table, and for a club our size, and with the players we have, I think being only 10 points behind an ex Prem club with ex Prem players, is a massive achievement!

If we’re still a Championship club next year, this seasons success has to give hope to GR and his players that targets can be achieved! We’ve been aiming to get into the play offs for a couple of seasons now, and with JB’s money buying talent like Flemming, we’ve at least spent a lot of time there this season (something we haven’t done before with GR!)

Now that we’re starting to attract the likes of the Zian Flemming‘s of this world - players who probably aren’t on a very good wage at their club, but can probably earn double that playing for us - our club is an attractive prospect for players to sign with! Plus, its a good way for them to get themselves noticed by the bigger sides in the Championship (or any club in the Prem), so for them, signing for us is a win-win situation, whichever way you look at it!

I quite like Vlog although frustrating at times, I think he is quite an intelligent player. He has been played out of position all season, not in the starting line up on occasions, but still has a great attitude, which I think is true of this whole squad and why we are in the league position we are. There are no bertie big bollox anymore and it shows. Last time we got out of this league we didnt have the best 11 players but we had this similar sort of togetherness and although I still think we will just fall short its great so see even if the football is a hard watch at times

I quite like Vlog although frustrating at times, I think he is quite an intelligent player. He has been played out of position all season, not in the starting line up on occasions, but still has a great attitude, which I think is true of this whole squad and why we are in the league position we are. There are no bertie big bollox anymore and it shows. Last time we got out of this league we didnt have the best 11 players but we had this similar sort of togetherness and although I still think we will just fall short its great so see even if the football is a hard watch at times
This. 100%.