Set-Plays

PurleyLion

Staff member
For ages we've been crying out for some set-up variation and has it started to happen? :unsure:

In recent games, there's been a couple of short-corners and with Flemming's goal on Saturday it looked like Wes, Cooper and co pushed forward towards the 6 yard box creating space for Honeyman to find Zian to volley home :clap:

Also, a similar tactic for our first, this time Flemming won the header that Watmore poked home.

I've been advocating for sometime to use Cooper, Wes, Hutch and Murray as decoys at set-plays. Is this happening? :unsure:

BTW: Did anyone see the Arsenal free-kick yesterday where they loaded the far right with players then played a simple pass into the vacant space to the left of the box. Nearly/should have lead to a goal :clap:

For ages we've been crying out for some set-up variation and has it started to happen? :unsure:

In recent games, there's been a couple of short-corners and with Flemming's goal on Saturday it looked like Wes, Cooper and co pushed forward towards the 6 yard box creating space for Honeyman to find Zian to volley home :clap:

Also, a similar tactic for our first, this time Flemming won the header that Watmore poked home.

I've been advocating for sometime to use Cooper, Wes, Hutch and Murray as decoys at set-plays. Is this happening? :unsure:

BTW: Did anyone see the Arsenal free-kick yesterday where they loaded the far right with players then played a simple pass into the vacant space to the left of the box. Nearly/should have lead to a goal :clap:
Re Arsenal did you see their clever throw ins to the touchline then Odegard played into the box for a shot 👍

Re Arsenal did you see their clever throw ins to the touchline then Odegard played into the box for a shot 👍
Yes, I don't normally watch games between Premiership clubs but thought I'd give the Arsenal/Liverpool game a try yesterday.

What struck me was despite these guys have a level of skills way above the Championship they had clearly worked on the basics like free-kicks, corners and throws-in.

If players of their standard work on these basics then so should we.

We tried something similar second half against Bristol with Honeyman and Fleming, I think. Sadly they weren't in sync and the ball went out for a goal kick. But, as you say Purley, at least we're trying

Yes, I don't normally watch games between Premiership clubs but thought I'd give the Arsenal/Liverpool game a try yesterday.

What struck me was despite these guys have a level of skills way above the Championship they had clearly worked on the basics like free-kicks, corners and throws-in.

If players of their standard work on these basics then so should we.
Most of the top clubs have set piece/throw in coaches specifically for this reason. Liverpool were one of the first to employ one

I recommend Farley TV on YouTube doing an interview with Arteta after the game. It’s excellent, as usual.

30 yards out. Dont always go for a direct shot. You often seen an unmarked player loitering wide in the box. Push it to him and he can hit a ball across the face of the goal. And don't get me started on the long throw. Have some one available for a short one and cross. Then they have to cover a throw to the near post and a cross to the back post. Or at least it would take two players out of the crowded box.

Last edited:
Most of the top clubs have set piece/throw in coaches specifically for this reason. Liverpool were one of the first to employ one
I suppose they have to unload all their cash somewhere. Wanna teach players how to take throw ins, never seen so many foul throws in my life. I think sometimes refs are embarrassed to pull em up. Best coach they could do with is one who teaches them how to technically kick a ball, preferably under 8 feet high.

Throw ins. When ours we cant seem to do anything with them but when opposing teams have one they invariably manage to get a move started. I turn my nose up at "throw in coaches", but surely JE should be able to improve our play at throw ins and set plays.

Throw ins. When ours we cant seem to do anything with them but when opposing teams have one they invariably manage to get a move started. I turn my nose up at "throw in coaches", but surely JE should be able to improve our play at throw ins and set plays.
It's because
1. We take too bloody long.
2. We don't know how to throw the ball to
Feet. Invariably the ball hits chest/thigh, bounces upward. Basics which we find hard to Master. And give away possession.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen us take a throw-in quickly to catch oppo’s out or maintain momentum in attack.
No, because GR was always of the opinion that if we had the ball in our hands, the opposition could not score with it.
If we could delay say 30 seconds for each throw in and we had maybe 10 throws in a match, that was 5 minutes the opposition could not score.
Never mind the fact that we couldn't score either. We all know that was never his priority.

No, because GR was always of the opinion that if we had the ball in our hands, the opposition could not score with it.
If we could delay say 30 seconds for each throw in and we had maybe 10 throws in a match, that was 5 minutes the opposition could not score.
Never mind the fact that we couldn't score either. We all know that was never his priority.
A pie chart would describe it much better BP. 😉🤣

But they did in the remaining 85! 🤣

The biggest waste of time is the ref faffing about in stead of letting teams taking a quick free kick. They mark where the ball is, mark 10 yards. Go to the back of the box. Check their hair. Then blow the whistle.

If defenders are less than 10 yards and you decide to shoot or pass why should you have to wait for the keeper and defenders to set up a wall. Just hit the f**kin thing before the keeper is looking or setting up the wall.

Not 100% sure on law regarding taking a quick free kick. Think you can ask ref if you can take it quick. Don’t see why you should be penalised for taking one quick as the oppo has just been penalised for law breaking and should be entitled to punishment for doing so. Surprise is the best element of attack.

Members online