Seasons gone by- Wall in the 80's

Peckham Lion

Staff member
Was having a reminisce with a few fellow lions about the ups and downs and madness of following wall. They say it's never boring. Had a look back at the early 80's and was reminded of some crazy runs of form and results you rarley get today.

82/83 season. Losses of 4-0 three times, 5-1 and 4-3. Wins of 4-1 and 5-2. A run of seven games with six defeats and one win conceding 25 goals. The one win in that run saw us beat Exeter 5-2. The previous game we lost 5-1 at Huddersfield. The following four games after hammering Exeter were defeats of 3-1, 4-0, 2-1 and 4-3. Those results left us bottom of the table. Then and completely out of the blue we go on a run losing once in our final 12 games., winning nine, drawing three. We'd only won six times all season prior to that and had awinless run of 15 games. We avoided relegation finishing 17th.

83/84 season saw defeats of 5-0. 4-2, 5-1, 4-3, 5-2 and 5-3 v Orient who we beat 4-3 earlier in the season. Also defeats 3-2 four times and a couple of 3-3 draws.

84/85- Promotion season - Put four past 4 or 5 teams. Beat Bolton 5-2.

85/86 - season opener- lose 4-3 at Huddersfield. Lose 3-2 at Colchester in the cup then beat Norwich at home in the league 4-2. Lose 4-0 at home to Pompey then 5-1 away at Grimsby the folllowing week. Lose 6-1 at Norwich then beat Hull 5-0 at home the following game. Little or no logic to it.

The last season you mention there I think you'll find there was an issue with money and payments to players.
I believe there was a 'downing of tools' disguised as injury, which left a threadbare squad,culminating in the humiliation at Norwich. Miraculously, all the injuries cleared in the same week and then we beat Hull 5-0.
My source is someone close to the then chairman.

Was having a reminisce with a few fellow lions about the ups and downs and madness of following wall. They say it's never boring. Had a look back at the early 80's and was reminded of some crazy runs of form and results you rarley get today.

82/83 season. Losses of 4-0 three times, 5-1 and 4-3. Wins of 4-1 and 5-2. A run of seven games with six defeats and one win conceding 25 goals. The one win in that run saw us beat Exeter 5-2. The previous game we lost 5-1 at Huddersfield. The following four games after hammering Exeter were defeats of 3-1, 4-0, 2-1 and 4-3. Those results left us bottom of the table. Then and completely out of the blue we go on a run losing once in our final 12 games., winning nine, drawing three. We'd only won six times all season prior to that and had awinless run of 15 games. We avoided relegation finishing 17th.

83/84 season saw defeats of 5-0. 4-2, 5-1, 4-3, 5-2 and 5-3 v Orient who we beat 4-3 earlier in the season. Also defeats 3-2 four times and a couple of 3-3 draws.

85/86 - season opener- lose 4-3 at Huddersfield. Lose 3-2 at Colchester in the cup then beat Norwich at home in the league 4-2. Lose 4-0 at home to Pompey then 5-1 away at Grimsby the folllowing week. Lose 6-1 at Norwich then beat Hull 5-0 at home the following game. Little or no logic to it.
had a lot to do with players passing the ball forward rather than spending 75 mins of the game going backwards and sideways

I think it was 8 wins from 22

And to think PL, two seasons after that mad 85/86 season, we reached the 1st division.
It was mate. George Graham certainly turned us around.. other than our first season in division one the Graham period was my favourite time following us. Giant killings in the cup and promotion exactly ten year after my first season of going which eneded in relegation. We spent nearly all the season from september onwards in the relegation zone. Watching the likes of Sheringham, Briley, Stevens, Anton on the wing. Lovell, Carter,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks Dad :bow::bow:

Last edited:
What a fantasic player Teddy was. Like all great strikers he always seemed to know where the ball was going drop in the box and he'd be there to poke it home. I know he's not liked by some cause he played for them rats over the water but that was years later. He wasn't wall, had no allegiances and owed us nothing so don't really get the hatred and slagging he sometimes gets. He gave me and many others some of the finest and most memorable and unforgettable moments following Wall.

Total of 111 goals in 262 appearances, 18 of which were sub. He almost missed out on a career in football after having trials at spurs, orient and the nigels but never caught the eye. He got noticed by our scout Bob Pearson whilst playing against our youth for Leyton and Ilford. He eas offered a six game trial in which he impressed and was offered a two year apprenticeship. He struggled at first under George Graham who tried to offload him to Brentford for 5 grand but that never came off so he was loaned out to Aldershot and then some Swedish team where he was top scorer and won a league medal. He came back to wall a different player.

The rest is history.

Enjoy

One of my favourite Millwall games was when Bradford came to the Den in the promotion season. They were top of the table and battering everyone. We annihilated them 4-0. Fash was unplayable and the Den was at its very best. I can't remember the attendance but it felt big.

Another was the last home game against Plymouth. I think we'd already been promoted or had to win to be promoted and we won. At the end of the game the players did a lap of honour and threw scarves into the crowd. One came near me and I went for it but this enormous bloke who stood near us caught it and started laughing. He took a look at me and ruffled my hair and gave me the scarf.

What a fantasic player Teddy was. Like all great strikers he always seemed to know where the ball was going drop in the box and he'd be there to poke it home. I know he's not liked by some cause he played for them rats over the water but that was years later. He wasn't wall, had no allegiances and owed us nothing so don't really get the hatred and slagging he sometimes gets. He gave me and many others some of the finest and most memorable and unforgettable moments following Wall.

Total of 111 goals in 262 appearances, 18 of which were sub. He almost missed out on a career in football after having trials at spurs, orient and the nigels but never caught the eye. He got noticed by our scout Bob Pearson whilst playing against our youth for Leyton and Ilford. He eas offered a six game trial in which he impressed and was offered a two year apprenticeship. He struggled at first under George Graham who tried to offload him to Brentford for 5 grand but that never came off so he was loaned out to Aldershot and then some Swedish team where he was top scorer and won a league medal. He came back to wall a different player.

The rest is history.

Enjoy

Best player I have ever seen in a Millwall shirt. I went to every single game home and away in that 1991 season with my old man and saw every goal Teddy scored live. I don't say this lightly, but a MIllwall legend.

One of my favourite Millwall games was when Bradford came to the Den in the promotion season. They were top of the table and battering everyone. We annihilated them 4-0. Fash was unplayable and the Den was at its very best. I can't remember the attendance but it felt big.
Just over nine thousand which was a big gate consider we were getting five thousand most weeks other than cup games. The home game prior to Bradford was Leicester in the cup- the 2-0 which drew just over 16,000. Luton away was the next round for us,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Just over nine thousand which was a big gate consider we were getting five thousand most weeks other than cup games. The home game prior to Bradford was Leicester in the cup- the 2-0 which drew just over 16,000. Luton away was the next round for us,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

That was big for that season. When we got 6 or 7,000 I used to think that was a really good gate. That Leicester game is forgotten I think. Lineker and Smith played that night. There seemed to be a lot more than 16,000. Didn't Alan McLeary score for us?

Didn't Alan McLeary score for us?
Yes and Fashanu. Good cup run that. Winning away at Chelsea and the Nigels in the previous rounds was blinding to witness. The Palace game was a reply that was cancelled a few time cause of snow. Lovell who came on a free to us from the Nigels scored the winner for us that night. He scored the winner against them again the folllowing season at the Den when we beat them 3-2 in the league in front of just over 5 thousand fans. Leeds drew our best attendance in the league games at the Den that season. Just over 9k. We dropped back down to under 4k the next two homes which continued for most of the season.

Best player I have ever seen in a Millwall shirt. I went to every single game home and away in that 1991 season with my old man and saw every goal Teddy scored live. I don't say this lightly, but a MIllwall legend.
Completely agree. His post-Millwall career proved what a high quality player he was.

Maybe he blotted his copybook by playing for West Ham but his contribution on the field for us was immense. Also decided to stay loyal when we were relegated when he could easily have left.