Rowett wanting out?

champs08

Some, if not many will be pleased to hear that the boss has apparently applied for “other managerial roles” over the past few months.
It’s a rumour that’s gathering pace, so is this the beginning of the end for Drawett?

Some, if not many will be pleased to hear that the boss has apparently applied for “other managerial roles” over the past few months.
It’s a rumour that’s gathering pace, so is this the beginning of the end for Drawett?
Great gossip if it’s true Champs, are we talking about Man Utd or Everton, West Brom or Nottingham Forest or was it just Gillingham?

Perhaps JB/Kavanagh/the Board, should ask themselves why Rowett wants to leave? Could it be that, since becoming our manager, Rowett has only spent about £1.6M on three actual players, and all three of these were undisclosed fees? Bart (thought to be £350,000), Evans (thought to be £750,000), and Bennett (thought to be £500,000)! Saville’s fee has also remained undisclosed, so £1.6M is the official figure Rowett has spent!

The remainder of Rowett’s signings were those initially brought to the club on season long loans, which eventually turned into free transfers! Did Rowett actually want any of those loan players, or were they thrust upon him because the club could only afford to pay part of the loanees salaries, and not spend the likes of £2M (plus player salary), to snatch players like Kiefer Moore off Cardiff, and bring him to the Den?

Was Rowett pissed off that Derby turned down our offer of £450,000 for Louis Sibley, yet accepted Wigan‘s £30,000 offer for Graeme Shinnie? I think he probably was! Did we not sign the two Dutch players, Flemming and Ramselaar, simply because we couldn’t meet their respective clubs asking price? Definitely, I would say!

I admit I want Rowett out because of his dull, defensive football, but I can also understand that things might have been different for him (and for us, the supporters), if he had been given a decent transfer kitty at the end of his first season, when we finished 8th in the league and two points off the 6th placed play off spot! Had JB/Kavanagh/the board backed him then, he may have been able to buy in the right players to improve his squad and have them really challenging for the play offs the following season!

Alas, it was not meant to be, and subsequent transfer windows have come and gone, but the penny pinching and lack of vision/forward thinking has continued, to the point where Rowett has finally realised that he has taken us as far as he can, on the meagre yearly transfer budget given to him by the club! I’ve no doubt that him applying for “other managerial roles,” will be for clubs that can afford to give their managers decent transfer budgets that keep within the Financial Fair Play rules, but which also gives them the chance to create a team that can be successful and challenging for honours and promotion!

Surely no one believes that Rowett has been applying for other jobs. Take Sunderland for instance, if he had gone for it he would have got it or at least been one of the front runners. As an experienced championship manager making a decent fist of a difficult job at the moment a club like Sunderland would surely be interested in him.

Plus don’t you think that it would have been picked up by the media? If not by sources around Millwall then 100% by local reporters up there. So far the only ‘rumours’ seem to stem from the car park and perpetrated by fans who want him out no matter what he does.

I wouldn’t blame him personally if he does want to fuck off. We’ve got shit support and next to fuck all money to spend in one of the most toughest leagues in Europe yet here we are sitting relatively safe in late winter and competing week in week out against sides who spend money on players we can only dream of.

Some of our fan base need a reality check if they think that we can simply afford to pay managers off for every 18 months until we find someone who’s going to come in and somehow miraculously get this squad playing like a prime Barcelona.

Surely no one believes that Rowett has been applying for other jobs. Take Sunderland for instance, if he had gone for it he would have got it or at least been one of the front runners. As an experienced championship manager making a decent fist of a difficult job at the moment a club like Sunderland would surely be interested in him.

Plus don’t you think that it would have been picked up by the media? If not by sources around Millwall then 100% by local reporters up there. So far the only ‘rumours’ seem to stem from the car park and perpetrated by fans who want him out no matter what he does.

I wouldn’t blame him personally if he does want to fuck off. We’ve got shit support and next to fuck all money to spend in one of the most toughest leagues in Europe yet here we are sitting relatively safe in late winter and competing week in week out against sides who spend money on players we can only dream of.

Some of our fan base need a reality check if they think that we can simply afford to pay managers off for every 18 months until we find someone who’s going to come in and somehow miraculously get this squad playing like a prime Barcelona.

For me, spot on

I think, considering the budget he has had to work with, he's done great.
The football hasn't always been great but, at times, when the whole team have clicked, we have looked a very solid, decent side.

He's had terrible luck with player injuries since he arrived and with a limited squad, it will always be difficult. If he does go, he will have left the club in a better position than when he came here.

I'm not sure how long his contract has left to run, but even so, if he walked out for another club before it ends, there is no outlay for the club. If that's the case, both him and Harris have saved the club pissing money up the wall in compensation payments.

You’re probably right, in that this rumour is a load of bollox, but like you said, you wouldn’t blame Rowett if he did fuck off! I highlighted above how little he’s had, money wise, to bring in players that could change and improve the team, and I’m sure he has been incredibly frustrated about that not coming to pass!

The league table doesn’t lie: we’re sitting mid table, and that’s an excellent result considering our support and lack of money, but we‘ve also been fortunate that the Championship has been piss poor this season (and has been for the past couple of seasons), and there are teams playing much worse than us, who are propping up the rest of the league table, but we all know that it isn’t the league position that has pissed off supporters: it’s the fact that Rowett continues to play negative, defensive football!

Part of the reason for that, is that we don’t have the money to buy in the flair players to make our football more stylish and more attacking, but you could counter that by saying that we didn’t have any money when Rowett took over, but he got us playing a better, more attractive style of football that was a breath of fresh air after our last season under Harris! So what changed?

Don’t forget, if Rowett jumped ship now, or at the end of the season, JB wouldn’t need to pay him off, as he didn’t when Harris walked away! If he’s still under contract going into next season, and JB decides he’s had enough of him, then he would have to pay Rowett something!

Hopefully it’ll be a mutual decision by both sides to simply part ways with each other after the last game of this season!

I don't like defensive football, but let's get real, with our non budget, lack of attraction to a lot players for their reasons, I think he has done a decent job to make us a stable Championship team, rather than looking at the bottom 3 place all season, I like boring with a flirt with the top six, ill take that

I don’t think I have ever heard of a manager under contract applying for other jobs. Normally a club wants a specific manager and pay compensation to get him. If he wants to go and the club are prepared for him to go then he could just step down and wait for the right opportunity. I think this time next year he will still be our manager.
Officially but how many times does a club sack their manager and the replacement comes in swiftly, managers are no different to players when it comes to moving clubs, plenty of talk behind others backs.
If Rowett fancied another job he would of made sure those that needed to know he was interested would of have been told.

Bang on mate.

Didn’t like Rowett before he came to us as either a player or a pundit on Sky and didn’t want him as our manager….. but I have no problem with the job he has done and is doing for us and wouldn’t mind him signing a new contract with us. Not sure who would do better with the same budget Or what people realistically expect would be an improvement on Rowett.

You’re probably right, in that this rumour is a load of bollox, but like you said, you wouldn’t blame Rowett if he did fuck off! I highlighted above how little he’s had, money wise, to bring in players that could change and improve the team, and I’m sure he has been incredibly frustrated about that not coming to pass!

The league table doesn’t lie: we’re sitting mid table, and that’s an excellent result considering our support and lack of money, but we‘ve also been fortunate that the Championship has been piss poor this season (and has been for the past couple of seasons), and there are teams playing much worse than us, who are propping up the rest of the league table, but we all know that it isn’t the league position that has pissed off supporters: it’s the fact that Rowett continues to play negative, defensive football!

Part of the reason for that, is that we don’t have the money to buy in the flair players to make our football more stylish and more attacking, but you could counter that by saying that we didn’t have any money when Rowett took over, but he got us playing a better, more attractive style of football that was a breath of fresh air after our last season under Harris! So what changed?

Don’t forget, if Rowett jumped ship now, or at the end of the season, JB wouldn’t need to pay him off, as he didn’t when Harris walked away! If he’s still under contract going into next season, and JB decides he’s had enough of him, then he would have to pay Rowett something!

Hopefully it’ll be a mutual decision by both sides to simply part ways with each other after the last game of this season!
He was fine when he arrived but then he had CD with him and that’s no coincidence!

people make up shit all the time - and so many people on this board think everything they read is true. has anyone got actual proof he has been applying for other management roles?

If true the board should be looking now to replace, not wait till the summer. It will give who ever time to assess who leaves and who stays

Last edited:
people make up shit all the time - and so many people on this board think everything they read is true. has anyone got actual proof he has been applying for other management roles?
Nope, and that’s why champs08 said it was a rumour.

If there’s any substance to it, I’m sure there will be a slow drip feed of more info coming out in the next few days!

There's been a fall out over the January window with SK and JB, of that I'm sure. Rowetts quote that targets had been identified and "now it's down to JB", was clearly aimed at putting the ball firmly in the boards court for the failure to bring players in. I doubt very much he's applied for other jobs now, but if he's decided to leave in the summer who knows.

Members online