Rowett after the game

monkeymfc

"When we scored, it looked potentially like we might get another. I'd like us to see out the game a little more comfortably but Stoke have got lots of good options and I thought we handled it pretty well."

Gary, Gary. I'm not one of the Drawett-out brigade. I think you've done a good job. But we WOULD have got another if you'd left things alone and didn;t decide to sit back. That could have cost us. Have some balls, man.

"When we scored, it looked potentially like we might get another. I'd like us to see out the game a little more comfortably but Stoke have got lots of good options and I thought we handled it pretty well."

Gary, Gary. I'm not one of the Drawett-out brigade. I think you've done a good job. But we WOULD have got another if you'd left things alone and didn;t decide to sit back. That could have cost us. Have some balls, man.

It is amazing to me that so many of us on here can see it and he either doesn't or doesn't want to.

Just read his comments posted today....sums up.his mindset 100%.....they brought on attacking players at the expense of defensive ones we take off attacking players to "try & hold on" in the none working back 5....just invited them into us....shocking

Really think the players should be speaking to Drawett about this!

Maybe Jed can be the spokesperson? He’ll be fucking off in the summer, so what will he care what Drawett thinks of him? The player/s should tell Drawett they want to play 4-4-2 at home! If enough players tell him that’s the system they want to play, then surely Drawett has to at least give it some consideration?

At the very least he could let the players play 4-4-2 for the home game against Reading! If the players play with that system, the way they did yesterday (when he reverted them to 4-4-2), we might give Reading a fucking good spanking!

Last edited:
Really think the players should be speaking to Drawett about this!

Maybe Jed can be the spokesperson? He’ll be fucking off in the summer, so what will he care what Drawett thinks of him? The player/s should tell Drawett they want to play 4-4-2 at home! If enough players tell him that’s the system they want to play, then surely Drawett has to at least give it some consideration?

At the very least he could let the players play 4-4-2 for the home game against Reading! If the players play with that system, the way they did yesterday (when he reverted them to 4-4-2), we might give Reading a fucking good spanking!
Nice idea, but players dont tell the manager how what he should do.
The closest to that was maybe Jeds comments after the Luton game.

Well done Monkey. Maybe Rowett will see your comments and realise whom you are and take some notice. He will ignore us "peasants" until it is too late but you just may get through to him.

He is stubborn..it seems its his way of no way....as people have said time for the senior players to grow a pair
I think they have , seems to me they just do as they want and we attack when they get fed up with his tactics and the fans get on there backs.
Then like yesterday he takes players off and replaces them with defenders, we ended yesterday with 7 at the back.

If he wanted to close the game out all he needed to do was to go 451 and stop balls coming into our penalty box once we were 3-1 up. We clearly had them reeling and let them off the hook with his fearful bottle job approach. That game could easily of ended up 2-2. Someone in the management team must have the balls to tell him what we and the players can clearly see. I feel sorry for the players as when we boo the dull crap he creates they must think it’s aimed at them when it’s at the manager. I’ve said it a fair few times this is a very good squad bar about 3 and could easily challenge for 5th or 6th.

He is stubborn..it seems its his way of no way....as people have said time for the senior players to grow a pair
Yes, he is stubborn, but I think it’s a little bit more than just that!

Drawett became Stoke manager, and was given a war chest of £50M to spend on players to get the club back into the Prem! He spent nearly all of that money (£12M was spent on Afobe), but ultimately he failed in his task! He gets severe stick about it all, from the Stoke supporters to this day, and I’m sure that failure probably hit him quite hard. It was a dent to his confidence and his ambition (the latter was the reason he dumped Derby for Stoke in the first place), so between his Stoke sacking and getting the Millwall manager gig, I think that loss of confidence started to get worse!

Many on this forum (including myself), believe that Drawett’s good managerial start with us, was more down to his assistant, Callum Davidson, than to himself, and this was proven when Davidson left to manage Scottish side, St. Johnstone, because Drawett became less gung ho in his attacking approach, and much more defence minded!

Why was this? I think Drawett realised after a few months of becoming our manager, that there wasn’t many in the squad that he could say were consistently great Millwall players. He knew he didn’t have much in the way of money to spend on improving the squad (there was no money safety net that he had at Stoke - where if a player wasn’t working out, he could just splash the cash and replace him), and I think that’s when the panic set in!

Drawett had always been a defensive manager, both at Derby and at Stoke, but now, with no money to improve our poor forward line to get the goals, he panicked and fell back on the one tactic that had never deserted him: defending! He realised that with a strong defence (which we had), if they could stop the opposition scoring, there was always a chance our midfield or forward line might nick a goal and win the game! It’s a tactic that he’s still using today, because he doesn’t have the confidence in his forward line, but more importantly, he doesn’t have the confidence in himself to change tactics when needed, or change formations when his one isn’t working out! He’s like a rabbit caught in the head lights, not knowing which way to jump when the juggernaut is bearing down on him!

If he wants to improve as a manager, and kick on, either with us, or another club, he has to get that confidence back! His lack of it has already seeped through to the players, and in some games this (and last) season, some of their performances was absolutely dire to watch! It shouldn’t be down to the players (or supporters), to tell a manager where he’s lacking, and how to rectify things to improve said players and win games! That’s Drawett’s job - the one he gets paid the big bucks for!

I just hope that the short time the players had in the 4-4-2 formation on Saturday, where they were finally playing the Millwall way of old, will give Drawett the confidence at last to continue with that formation. The team will get injuries during the winter, and if we are still in or around the play offs at the end of December, but missing a key player or two, I just hope Drawett can convince JB to splash a bit of cash to replace those players and improve the squad further, so we can keep the momentum going and cement our place in the play offs, by the time the last game of the season rolls around!

Anything less from Drawett and the players, will be seen as another season failure. They have to pull out all the stops to avoid that happening!

Last edited:
Imagine because of GR's subs/tactics that the lino or ref gave a penalty for the Malone handball and they ended up drawing the game from being the team in control!.
There would have been comments about GR & AB and how they allowed Stoke to get back into the game with divvy subs/tactics etc.

Then there would be comments from others banging on about how they would have taken a draw at the start as Stoke are in the top 6 with decent players blah blah.

Either way it wouldn't have been good enough.

Reality is its results based and we eventually won and GR is off the hook for now.

Last edited:
Just read his comments posted today....sums up.his mindset 100%.....they brought on attacking players at the expense of defensive ones we take off attacking players to "try & hold on" in the none working back 5....just invited them into us....shocking
This tells a different story mate and at least he’s aware of our views on 442 at home 😉

Members online