Rowett a tactical genius

It’s one thing playing a formation that does not suit us but playing players out of position is nuts. We had a left back on the bench but we played a right footed midfielder left wingback who was ultimately replaced by a young up and coming centre forward🤦🏻‍♂️If he wants to persist with this dogshit formation of 3 centre backs he needs to get (don’t ask me where from) another 2 decent wingbacks to cover injuries and suspensions. Or just keep it basic and return to a back 4 where players can fit in more easily.

It’s one thing playing a formation that does not suit us but playing players out of position is nuts. We had a left back on the bench but we played a right footed midfielder left wingback who was ultimately replaced by a young up and coming centre forward🤦🏻‍♂️If he wants to persist with this dogshit formation of 3 centre backs he needs to get (don’t ask me where from) another 2 decent wingbacks to cover injuries and suspensions. Or just keep it basic and return to a back 4 where players can fit in more easily.
The fact that GR heavily relies on one set formation suggests that he is limited.

Today was disjointed and the sight of the players trying to work it all out after the third goal was worrying

We actually didn’t play that badly.

The midfield were getting more of the ball than the centre halves which made a difference, but yet again the lack of penetrative wingers on either side and a midfielder with an eye for a pass meant we were limited with what we could create.

Rowett needs to bite the bullet and go to a back four, with two strikers and some pace and width.

Mitchell’s inability to find a pass was exposed yet again on Saturday. I propose we drop Flemming a bit deeper to play alongside him so that he can actually impact the game.

The midfield were getting more of the ball than the centre halves which made a difference, but yet again the lack of penetrative wingers on either side and a midfielder with an eye for a pass meant we were limited with what we could create.

Rowett needs to bite the bullet and go to a back four, with two strikers and some pace and width.

Mitchell’s inability to find a pass was exposed yet again on Saturday. I propose we drop Flemming a bit deeper to play alongside him so that he can actually impact the game.
We thought Campbell could be that player, once he's fit and finds his feet at the club. He actually played a couple of balls through their back line but we were not used to that and lost possession.

Or drop Billy all together? seems a good lad but is a very poor player at this level

I found this old FourFourTwo interview with Rowett. What he said below could explain our tactics:

“When you look at the likes of Mourinho’s Inter Milan when they beat Barcelona and Bayern Munich to win the Champions League, they literally gave the ball away 
on purpose so they could maintain their defensive shape when they were 1-0 up, and I think a lot of teams at this level are looking at those types of aspects and seeing that as a feature of defensive play.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...-gary-rowett-and-rise-lower-league-tacticians

I found this old FourFourTwo interview with Rowett. What he said below could explain our tactics:

“When you look at the likes of Mourinho’s Inter Milan when they beat Barcelona and Bayern Munich to win the Champions League, they literally gave the ball away 
on purpose so they could maintain their defensive shape when they were 1-0 up, and I think a lot of teams at this level are looking at those types of aspects and seeing that as a feature of defensive play.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...-gary-rowett-and-rise-lower-league-tacticians
I don’t see us like that though. We aren’t dogged enough in defence. Leeds countered us three times with relative ease and scored.

Our defence is leaky and our attack is stodgy, rigid and lacking any sort of penetration or impetus.

We’re becoming easy to play against. Time after time opposition players, managers and pundits wheel out the ‘tough place to come’ line - the truth is, far from it! Anyone who wants to come and take points from us at home can currently do so.

I would hazard that you have to build the team around the best players for the key positions in the formation.

Up front, Rab and Brad are much of a muchness so far. Argument for 00 playing in the 10 role on the large portion of last season’s performances.

Midfield, fuck knows. Little creativity from any of them. if fit, Watmore should be in an attacking role- one holding midfielder with two in front possibly?

Defence, picks itself- if four at the back. Which would mean only one up front, which won’t work.

My point being, the squad isn’t balanced- I’ve struggled to guess the starting 11 and tactics all season before each game. Unsettled and it shows.