Respect to bomber and his family and Jed

They do say that only death reveals the true measure of a person. I've been struggling to work out why I'm so upset about John's death given I've never met him face to face. I know he has helped people on here with various problems; this is quite amazing in itself, a chairman of a football club returning the calls of fans asking for his help!

However, I think these instances cannot alone explain why I feel such loss. Thinking about it more, I think it's because JB obviously treasured something that we treasure; he loved something dearly that we love. He didn't just buy a football club, he bought into everything that we hold dear: passion, history, patriotism, loyalty. Moreover, he did it all without a trace of ego.

This might sound strange, but you would never have known JB was the chairman of Millwall. He changed nothing about our club for his own ends. However, his steady hand was always at the tiller, pumping millions of pounds a year into our club without asking for anything in return. He didn't ask for gratitude, but we owe him so much.

Last edited:
They do say that only death reveals the true measure of a person. I've been struggling to work out why I'm so upset about John's death given I've never met him face to face. I know he has helped people on here with various problems; this is quite amazing in itself. A chairman of a football club returning the calls of fans asking for his help!

However, I think these instances cannot alone explain why I feel such loss. Thinking about it more, I think it's because JB obviously treasured something that we treasure; he loved something dearly that we love. He didn't just buy a football club, he bought into everything that we hold dear: passion, history, patriotism, loyalty. Moreover, he did it all without a trace of ego.

This might sound strange, but you would never have known JB was the chairman of Millwall. He changed nothing about our club for his own ends. However, his steady hand was always at the tiller, pumping millions of pounds a year into our club without asking for anything in return. He didn't ask for gratitude, but we owe him so much.

Tony,

I'm sitting here reading this, and i'm fucking gutted mate.

always us this shit seems to happen to.

They do say that only death reveals the true measure of a person. I've been struggling to work out why I'm so upset about John's death given I've never met him face to face. I know he has helped people on here with various problems; this is quite amazing in itself. A chairman of a football club returning the calls of fans asking for his help!

I get you mate and simply he was a human being who loved the club like us. Yet I’m so gutted he’s gone ahead of us before his time. Let’s treasure his term with us no found experienced with others. Love JB ❤️

They do say that only death reveals the true measure of a person. I've been struggling to work out why I'm so upset about John's death given I've never met him face to face. I know he has helped people on here with various problems; this is quite amazing in itself, a chairman of a football club returning the calls of fans asking for his help!

Yes I was wondering why I was grieving as if I’d lost a close relative and you put it very well TD.
In essence the great man was full of humility and he was also one of us. That made him unique as a chairman.

👏

I have been struggling with the same thoughts on why it is affecting me so much and did have the pleasure of speaking to him a couple of times

your words have hit the nail on the head of how and why I feel such a great sense of loss

thanks for your post mate

Nail firmly hit on the head :tophat:

i like the fact that, pretty much, he was "without opinon". No grand rants on the media. You never got the sense of what he actually believed about anything, especially when the club was in the spotlight. Now this is actually a strength, especially in this day and age, where our inner lives our spread out on pixels for the whole world to see. He was simply a great chairman, knew his role absoloutly, and provided no more or no less. The opposite of a showman (in a world of showmen).

I feel exactly the same, it's as if I've lost a close member of the family. I've genuinley had tears in my eyes while reading about a bloke I never knew, never met but had the same love and passion for my football club.
I just hope JB's family find a little solace in the genuine love and affection we all had for the fella.
Again, I'm welling up just typing this.

Spot on. Asked myself the same question the day after he died. Never met him but felt a sense of mourning, bringing back the feelings of lost for my loved ones that are no longer with us. I concluded it was trust. We all trusted him, a common belief that he had the best interests of our club at heart. Warts and all, he got us and nurtured a sense of belonging to his staff at the club- leadership in business doesn’t get better.

JOHN BERYLSON,
No amount of plaudits and testimonies will ever be able to describe what this man has done for the club he deeply loved and enjoyed.
Never courted the limelight ,Never give it the big "I am",Never asked for a return on his expenditure,happier with fans on Matchdays than the "corporate side of things" I could go on and on about John's positive and passionate care of the club and people he loved and cared about.US in a word.
JOHN BERYLSON-ENOUGH SAID