Relegation A Certainty?

PurleyLion

Staff member
Next season?

If we were promoted (most unlikely) we’ll be relegated with the lowest ever Premiership points total.

If we remain in the Championship (most probable) will we be good enough to not be relegated to Division One in 2024/25? The way we are playing now a distinct possibility 🤦‍♂️

Negative? Yes, but for it to not happen we need a serious change of personnel and tactics and I can’t see it happening 🤷‍♂️

Keep the faith Purley, this is Millwall and it’s always been like this for as long as I can remember. We have another 3 games to go and sneaking into 6th on goal difference will be about right.

Next season?

If we were promoted (most unlikely) we’ll be relegated with the lowest ever Premiership points total.

If we remain in the Championship (most probable) will we be good enough to not be relegated to Division One in 2024/25? The way we are playing now a distinct possibility 🤦‍♂️

Negative? Yes, but for it to not happen we need a serious change of personnel and tactics and I can’t see it happening 🤷‍♂️
Totally agree, I wouldn't want to witness Millwall getting an absolute hiding week in week out for money, money has ruined this game.... happy to let Wrexham pass us tbh.

Just happy not to get relegated this season... just remain in business is a bonus in this day and age.

I think we’ve got a squad of players that will run their hearts out, but we need to add some more technically gifted players that are comfortable keeping possession. We can then have plan B rather than long hopeful balls to a 5’ 9” striker.

I've been saying for ages I don't want us to go up for loads of reasons, but the play offs would be a grin.

We are a funny outfit, slaughter Watford twice, hold Burnley, beat Sheffield United and Boro, two draws with Luton, yet get beat by Reading, QPR, Hull, Huddersfield (twice ffs) and now Birmingham.

Strange league and we are a strange outfit, but add to the forward line and get a couple of full backs and we're not too shabby

Tend to agree. The best part of going up would be just that, our day at Wembley.
Wouldn't be like in the 80s when you could get a ticket from the club for all matches home and away in the top tier and probably a bit of an anti climax.
Still the parachute payment would be useful.
Nonetheless let's go for it - Blackburn game could be massive.
Come on you Lions!

Last edited:
Just think the long arduous season has caught up with us and quite possibly nerves/ pressure are affecting the team.

As for the premier and staying in it, not bothered. If we could compete then perhaps yeah but if not what would be the point. That goes for any division, if you can't compete it's no fun and a chore to witness.

Those that say a season in the premier would set us up for life are wide of the mark in my opinion. Most of our income would go on wages, agent fee's and adaptations to the ground that the premier league and TV companies demand beofre you can kick a ball.

Just think the long arduous season has caught up with us and quite possibly nerves/ pressure are affecting the team.

As for the premier and staying in it, not bothered. If we could compete then perhaps yeah but if not what would be the point. That goes for any division, if you can't compete it's no fun and a chore to witness.

Those that say a season in the premier would set us up for life are wide of the mark in my opinion. Most of our income would go on wages, agent fee's and adaptations to the ground that the premier league and TV companies demand beofre you can kick a ball.
Interested to understand what adaptions we'd need to make to the ground are there specific regulations that we don't conform too?
I think we have to aspire to go up, otherwise what's the point? Not saying we wouldn't get shafted every week, but I could suffer for a season if it secured our future for the foreseeable which I think it would.

This. 100%.

Interested to understand what adaptions we'd need to make to the ground are there specific regulations that we don't conform too?
Lots of changes for media/ tv companies to start with. They require/ take quite a bit of space up in what will be the main stand if you don't have the space elsewhere.

but I could suffer for a season if it secured our future for the foreseeable which I think it would.
So could i.

It is a no win situation. Go up and we will have to spend millions just to survive. Then there is the Sky problem kicking off at 8pm on a Monday night, not being able to go to away games because all the tickets will go to season ticket holders and VAR which hopefully someone will rip out as soon as a decision goes against us. But if we don't go up we lose our best players and have to rely on loan signings.

I'd like to see us make the playoffs, so we get an extra game or two to go to. Be disappointing to lose but you get used to it, not bothered about promotion but the money would come in handy.

We are in 5th position with the current personnel and tactics. We are always inconsistent. The only thing we consistently do is start the season shakily, put a set of wins together after Christmas and fade as the season ends. I'm hoping we can dodge that last bit and win a few.

Lastly (thank f#ck) look at the teams around us, are any that much better than us? WBA definitely not, Sunderland pretty on the eye but ineffective, Coventry/Blackburn wildly inconsistent, Preston we did the double over!

But if we don't go up we lose our best players and have to rely on loan signings.
We didn't go up last season and we never lost any of our best players. In fact we have built on that and have improved our squad with younger, better players that also have a decent sell on value.

Flemming will be bought at some point, the club know that and will profit from that and do the same thing again. It's the only way we can sustain the club in this division and whilst we're trying to get promoted.

Lastly (thank f#ck) look at the teams around us, are any that much better than us? WBA definitely not, Sunderland pretty on the eye but ineffective, Coventry/Blackburn wildly inconsistent, Preston we did the double over!

Sods Law though. It was their away form that was fucking them up. They had a real bad streak on the road that messed up their good, consistent run of home form. They've now won the last two away games and are now closing in on a secure play-off place us. A dodgy run-in though...but aren't they all, it seems?

Capture.JPG