recruitment

HappyLion

Neil says:

“For me, we get the balance of the squad right that we recruit to make sure we have left-footed left backs and right-footed right-backs in the building, to make sure we have the balance of midfield players that can play with the ball, can run forward, can score goals. “We have to make sure we have the right combination of nines at the top end of the pitch. Have we? No, at the moment, so that has to be adjusted for sure.

Seems we will look for a tall ball winning forward. As we pretty much knew. Mac needs to be on the right. So an elusive left back needed.

Ironically I think Dmac has looked one of our best players since playing at left back. I don’t necessarily think it needs to be left footed left back when he is preforming like that, going forward looks a different player.
It worked well enough for Ian Dawes so no reason to move him away from LB.

I like Danny but not at LB. Too many of our attacks stalled yesterday because he stopped to pull the ball back onto his right peg. And similarly against Cardiff.

I still think Bryan is a decent player but understand why there are doubts about his defending and fitness. Excellent going forward 👍

Adom-Malaki has had a decent spell at Sutton but it’s a big step up from League Two to the Championship.

I suspect a LB and “big ‘un” upfront will be NH’s priority, closely followed by a RCD.

I like Danny but not at LB. Too many of our attacks stalled yesterday because he stopped to pull the ball back onto his right peg. And similarly against Cardiff.
I agree. As a right footed back who has played on the left. Always felt better crossing with my right foot. Although I prefered going past a player on the left (on the rare occassions I fancied my chances). The problem cutting inside and crossing with your right is the ball curves into the keeper, rather than swinging towards the striker.

To save some money and accommodate both players I would move Leonard to RCB and Danny Mac to RB. I can see both Hutch and Murray staying as back up so main priority I think is a target man, cover in the Goalkeeping position and getting Longman.

Do you really think we could get Longman? played too well and shown he's a really good player.why would Hull sell him?

Ironically I think Dmac has looked one of our best players since playing at left back. I don’t necessarily think it needs to be left footed left back when he is preforming like that, going forward looks a different player.
I thought it was Neil who put Danny on the left. Ironically he has played very well since that move.

Do you really think we could get Longman? played too well and shown he's a really good player.why would Hull sell him?
He hasn’t played for them this season and, allegedly, wants out.

Unfortunately, I think he’s under contract until summer 2025 which means we won’t get him cheaply 😞

Sorry but Bryan has been a liability, gets caught out of position far too many times. Injury prone and doesn't seem to have any desire either. Danny Mac over him every day of the week.
Bryan was brought in as a wing-back but NH wants a left back.

We know finances are limited so we might have to move players on before we know how much we have to play with. Our increased gates mean we will have a greater budget regarding FFP but let's face it the Millwall way is to pick up lower division/non-league gems or hope that we can pick up one or two gems from the youth set-up.
I would look to bring Longman and Tanganga in permanently which would certainly strengthen the squad.
One thing is certain I'm definitely more optimistic about next season after the way we finished this season.

Sutton United in the National Conference and Bromley, possibly, in League Two; Morison, Dunne and Webster connections; plenty of opportunities for our youngsters to be loaned and gain valuable experience 🤔

One thing is certain I'm definitely more optimistic about next season after the way we finished this season.
Same as that. Was thinking if we did manage to stay up this season would be more of the same next. As it happens I’ll be quite looking forward to next season now.

I still think Bryan is a decent player but understand why there are doubts about his defending and fitness. Excellent going forward 👍

Adom-Malaki has had a decent spell at Sutton but it’s a big step up from League Two to the Championship.

I suspect a LB and “big ‘un” upfront will be NH’s priority, closely followed by a RCD.
I don't think Adom-Malaki has actually been playing at left back for Sutton.