Quotes from the Charlton no life forum

After grinding out a 1-1 draw with the mighty Pikeys at the weekend, tonight, they got torn a new one at bottom club (at start of play) Burton...
:rotfl:

The verdict on the Championship standard team tonight:

Ratings:

Amos 5
Matthews 6
Pratley 3
Gunter 3
Maatsen 4
Maddison 3
Gilbey 4
Watson 4
Shinnie 5
Smyth 4
Bogle 3

Aneke 8
Morgan 7
Washington 4

Bowyer. Tactics 3.

Ps I'm in a generous mood.

:rofl:

had a nose on that Charlton life and half of them were talking like automatics were an almost certainty and they’ll make the top 6 with ease.

That place is like a car crash, you just can’t help but look and be fascinated.

The stench of pomposity and entitlement is sometimes overwhelming... they’re far bigger then QPR... a bigger & better bet than Nottingham Forest for players... should be considered a club like West Ham... best squad in L1... probably won’t lose more than a couple of games... shouldn’t have to play at small grounds, as it doesn’t suit them... when they get back to the PL they’ll probably then do xyz... stoat lives don’t matter...

That place is like a car crash, you just can’t help but look and be fascinated.

The stench of pomposity and entitlement is sometimes overwhelming... they’re far bigger then QPR... a bigger & better bet than Nottingham Forest for players... should be considered a club like West Ham... best squad in L1... probably won’t lose more than a couple of games... shouldn’t have to play at small grounds, as it doesn’t suit them... when they get back to the PL they’ll probably then do xyz... stoat lives don’t matter...
Yeah, I blame you. It is fascinating. And weird.

Yeah, I blame you. It is fascinating. And weird.

I know. I shouldn’t have introduced others to such an addictive drug.

I honestly can’t believe it’s real... that they aren’t just brilliant caricatures created by northern comics on how they think sneering, pompous middle-class southerners would talk on a forum... But it is real!! It reminds me of when people couldn’t be sure if The Office was real or not. It’s a mockuforum!

NB: Jim may have to drink every whisky in his celebrated bible... they call strikers offensive players over there!! 👀

Last edited:
They went on a blinding run, 5 wins on the spin and then a draw I think. But by the sounds of it none of their performances were that convincing.

had a nose on that Charlton life and half of them were talking like automatics were an almost certainty and they’ll make the top 6 with ease.

but as we know the season is a marathon and not a sprint, and with the games coming thick and fast there’s going to be a lot of ups and downs this year. It’s a VERY competitive league. Anyone can beat anyone as we’ve seen tonight. A club as big as Sunderland aren’t even guaranteed top 6.

will be funny as fuck if Danish Dave blows 25 plus mill and doesn’t even get them up. Then fans are allowed back in properly next season and he walks in to a half empty Valium with zero atmosphere and thinks to himself “what the fuck have I done here” 😂
895112B9-8E57-411E-A552-3A64005D1283.jpeg

Manchester United fans used to call City fans the ‘bitters’... but they can’t have anything on Charlton...

FEF65560-3916-480B-ACD8-D584886C9AD9.jpeg
🤔 He would have a point if Millwall weren't the official best giant killers in FA Cup history... going all the way back to our runs to the FA Cup Semi-Finals in 1900 and 1903 as a non- league side, earning our famous nickname of Lions with victories over Everton, Derby, Preston and the mighty Aston Villa of the era.

Or for the fact that we became the first team from the 3rd tier of the FL to reach a FA Cup Semi-Final in 1937, by beating the likes of First Division high flyers Chelsea, Derby County and the team to be champions of England that very season, Manchester City!

Or that in just my lifetime Millwall have knocked out top flight opposition on runs to the 5th Round, QFs and Semi-Finals quite often... including a Gary Lineker inspired Leicester City, away to Arsenal and then Chelsea, Aston Villa, Watford, Bournemouth, the reigning Champions of England in Leicester City with ten men for an entire half, and most recently Everton.

I honestly cannot remember Charlton besting anyone decent in the cup in that entire time or even having a cup run!

But yeah, he makes a good point!

I do recall them giving Northwich Victoria a fair bit of trouble in the FA Cup, when they were laughing so loud about knocking them out, several Northwich fans hurt their ribs they had to miss work on the Monday.

For Charlton fans the FA Cup 3rd Round draw has become a bit of a tradition - in that they all argue about who they may have got, if they had actually stayed in... debating if they’d have been the same number ball / if that ball would have been drawn out the same way etc etc.

Exciting stuff. Much better than an actual cup run.

Probably the only set of football fans in the country happy that fans aren’t really allowed back in grounds properly yet - as they feel this justifies their club’s pathetic cup attitude for once.

No matter how much I hate the cunts. Them having actually won the cup once.means they are more successful in the cup than we are.
The tragedy was that had it not been for the outbreak of WW2 and then our ground being first burnt down then blown to bits, I think it was only a matter of a few short years before we would have overtaken them during their one truly successful era in their history...

No matter how much I hate the cunts. Them having actually won the cup once.means they are more successful in the cup than we are.
Their cup win doesn’t really count though... many big clubs from industrial cities were recovering from the effects of war and also some great sides had lost many great players either to war or the march of time. I am sure Everton, Wolves, Arsenal, Aston Villa, Sunderland and Manchester United may have had more of a say in who won the cup that year!

I think the fact that two clubs like Charlton Athletic, on the Kent borders, and Burnley, a provincial club from the Second Division at the time made the final says it all.

Indeed, it seems they used all their FA Cup luck up with that fortunate victory, because they’ve never got past the QFs since - and they’ve only reached them on 4 occasions!

The tragedy was that had it not been for the outbreak of WW2 and then our ground being first burnt down then blown to bits, I think it was only a matter of a few short years before we would have overtaken them during their one truly successful era in their history...
Indeed...

In the fifteen seasons of First Division football Charlton Athletic enjoyed between 1937 and 1957, they averaged for the most part between 25-30,000. On only six occasions did they average over 30,000. In this same period Millwall were able to attract average crowds of between 20-28,000 for Second and Third Division (South) football, including relegation and re-election seasons.

Charlton’s best average by far was in 1948/49 when they averaged 40,216 finishing 9th in the First Division; Millwall averaged 24,629 in Division Three (South) that same season, having been relegated to the previous season and finishing 8th, playing the likes of Torquay United, Aldershot and Exeter City.

When Charlton Athletic finished 3rd in the First Division in 1938/39 they averaged 25,141; again, that same season Millwall averaged 27,387 finishing 13th in the Second Division.

When the Docks were thriving Millwall were one of the best supported clubs in England based on average attendance and were able to attract such impressive crowds as 45,642 for a match against Notts County for a standard Division Three (South) match with nothing riding on it in 1948; 37,585 v Sheffield Wednesday in Division Two 7th April 1939 - when in 14th place with no chance of going up or down; 39,287 v Newcastle United in Division Two 31st August 1946 - first competitive league game after war at bomb and fire damaged Den, where capacity was restricted; 31,990 v Port Vale in Division Three (South) 21st August 1948 - first game after relegation to Third Tier; and 32,497 v Torquay United in Division Three (South) 20th August 1949 - first game of season, but after two miserable seasons of pain.

And Millwall could still attract big crowds well into the 1960s, just before the London Docks started to wind-down, with the gates being closed after 41,260 clicks of the turnstiles for the visit of Spurs in 1967, with thousands still hoping to get in, and just under 30,000 for the visit of Palace that same season, despite being mid-table in the Second Division and 30,000 for the visit of Leicester City in the 4th Round of the FA Cup in 1969.

So, there is no doubt in my mind based upon the above, that if Millwall could have achieved promotion to the First Division during that same period Charlton did, that we could have attracted average crowds of over 30,000 consistently, and probably closer to 40,000. The Den indeed saw crowds of 45-50,000 for big Cup games in that period, often with thousands locked out. Even Millwall A v Millwall B reserve matches between the wars attracted 15-20,000 crowds – that’s bigger crowds than Charlton were able to attract for second and third tier football on average.

To really highlight this fact, in Charlton’s golden period, when they finished 2nd, 4th and 3rd in consecutive First Division seasons, they averaged 25,141, 28,336 and 31,086 respectively; compared to Millwall averaging 27,387, 22,758 and 19,009 finishing 13th in the Second Division, top and 8th in the Third Division (South) in exactly same period. The season before Charlton achieved back-to-back promotions they averaged 10,574 and then only 15,713 winning the Third Division (South) and 22,026 winning promotion to the top flight, which is less than Millwall averaged winning just the Third Division (South) - 22,758.

They will never admit it over there, but the true potential giant of SE London was always Millwall - with the huge working class community surrounding the club. Not some team on the outskirts of London - who could only draw in big crowds for high profile matches, most of whom were success starved Millwall fans anyway!

Just seen this on Facebook. We’re the 6th closest rivals geographically in England.
We really should be bigger actual rivals than we are.

Attachments

• 224DFA0A-3E56-4089-AFF9-A906622883B3.jpeg
    224DFA0A-3E56-4089-AFF9-A906622883B3.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 26