Public Health Message (please read this!)

Life with the Lions

Hi everyone!

What follows is a Public Health Message, on behalf of Millwall Online, the best and only forum for Millwall supporters!

I recently had a blood test which revealed that my levels of PSA (Prostate-specific antigen) were high, so my GP booked me in to have an MRI scan. The scan showed nothing untoward, but I was told that there’s a 15% chance that an MRI scan can’t pick up everything (something I wasn’t aware of!) I was sent to have a biopsy a couple of weeks ago, and this morning saw a consultant who confirmed that the biopsy I had, revealed that I did indeed have prostate cancer!

During our chat, the consultant dispelled a couple of things that I had read or heard about prostate cancer, that turned out to be factually wrong! One of these was that excessive night peeing can be a sign or symptom of early stage prostate cancer! I told him that the reason I went to see my GP in the first place was because I was peeing, sometimes 3 or 4 times a night! Knowing that was excessive, and believing the stories that it might be prostate cancer, was why I went to see my GP in the first place!

My consultant told me that excessive peeing during the night is not an early warning sign or symptom that I might have the start of prostate cancer! What it pointed to is that I had a plumbing problem with my water works that needed looking at! He said that apart from having my PSA levels checked, there are no early warning signs or symptoms that can alert you to something being wrong! The only way you would know if you had this type of cancer is if you (or your GP), requested a PSA test, which even then only tells you if your levels are high or low! If they’re high (as they were in my case), my GP wanted a more thorough investigation done, and so sent me along to have an MRI scan.

The consultant said, that at 59, I was a mere teenager compared to the usual number of older men who are referred to him. He said that as soon as a man in his late 60’s, 70’s (or above) walks through his door, he already knows that man has prostate cancer. The reason being is because nearly all men will develop prostate cancer at some stage in their life!

He also told me that he could pick 100 people at random off the street, get them tested, and 20% of them would have prostate cancer, but none of them would have known they had it without taking the test first! If unchecked, and with no signs or symptoms alerting you, the cancer would slowly spread until it would be too late to treat it, and you’d just become another cancer statistic the NHS wasn’t able to save!

Thankfully, the cancer I have is at the lowest level possible at the moment, and the fact that cancer of the prostate is very slow to develop, the consultant said that it’s possible that the cancer might not increase during the rest of my life!

There are, however, 4 options open to me. The first is acute surveillance (which I have already chosen), but if anyone wants more detailed information about the other 3 options, I can put them on here or you can private message me if the mods would prefer that!

Acute surveillance means I will have 3 monthly blood tests to monitor my PSA levels, and providing that each time they don’t go above the number I’m currently at, then in 2 years time I will have an MRI scan to do a more in depth check, and if that’s OK, then I carry on with more 3 monthly blood tests. If those blood tests continue to be OK, then 2 years after the MRI scan I will have another biopsy (which is not pleasant and very uncomfortable.) If that comes back OK, then I guess I continue with the 3 monthly blood tests again, until I have another 2 year MRI scan, and the process keeps repeating itself!

I’ve gone for this option 1, as the other options are more invasive and I’m not overly worried about this diagnosis because I’m grateful that this cancer has been picked up so early.

I’m writing this post because of one particular thing the consultant said to me: prostate cancer can start in men at the low age of 45 (though if most men get it, they tend to be in their late 60’s and upwards.) He also said that males who have prostate cancer, and have a son(s), then they should have their PSA levels checked at the age of 40! There is no national screening test for this type of cancer (as there is for, say, breast cancer), so it’s very important that men are aware of this!

You can take steps to protect yourself by asking your GP if you can have a PSA test done. If he/she waives you away, then tell them that you have been excessively peeing during the night for over a week now, and if your GP believes this old wife’s tale that peeing is linked to prostate cancer, chances are they will send you for a blood test to check out your levels!

I think, when men get to 60, they automatically are entitled to a ‘Well Man’ check up, where everything is looked at, including blood tests of which there will be a PSA test, but in those preceding years (45 - 60) there’s nothing available to you unless you ask for this test, or are prepared to go private!

So, look after yourselves, my fellow Millwall supporters! By doing so, you can live a long life which will allow you to enjoy our club’s next 20 years of success in the Premier League! 🤣

Life with the Lions

Hope all is good mate. I have a Dr's appointment on Thursday morning due to a strange lump appearing on my hand. I spent 10 years in the sun between 20 and 30 so would like to make sure it isn't anything untoward (couple of my friends have had skin cancer due to this problem, at a young age too) I will ask for a blood test done as my dad has previously had prostate cancer when he was 47. I'm nearly 40 myself so you can only be safe rather than sorry.

Anyway, enough of me. This isn't about me, I hope this turns out to be ok for you, that your levels do not go up any more than it is. Well done for taking the first steps to be checked, too many males are too "proud" to be checked. Glad you've caught it early.

Hi everyone!

What follows is a Public Health Message, on behalf of Millwall Online, the best and only forum for Millwall supporters!

I recently had a blood test which revealed that my levels of PSA (Prostate-specific antigen) were high, so my GP booked me in to have an MRI scan. The scan showed nothing untoward, but I was told that there’s a 15% chance that an MRI scan can’t pick up everything (something I wasn’t aware of!) I was sent to have a biopsy a couple of weeks ago, and this morning saw a consultant who confirmed that the biopsy I had, revealed that I did indeed have prostate cancer!

During our chat, the consultant dispelled a couple of things that I had read or heard about prostate cancer, that turned out to be factually wrong! One of these was that excessive night peeing can be a sign or symptom of early stage prostate cancer! I told him that the reason I went to see my GP in the first place was because I was peeing, sometimes 3 or 4 times a night! Knowing that was excessive, and believing the stories that it might be prostate cancer, was why I went to see my GP in the first place!

My consultant told me that excessive peeing during the night is not an early warning sign or symptom that I might have the start of prostate cancer! What it pointed to is that I had a plumbing problem with my water works that needed looking at! He said that apart from having my PSA levels checked, there are no early warning signs or symptoms that can alert you to something being wrong! The only way you would know if you had this type of cancer is if you (or your GP), requested a PSA test, which even then only tells you if your levels are high or low! If they’re high (as they were in my case), my GP wanted a more thorough investigation done, and so sent me along to have an MRI scan.

The consultant said, that at 59, I was a mere teenager compared to the usual number of older men who are referred to him. He said that as soon as a man in his late 60’s, 70’s (or above) walks through his door, he already knows that man has prostate cancer. The reason being is because nearly all men will develop prostate cancer at some stage in their life!

He also told me that he could pick 100 people at random off the street, get them tested, and 20% of them would have prostate cancer, but none of them would have known they had it without taking the test first! If unchecked, and with no signs or symptoms alerting you, the cancer would slowly spread until it would be too late to treat it, and you’d just become another cancer statistic the NHS wasn’t able to save!

Thankfully, the cancer I have is at the lowest level possible at the moment, and the fact that cancer of the prostate is very slow to develop, the consultant said that it’s possible that the cancer might not increase during the rest of my life!

There are, however, 4 options open to me. The first is acute surveillance (which I have already chosen), but if anyone wants more detailed information about the other 3 options, I can put them on here or you can private message me if the mods would prefer that!

Acute surveillance means I will have 3 monthly blood tests to monitor my PSA levels, and providing that each time they don’t go above the number I’m currently at, then in 2 years time I will have an MRI scan to do a more in depth check, and if that’s OK, then I carry on with more 3 monthly blood tests. If those blood tests continue to be OK, then 2 years after the MRI scan I will have another biopsy (which is not pleasant and very uncomfortable.) If that comes back OK, then I guess I continue with the 3 monthly blood tests again, until I have another 2 year MRI scan, and the process keeps repeating itself!

I’ve gone for this option 1, as the other options are more invasive and I’m not overly worried about this diagnosis because I’m grateful that this cancer has been picked up so early.

I’m writing this post because of one particular thing the consultant said to me: prostate cancer can start in men at the low age of 45 (though if most men get it, they tend to be in their late 60’s and upwards.) He also said that males who have prostate cancer, and have a son(s), then they should have their PSA levels checked at the age of 40! There is no national screening test for this type of cancer (as there is for, say, breast cancer), so it’s very important that men are aware of this!

You can take steps to protect yourself by asking your GP if you can have a PSA test done. If he/she waives you away, then tell them that you have been excessively peeing during the night for over a week now, and if your GP believes this old wife’s tale that peeing is linked to prostate cancer, chances are they will send you for a blood test to check out your levels!

I think, when men get to 60, they automatically are entitled to a ‘Well Man’ check up, where everything is looked at, including blood tests of which there will be a PSA test, but in those preceding years (45 - 60) there’s nothing available to you unless you ask for this test, or are prepared to go private!

So, look after yourselves, my fellow Millwall supporters! By doing so, you can live a long life which will allow you to enjoy our club’s next 20 years of success in the Premier League! 🤣

Life with the Lions
Hope all continues to go well with you.
Had my prostate removed 2014. (diagnosed 2 days before Christmas 2013 😳😳, curtailed my celebrations somewhat.) Used to get an annual blood test/check up for my AS and just happened, because of a bout of publicity at the time, to ask my consultant to tack on a PSA blood test. Fucking good job I did. The tumour was large but fortunately had not spread outside of the prostate, so out the fucker had to come.
Had no symptoms at all. Had to have a couple of small biopsies where they take 6 little samples, and MRI they proved inconclusive so had the one where they do it under anaesthetic, about 30 samples, as you say they are uncomfortable but nothing major. Now have blood tests every 6 mths cos i don't trust the cunt, and all good 🤞.
Any gents who are of an age or have symptoms must go and get it checked can't emphasise it strongly enough. What's a bit of discomfort if it comes to it, compared to the alternative. 👊

Hi everyone!

Life with the Lions
Great post LWTL. There is nothing more important than your health. Even Millwall.

Had my prostate remove when in my early sixties. Was cancerous and I had no symptoms whatsoever. PSA test was a little high and the biopsy revealed the cancer. That was nearly 20 years ago and apart from yearly PSA tests to make sure the bugger hasn't reappeared, all is OK.
At my golf club I know of 5 others with a similar tale who had the prostate removed and are fine, and 2 who didn't after high PSA test, one close friend who sadly died, and another whose cancer has spread to his pelvis and is now on chemotherapy.
Can't stress enough the importance of a PSA test or getting things checked if you are pissing a lot.
COYL

Last edited:
Had my prostate remove when in my early sixties. Was cancerous and I had no symptoms whatsoever. PSA test was a little high and the biopsy revealed the cancer. That was nearly 20 years ago and apart from yearly PSA tests to make sure the bugger hasn't reappeared, all is OK.
At my golf club I know of 5 others with a similar tale who had the prostate removed and are fine, and 2 who didn't after high PSA test, one close friend who sadly died, and another whose cancer has spread to his pelvis and is now on chemotherapy.
Can't stress enough the impotence of a PSA test or getting things checked if you are pissing a lot.
COYL
Respect to you for bringing this out in the open. I can only admire your positive attitude, and hope sincerely that the regular checks will all be ok.
Wishing you all the very best against that bastard disease.

This is another great post. My cousins husband died of this disease., 6 months after he found out. Then we were told my dad's brother has it but he didn't want us all to know. I'm the wrong side of 60 now, so went and had a blood test, all good. If anyone on here or has mates who are at all worried about the plumbing dept, GO GET IT CHECKED OUT. We have the best free health care in the world. It might just save your life.

When my younger brother (by 6 years) died from cancer 13 years, I asked my GP if there were any preemptive actions I could take, he recommended 6 monthly PSA blood checks, that I’ve taken since and, touch wood, the readings haven’t raised any concerns.

There are several men at my golf club that have had differing levels of successful prostate treatment, which is encouraging 👍

Coincidentally, performing a specific check around 4 weeks back, I noticed an anomaly. I’ve delayed seeking GP advice but after chatting to a golfing colleague this morning (who’s currently being treated for Prostate cancer) phoned my GP surgery around 60 minutes ago. Within 20 minutes a GP rang me and I’m booked me in for a physical check at 19:00 today. Excellent 👍

My gut-feeling is it’s not the dreaded “C” but better safe than sorry.

Fingers crossed 🤞

Last edited:
When my younger brother (by 6 years) died from cancer 13 years, I asked my GP if there were any preemptive actions I
could take, he recommended 6 monthly PSA blood checks, that I’ve taken since and, touch wood, the readings haven’t raised any concerns.

There are several men at my golf club that have had differing levels of successful prostate treatment, which is encouraging 👍

Coincidentally, performing a specific check around 4 weeks back, I noticed an anomaly. I’ve delayed seeking GP advice but after chatting to a golfing colleague this morning (who’s currently being treated for Prostate cancer) phone my GP surgery around 60 minutes ago. Within 20 minutes a GP rang me and I’m booked me in for a physical check at 19:00 today. Excellent 👍

My gut-feeling is it’s not the dreaded “C” but better safe than sorry.

Fingers crossed 🤞
All the best Purley!

Anyway, enough of me. This isn't about me
Thanks everyone for their kind wishes, but I highlighted the above because this isn’t about me either! :grinning:

It’s about everyone needing to know how to prevent this bastard disease from happening to them!

Knowledge is power, and all that!

I only posted initially because of the info I always thought was right (excessive peeing etc) which now turns out to be wrong! That, and getting sons checked out if they’re dad’s already have the disease (didn’t know this particular cancer could potentially passed down either!)

Thanks again though!

Last edited: