Proper club, proper fans…

I took my daughter down there once on her birthday, she was only about 6 or 7. (She’s 17 now). Popped in the 5 Bells before the game. Chatting to a couple of mates in there, dropped in conversation that it was her birthday, one of them bent down and said to her, “is it your birthday sweetheart? Here you go” and gave her a crisp fiver, the other one fished all the change out of his pocket and handed it to her. Her face was was a picture.
She’s smart though my girl. From then on, every time I stopped for a chat with someone, she’d pipe up “it’s my birthday today!!” She came away that day with just short of a hundred quid in fivers, tenners and various coins . 😆😂

Another time I was going up to the executive boxes with my youngest boy, he was only about 8 or 9. I was walking ahead of him chatting to a mate, noticed he weren’t with us, looked back, and at the top of the stairs he was holding the door open for some old boy who was coming up the stairs. The old boy was taking a while to get to him as he was a bit slow on his feet, as he passed through the door, he thanked my son and gave him a ten pound note, and said to him “good manners should be rewarded”

fucking salt of the earth our fans
Love this.

I took my daughter down there once on her birthday, she was only about 6 or 7. (She’s 17 now). Popped in the 5 Bells before the game. Chatting to a couple of mates in there, dropped in conversation that it was her birthday, one of them bent down and said to her, “is it your birthday sweetheart? Here you go” and gave her a crisp fiver, the other one fished all the change out of his pocket and handed it to her. Her face was was a picture.
She’s smart though my girl. From then on, every time I stopped for a chat with someone, she’d pipe up “it’s my birthday today!!” She came away that day with just short of a hundred quid in fivers, tenners and various coins . 😆😂

Another time I was going up to the executive boxes with my youngest boy, he was only about 8 or 9. I was walking ahead of him chatting to a mate, noticed he weren’t with us, looked back, and at the top of the stairs he was holding the door open for some old boy who was coming up the stairs. The old boy was taking a while to get to him as he was a bit slow on his feet, as he passed through the door, he thanked my son and gave him a ten pound note, and said to him “good manners should be rewarded”

fucking salt of the earth our fans
Great story Wippa but you know the thing that makes me feel really proud is the bit your son waited and held the door open for the old boy.
Respect and manners are few and far between now a days.

I started taking my lad down The Den when he was about 4 or 5. He used to spend most of the games on the concourses with loads of other kids playing football with a plastic coke bottle like they do while I watched the match, my missus would say ‘I hope you’re keeping an eye on him down there’. The thing is down Millwall I knew he was safe as houses, he wouldn’t get lost as everyone looks out for each other.

Anyway fast forward a few years and my boy is now 15 and goes on his own with his mates, most of which he’s met over the years down The Den. Because of going Millwall he’s now got pals from all over south east London and beyond. They have got a WhatsApp group with fucking loads of them on it, all teenagers that love putting on a bit of clobber, meeting up and following Millwall and a few of them have even started to go away games together, just like we all did years ago.

In an age when most kids simply can’t afford to go and watch their local clubs with their mates, especially premier league teams in London, we should be proud that these kids are keeping an age old tradition going, we seem to have a never ending conveyor belt of young lads coming through on the terraces. Another reason why we unique in our own way.