Post match thoughts...

Lionsteele

I have been a massive backer of Edwards up till now, I liked what I could see changing but yesterday I feel like he made a huge error by continuing to play 5 at-the-back at home to Wednesday who were just as piss poor as us. The two goals were their only two openings in the game I could really remember.

It amazes me that we played them earlier in the season, win 0-4 and then continue with a changed formation since then that obviously isn't working and that shipped 3 goals in the first half only a few days ago.

I understand Edwards wants to his own system but for me, a good manager is someone who can adapt to what they have got and then change it in the future when they have the players to do so.

I don't think I have seen Cooper play so poorly consistently. First half yesterday we were getting the ball from the keeper and then passing it around the back until someone lost it. Not only that, because we were so deep the two centre midfielders had to drop into our own half to get the ball which meant the back 5 had little options going forward and they ended up lumping up to Bradshaw. I thought we were way past that. Worrying to say the least.

I remember we went through a similar period with Rowett, he eventually changed it to a back 4 and we went on a decent run. A majority of these players know how to play one way unfortunately.

When it changed second half Sheff Wednesday didn't come forward at all (obviously its a different game by then I know) they were running down the clock by falling over every two minutes. The ref didn't do anything to stop that, even blew up early despite all the faffing from the keeper, but that's no change anyway.

Looking at the line up, Danny Mac is a solid right back in a 4, Cooper is different player when playing in a 4, Wallace isn't up to this level and you're making a huge hole by playing him as a wing back. Then you have a change of Leonard/Tang. Why not make the most of what you have? De Norre wants the ball and you can see second half why they should give it to him, not f**k about with it with defenders who clearly do not know what to do with it.

I am not one for chopping managers and I thought this would turn around under him, but if he continues with this, it could be a cricket score against Southampton. I can't help but feel like one up top is going to suit Southampton down to the ground, their keeper and defenders are going to pass it around Bradshaw and he will be doings doggies for 90 minutes.

Btw on Danny Mac, I think its absolutely embarrassing peoples comments on him. He was by far our best player yesterday and has been decent recently. This 'people just like him cause he's one of our own' is complete bollocks, if anything it goes against him. Criticize him when he plays poorly but don't just say it cause its a buzz word. Its like people cannot say it quick enough.

With that being said, il never boo my own team despite how shit we are. I'll be shouting but still get behind them.

Interested to see what the club do moving forward but the manager needs to adjust this quickly because for me, continuing the way he is, is literally the definition of insanity.

Last edited:
I have been a massive backer of Edwards up till now, I liked what I could see changing but yesterday I feel like he made a huge error by continuing to play 5 at-the-back at home to Wednesday who were just as piss poor as us. The two goals were their only two openings in the game I could really remember.

It amazes me that we played them earlier in the season, win 0-4 and then continue with a changed formation since then that obviously isn't working and that shipped 3 goals in the first half only a few days ago.

I understand Edwards wants to his own system but for me, a good manager is someone who can adapt to what they have got and then change it in the future when they have the players to do so.

I don't think I have seen Cooper play so poorly consistently. First half yesterday we were getting the ball from the keeper and then passing it around the back until someone lost it. Not only that, because we were so deep the two centre midfielders had to drop into our own half to get the ball which meant the back 5 had little options going forward and they ended up lumping up to Bradshaw. I thought we were way past that. Worrying to say the least.

I remember we went through a similar period with Rowett, he eventually changed it to a back 4 and we went on a decent run. A majority of these players know how to play one way unfortunately.

When it changed second half Sheff Wednesday didn't come forward at all (obviously its a different game by then I know) they were running down the clock by falling over every two minutes. The ref didn't do anything to stop that, even blew up early despite all the faffing from the keeper, but that's no change anyway.

Looking at the line up, Danny Mac is a solid right back in a 4, Cooper is different player when playing in a 4, Wallace isn't up to this level and you're making a huge hole by playing him as a wing back. Then you have a change of Leonard/Tang. Why not make the most of what you have? De Norre wants the ball and you can see second half why they should give it to him, not f**k about with it with defenders who clearly do not know what to do with it.

I am not one for chopping managers and I thought this would turn around under him, but if he continues with this, it could be a cricket score against Southampton. I can't help but feel like one up top is going to suit Southampton down to the ground, their keeper and defenders are going to pass it around Bradshaw and he will be doings doggies for 90 minutes.

Btw on Danny Mac, I think its absolutely embarrassing peoples comments on him. He was by far our best player yesterday and has been decent recently. This 'people just like him cause he's one of our own' is complete bollocks, if anything it goes against him. Criticize him when he plays poorly but don't just say it cause its a buzz word. Its like people cannot say it quick enough.

With that being said, il never boo my own team despite how shit we are. I'll be shouting but still get behind them.

Interested to see what the club do moving forward but the manager needs to adjust this quickly because for me, continuing the way he is, is literally the definition of insanity.
Great Post.

Not that I know anything, but it appears that when we have someone not afraid to run at the opposition, their defence panics.
Master tactician here thought why not exploit that.
Emakhu. Longman. Watmore. Esse. Obafemi.
All quick, with Longman and Obafemi being big strong lads too.
Would certainly push our boys up into the opposite half, and the back 4 plenty of room to deal with breaks.
Sorry. I'm going to crawl back under my stone now.

Not that I know anything, but it appears that when we have someone not afraid to run at the opposition, their defence panics.
Would certainly push our boys up into the opposite half, and the back 4 plenty of room to deal with breaks.
Think you are spot on, with no attacking threat from Flemming, Bradshaw and wing backs, we are easy to defend against.

Had we started as you suggest, I really don't think we would have found ourselves 2 goals down. Our second half performance was at least better than our first. Mainly due to Coffeys efforts to attack. Likewise Watmores aggressive running at the Wednesday defence. So why didn't they, and maybe Emakhu, start the match rather than pedestrian Flemming and Esse? And no guff about protecting injuries!

Had we started as you suggest, I really don't think we would have found ourselves 2 goals down. Our second half performance was at least better than our first. Mainly due to Coffeys efforts to attack. Likewise Watmores aggressive running at the Wednesday defence. So why didn't they, and maybe Emakhu, start the match rather than pedestrian Flemming and Esse? And no guff about protecting injuries!
It's okay getting a bit of the ball and looking half decent when 2 0 down, but did you really think we would score????

Danny Mac has probably been our best in every single one if our last 4 or 5 games.
Nothing to do with one of our own, simply because it's true.
I agree, he has raced down the touchline at times. He has made himself available, however team mates have either chose not to pass to him or haven't the belief that they can make the pass.