Our high scoring games

Overseaswall

I have been going millwall since mid 70s I have seen us suffer plenty of times losing 6-2 at sunderland, 6 at home to grimsby, and Birmingham and rotherham, the biggest win I have personally seen was 6-0 at home to brentford and 6 we got at the old den v Plymouth Seems to happen quite a lot last 20 years or so crippled Alice stuffed at Anfield vermin letting in 7 at Blackburn Norwich this season when was the last time we scored 7?

1960 we lost at home 1-7 v Chelsea in the Football League Cup. Half-time we were only 1-2 down and I genuinely thought we had a chance of turning them over. How wrong was I? 🤦‍♂️

Greaves scored 2 as did Peter Sillett (a couple of cracking shots from outside the box).

I’ve posted about this before and here I go again!

In September 1956 we lost away to Torquay 7-2. January 1957 we won the return (I was there👍) 7-2 🤦‍♂️

I’ve no idea what the odds of those scores but wouldn’t be surprised if it ran into the millions to one :shake:

I was born a couple of weeks after that game and we had a few hammerings that season. Although, we did dish out a couple ourselves. But Hockey score games were probably the norm back then.

That season we had interesting attendances for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round FA Cup home games. This was when the FA Cup meant a lot more back then in the earlier rounds.

LINK:

Footage from when the run was ended by Brum (in round five)... 1-4.

Last edited:
We beat Gateshead 7-0 in 1936. We beat both Coventry and Torquay 9-1 in 1927. I remember a couple of mad games we had against Exeter in 81/82 we lost 5-4 then beat them 5-1 in the return game at the Den, same season Grimsby thumped us 6-1, later that season we beat Fulham 4-3.

I was born a couple of weeks after that game and we had a few hammerings that season. Although, we did dish out a couple ourselves. But Hockey score games was probably the norm back then.

That season we had interesting attendances for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round FA Cup home games. This was when the FA Cup meant a lot more back then in the earlier rounds.

LINK:

Footage from when the run was ended by Brum (in round five)... 1-4.

Was there for both the Newcastle and Birmingham games.

Newcastle was a famous giant-killing 2-1 victory and we were all confident we would turn Birmingham over in the next round. How wrong were we? Outclassed and my abiding memory of that game was of the Birmingham keeper, 6ft 1ins Gil Merrick who was a giant on a man. Seemed to fill the entire goal and stopped everything we threw at him 👏

Both attendances way over 40,000. Fabulous experiences and memories that, unfortunately, will never be repeated 😢

1960 we lost at home 1-7 v Chelsea in the Football League Cup. Half-time we were only 1-2 down and I genuinely thought we had a chance of turning them over. How wrong was I? 🤦‍♂️

Greaves scored 2 as did Peter Sillett (a couple of cracking shots from outside the box).
Blimey I was there too!

We beat Gateshead 7-0 in 1936. We beat both Coventry and Torquay 9-1 in 1927. I remember a couple of mad games we had against Exeter in 81/82 we lost 5-4 then beat them 5-1 in the return game at the Den, same season Grimsby thumped us 6-1, later that season we beat Fulham 4-3.
Was the Exeter game the one we were 5 nil up at half time & got booed off for the second half performance?

Was the Exeter game the one we were 5 nil up at half time & got booed off for the second half performance?
You are thinking about the 82/83 game which was the season after the 5-1 and 5-4. Three nil up at half time and won 5-2, they made us sweat by nicking two goals back making it 4-2 until we got the fifth just before full time. We did have some very high scoring games against Exeter for some reason!

Off the point slightly but the Halifax v Maidenhead 7 - 4 score in the FA Cup last Saturday must be slightly unusual in this day & age

Staff online