Our crowds

The Ilderton

Looking at the year average we sit very close to the bottom of the table in terms of support, yes there are big clubs in the division and historically we cant match that but for a club to still have something to play for on the last day of the season to only average just over 12k is poor..

Not sure crowds make up a huge amount of the clubs income compared to TV and sponsorship but it makes a difference on the pitch.

We are hit hard at night games, lots have moved out of London and with some still working from home, the 40mins after trying to get a train makes it a nightmare, its starting to have an effect on support as well, once out the habit its tough to re start.

The club need to attract more local fans with cheap tickets for night games, it will change the atmosphere of old, sanitising the already sanitized stadium .

Its not how it was at the old Den, the CBL HALFWAY and THE ILDERTON had special feelings in them, also piss running down the terrace on the Halfway, like a reflection in society today its all so shit, it could be just an age thing , that said i remember thinking 4k was a good crowd then.

The football has been boring but effective, cant blame Rowett he has done well with on the £50 budget he gets , maybe its better to yoyo more, one shit season to moan about followed by promotion.

Thoughts , cant see a move working with the supposed redevelopment about to start, a big backer , nope not with our history .

maybe we are where we are and thats it , always punching .

Opening some of the north stand (about time) will help the atmosphere. Inflation will stop many from coming and reduce the number of season tickets sold.

Our gates are on average the highest they've been since 88/89. Prior to that they were worse than now. Season ticket prices are decent if you can get them at the earlybird rate. Walk up prices are trumpy but that's not stopping day trippers from abroad turning up. We simply aren't a well supported club and giving away cheap tickets/ freebies doesn't work- look at Charlton if you want an example.

Over zealous stewards, cctv and microphones hanging from the stands ain't very welcoming either. Bans for next to fuck all, grass lines, shit and pricey food and drink ain't going to attract the punters.

Last edited:
Rather a regular 12k of the hard core fans who turn up each week over another 5/6k of tourists or kids that are not interested and will eventually support one of the prem teams, Man U, Liverpool etc, watching them on TV!!!

We pull larger crowds for bigger games or if we are doing well in the league, we are a working man’s club in a deprived area that is being sold to twats who buy into this 5 mins from the city bollox, so there are people who live local who watch cricket or their missus has them cooking tofu and bringing their sons up wearing dresses and supporting their rights to be called her/she bollox. I was born Rotherhithe but move out years ago, guessing a majority of our supporters are in the same boat.

its pricey these days, I think the club have done a lot to try and bring in new fans, new people moving to the area. We get a fair few tourists, as , correct me if wrong, Millwall is the highest level of football you can see with pay on the day, that an I guess we are a bit of ground to tick off on the look what I did on holiday list, I went to dangerous Millwall!
The outside beer is a good idea, people are getting here earlier, I only went away to Reading and Birmingham this season, their facilities were no better, or the football!

It we get more home grown players involved , that will be a massive step forward, one every two years is no where good enough.

Our gates are on average the highest they've been since 88/89. Prior to that they were worse than now. Season ticket prices are decent if you can get them at the earlybird rate. Walk up prices are trumpy but that's not stopping day trippers from abroad turning up. We simply aren't a well supported club and giving away cheap tickets/ freebies doesn't work- look at Charlton if you want an example.

Over zealous stewards, cctv and microphones hanging from the stands ain't very welcoming either. Bans for next to fuck all, grass lines, shit and pricey food and drink ain't going to attract the punters.
And people clapping the knee....

"Its not how it was at the old Den, the CBL HALFWAY and THE ILDERTON had special feelings in them, also piss running down the terrace on the Halfway, like a reflection in society today its all so shit, it could be just an age thing , that said i remember thinking 4k was a good crowd then"

I'm just glad we were around to enjoy those days.

in the old days we would have ripped that all out. With all the influx of people moving into the areas and buying flash high priced flats,they wont come to millwall.They would go and wacth the new look designer vermin in stratford.

in the old days we would have ripped that all out. With all the influx of people moving into the areas and buying flash high priced flats,they wont come to millwall.They would go and wacth the new look designer vermin in stratford.
See plenty of oddballs in West ham shirts getting the overground from Surrey docks on a matchday now. Was staying down Sussex coast for the warm months and only saw a few west ham shirts get on at Haywards heath and three bridges, that was before they moved. The following season the trains were packed with West ham shirters coming down from Sussex, literally hundreds of them getting off at London bridge and heading to Strattford.

The problem is Football used to be a sport and now its a business, The club have to go by the rules set by the government and the FA, and the knock on effect it now has on our fans has taken its toll over the years.

Fans no longer go as it's more of a pain in the arse then it is fun, the way the world is today with all the woke crap has made it all the more difficult, say boo to a goose and you get banned, stand up, you get banned, take a deep breath, you get banned.

We also have to compete with all the other clubs in London, and we are far from an attractive club to today's "Londoners" (why go to Millwall, they are racist, they are all hooligan's etc....) most of the old guard have moved away and the tradition of introducing family members as they grow up has gone with them.

I don't have the answer to what has to be done, but we do need to try and get new fans, something needs to change, even this season, some have said that they have seen a difference in the crowd, kids with other clubs shirts on, or people just been arseholes with cringe worthy attitudes and behavior.

Looking at the year average we sit very close to the bottom of the table in terms of support, yes there are big clubs in the division and historically we cant match that but for a club to still have something to play for on the last day of the season to only average just over 12k is poor..

Not sure crowds make up a huge amount of the clubs income compared to TV and sponsorship but it makes a difference on the pitch.

We are hit hard at night games, lots have moved out of London and with some still working from home, the 40mins after trying to get a train makes it a nightmare, its starting to have an effect on support as well, once out the habit its tough to re start.

The club need to attract more local fans with cheap tickets for night games, it will change the atmosphere of old, sanitising the already sanitized stadium .

Its not how it was at the old Den, the CBL HALFWAY and THE ILDERTON had special feelings in them, also piss running down the terrace on the Halfway, like a reflection in society today its all so shit, it could be just an age thing , that said i remember thinking 4k was a good crowd then.

The football has been boring but effective, cant blame Rowett he has done well with on the £50 budget he gets , maybe its better to yoyo more, one shit season to moan about followed by promotion.

Thoughts , cant see a move working with the supposed redevelopment about to start, a big backer , nope not with our history .

maybe we are where we are and thats it , always punching .
Harsh reality is a lot of of bods rather stay in a boozer and not bother with going in the ground it’s been the same since I can remember showing my age but 2007 I remember a load of us would rather stay up the blue drinking etc it’s probably be the same since day dot and won’t ever change other than the big games we didn’t bother. A Load of the lads I used to knock about with at that time got banned for as little as giving w*nker signs that was 15 years ago but that was enough to f*ck it off

Last edited: