Once upon a time at Millwall

Andover_Lion

Thought I’d start a thread for tales regarding former Millwall players after I heard a couple this week.

The first from one of my dad’s mates who used to sit in the seats above the dugout in the 60s. Benny Fenton the manager at the time was also sitting in the seats rather than the dugout to get a better view. During a game he shouts down trying to get the attention of the Millwall dugout with no joy, so he shouts to my dad’s mate who is sitting nearer the dugout to get their attention. The message is then passed on to put Eamon Dunphy on as a substitute. 5 minutes pass and no sub is made, so Benny Fenton is getting angry shouting down to my dad’s mate to find out what is going on. The message comes back that Dunphy doesn’t want to go on as it’s too cold.

The second, my uncle used to drink in the Giraffe pub at Kennington. There was a bloke in there who told everyone his brother in law was Derek Possee and after a while they started taking the piss out of him as they thought he was talking shit. My uncle walks in one night and sees the bloke and makes the usual joke about Possee, then sees that Possee is sitting right next to him.

My Grandad was Jack Blackman, the trainer and physio with us for many years. Before that job he played for palace and qpr and scored tons of goal as a striker, he is one of palace's top strickers of all time. Bermondsey boy and millwall fan. A great man. He sadly passed when I was young around 9 but have fond memories. wish he was still around so I could get more inside stories. Feel very proud that he was part of our family.

My Grandad was Jack Blackman, the trainer. Before that job he played for palace and qpr and scored tons of goal as a striker, he is one of palace's top strickers of all time. Bermondsey boy. A great man. He sadly passed when I was young but have fond memories. wish he was still around so I could get more inside stories. Feel very proud that he was part of our family.
Jack was an icon of Millwall FC of that era.
I loved the little plastic thing of water he carried that spilled most of it's contents on the pitch when he ran on.
The original "magic sponge" man.
No Millwall fan of my age will ever forget Jack.

My Grandad was Jack Blackman, the trainer and physio with us for many years. Before that job he played for palace and qpr and scored tons of goal as a striker, he is one of palace's top strickers of all time. Bermondsey boy and millwall fan. A great man. He sadly passed when I was young around 9 but have fond memories. wish he was still around so I could get more inside stories. Feel very proud that he was part of our family.

Jack used to bring his bucket and sponge on to treat players even if there leg was in half

Was Bobby Backache his apprentice?

I loved the little plastic thing of water he carried that spilled most of it's contents on the pitch when he ran on.
The sponge nan would run on, put a cold wet sponge down the injured players shorts on a cold night, and they would soon be up and running around in no time.

Not to bring it down a peg , and apologies if posted elsewhere, but read somewhere else Dave Mehmet had a stroke recently.

One of the funniest stories I ever heard was in 1976 when we was at home to Chelsea, manager Gordon Jago was talking to a newly signed apprentice down the players tunnel an hour or so before kick off, (George Borg I believe 🤔) as he was chatting “welcome to Millwall son etc” absolute mayhem was unfolding above them on the cold blow lane end terrace, before jago went out onto the pitch to appeal for calm through a loud haler Chelsea’s mob were getting blitzed for their sins and forced onto the pitch, one of them “kojak” had it away down the players tunnel whilst jago was interviewing his new kid in town, behind kojak was one of Millwall’s finest just following him biding his time telling the Chelsea bod “ you ain’t getting out” 😂😂 apparently kojak shit himself .

I remember that BP, I asked my old man what that thing was he used to run on with spilling water everywhere. The old man simply replied it’s an old football inner bladder with a hole cut in it.
Fuckin genius, saved him carrying a whole bucket of water across the pitch.
Used to crack me up the way he sprinted across the pitch with it and a can of freezer spray.
One of my earliest memories of going wall along with the peanut man in cbl.

I remember that BP, I asked my old man what that thing was he used to run on with spilling water everywhere. The old man simply replied it’s an old football inner bladder with a hole cut in it.
Used to crack me up the way he sprinted across the pitch with it and a can of freezer spray.
Yes, it was a football inner! I'm glad you said that, because I wasn't sure if I had imagined that.
I was reluctant to say that in case I was making it up, again. :whist:

'Peanuts! First Division Peanuts! Was the call, as I recall.