Murray Wallace

Lions21

I think the stick dished out to Murray from some quarters lately is a bit harsh to say the least. Obviously he’ll struggle against fast wingers as most big defenders do. He’s always gives 100%, gets stuck in and never complains about having to play out of his favoured position of centre back. (Remember Lucas Neill who thought he was a right midfielder, did not want to play right back for us did so for Blackburn and other teams after he left us).
Over the years we’ve seen fullbacks slow down and be moved across to centre back (Matt Lawrence, Tony Craig, PVD Hauwe and Rhino off the top of my head). Poor Murray has been moved in the other direction which is not easy and he has done well and you don’t win the player of the season at Wall unless you deserve it. If Joe Bryan was fit he would be filling in for Coops against Cardiff in his favoured position and his long stint at left back has probably improved him for CB. Whatever players we sign or start with I hope he hangs around at Wall for a few more years at least.

I think the stick dished out to Murray from some quarters lately is a bit harsh to say the least. Obviously he’ll struggle against fast wingers as most big defenders do. He’s always gives 100%, gets stuck in and never complains about having to play out of his favoured position of centre back. (Remember Lucas Neill who thought he was a right midfielder, did not want to play right back for us did so for Blackburn and other teams after he left us).
Over the years we’ve seen fullbacks slow down and be moved across to centre back (Matt Lawrence, Tony Craig, PVD Hauwe and Rhino off the top of my head). Poor Murray has been moved in the other direction which is not easy and he has done well and you don’t win the player of the season at Wall unless you deserve it. If Joe Bryan was fit he would be filling in for Coops against Cardiff in his favoured position and his long stint at left back has probably improved him for CB. Whatever players we sign or start with I hope he hangs around at Wall for a few more years at least.
I echo your sentiment. Played in arguably the worst position in the team. Whoever wants to play against a right winger especially a fast nippy 2 footed one. The man has never whinged about having to play there. Could easily say I ain’t playing there I’ll get roasted but no he plays for the Love of the badge. Sort of player every team needs and he probably knows that Bryan will dislodge him in time. A committed, non shirking, non cheating tough as old boots centre half. Who gets a goal or 2. Would have been nice to give a fair assessment of him after playing in his correct position. Personally I love him.

Last edited:
:grinning:I echo your sentiment. Played in arguably the worst position in the team. Whoever wants to play against a right winger especially a fast nippy 2 footer one. The man has never whinged about having to play there. Could easily say I ain’t playing there I’ll get roasted but no he plays for the Love of the badge. Sort of player every team needs and he probably knows that Bryan will dislodge him in time. A committed, non shirking, non cheating tough as old boots centre half. Who gets a goal or 2. Would have been nice to give a fair assessment of him after playing in his correct position. Personally I love him.
Agreed. Apart from the love bit. Very modern coming out though. :grinning:

Good post. He's been a good servant to us and regardless of his short comings he always gives his all. He often comes under fire at a time when the whole team is struggling. It's true that you need to be extra fast now in this division and his size plus age goes against him. I think sometimes a player should to be cut some slack because of what he's done for us during there stint here. If they're past there best or not the player they were fair enough but i think to be over critical and calling them allsorts is very harsh and not the way to treat a good servent to our club.

On the subject of criticism

I see Rowetts management style and capabilities were being questioned on Saturday plus a few words of advice too for the bloke that's managed 4? clubs now. Why didn't he do this,,,,,,,,,,,,, why didn't he do that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Who the fuck cares? He's gone. It makes you wonder why are these experts are not managing football clubs when they have all the answers and words of advice for blokes that actuallly are managing clubs.

We all have opinions. There's few on here that really know there stuff and offer opinions but they don't make demands or have words of advice for the pro manager. I hope i don't make him blush but i could listen to Norwich Mark all day when he talks tactics and comments on passages of play etc. You think to yourself yeah he must have played a bit at a decent level. He's not the only one but he stands out for me. I also find myself nodding in agreement with Purley quite often. He gets frustrated but again and like Mark there is no taking apart or character assassination of the manager. Then you get the other end of the spectrum with the know it all loon that works on hindsight, crazy theories with a dash of paranoia chucked in because his instructions and outlandish expectations are not being carried out or delivered.

Don't these people put a foot wrong at work or make mistakes?

Just fuck off and when you get there fuck off some more.

Rant ends

Personally I really like Murray. I remember when we last played Palace in the cup and he couldn’t play as his partner was having a baby. Their right winger had a field day - almost beating us on his own. The general opinion then was how much we missed Murray. I agree - think we would have won if he’d been playing. He’s not a left back, but not helped by the almost total lack of support he gets!

Personally I really like Murray. I remember when we last played Palace in the cup and he couldn’t play as his partner was having a baby. Their right winger had a field day - almost beating us on his own. The general opinion then was how much we missed Murray. I agree - think we would have won if he’d been playing. He’s not a left back, but not helped by the almost total lack of support he gets!
Yes I said before Murray would have sorted Olise that day

I am on and off critical, he’s a dilemma, seems to be off the pace or MOM material. Look at last Saturday generally good, passed it well, got right to his man , but then in that ten minute period when we were under pressure, he leaves Longman out to deal with two men and retreats to the 6yard line. Agreed that he should have had a stint at CB, but for time being he’s first choice LB, ahead of injured Bryan, and young Malaki. olises goal came with his cutting inside, the centre mids should have covered that.

I agree with the OP....
He's a proper player as far as I'm concerned. He has plenty of good days and does have some bad days, but you can't fault his commitment to the team and 'Wall in general. Even when played in a position he doesn't favour, he really does just gets on with it. We need him to stay for a while, he's more use than a couple I can think of.

I echo your sentiment. Played in arguably the worst position in the team. Whoever wants to play against a right winger especially a fast nippy 2 footer one. The man has never whinged about having to play there. Could easily say I ain’t playing there I’ll get roasted but no he plays for the Love of the badge. Sort of player every team needs and he probably knows that Bryan will dislodge him in time. A committed, non shirking, non cheating tough as old boots centre half. Who gets a goal or 2. Would have been nice to give a fair assessment of him after playing in his correct position. Personally I love him.
I’m sure most wingers are taller than 2ft mate. 😉

I think Murray is very similar in type of player and popularity as Dunney was. Both always gave everything in their tank, never shirked a challenge and would willingly spill their own blood for the cause. The criticism that they both came in for is due to their slight lack of pace and silky skills when it came to facing a higher level of opponent, which to be fair at the point in their career which they are at/were at they can't change dramatically.
I appreciate both players massively and would much rather have them in the side than someone who might have a little more skill or pace but not the same commitment to the cause.

Good post. He's been a good servant to us and regardless of his short comings he always gives his all. He often comes under fire at a time when the whole team is struggling. It's true that you need to be extra fast now in this division and his size plus age goes against him. I think sometimes a player should to be cut some slack because of what he's done for us during there stint here. If they're past there best or not the player they were fair enough but i think to be over critical and calling them allsorts is very harsh and not the way to treat a good servent to our club.

On the subject of criticism

I see Rowetts management style and capabilities were being questioned on Saturday plus a few words of advice too for the bloke that's managed 4? clubs now. Why didn't he do this,,,,,,,,,,,,, why didn't he do that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Who the fuck cares? He's gone. It makes you wonder why are these experts are not managing football clubs when they have all the answers and words of advice for blokes that actuallly are managing clubs.

We all have opinions. There's few on here that really know there stuff and offer opinions but they don't make demands or have words of advice for the pro manager. I hope i don't make him blush but i could listen to Norwich Mark all day when he talks tactics and comments on passages of play etc. You think to yourself yeah he must have played a bit at a decent level. He's not the only one but he stands out for me. I also find myself nodding in agreement with Purley quite often. He gets frustrated but again and like Mark there is no taking apart or character assassination of the manager. Then you get the other end of the spectrum with the know it all loon that works on hindsight, crazy theories with a dash of paranoia chucked in because his instructions and outlandish expectations are not being carried out or delivered.

Don't these people put a foot wrong at work or make mistakes?

Just fuck off and when you get there fuck off some more.

Rant ends
“Just f££k off and when you get there f££k off some more “…….. 😂😂😂😂😂😂
Just love that line and in my opinion it applies to quite a few on here.
I was going to put up a request as to how the know it all’s on here got on when they had the job interview after GR left the club.
I mean they must have gone for the job surely ….

I feel he has dropped a level, but would never question his commitment. He’ll go down as a proper Millwall player and be fondly remembered by all.

He was never blessed with pace but what little he did have seems to have faded. Maybe he is a scapegoat in times like this but I’d also argue the performance levels of senior players such as McNamara, Cooper, Bradshaw, Flemming have left a lot to be desired too.

Sorry & I blame the manager(s) who pick s a donkey to mark a stallion, getting roasted every game now ,cannot fault his commitment but that don't stop the fast pacy wingers ,great in his player of the season but now his from as fallen, but he is not alone ,Fleming at the moment is a complete waste of space but gets picked " just in case" he does something but it's more like nothing and he cannot say his playing out of position ....hopefully come the next window we will be able to.strengthen the squad in the areas we are lacking

Good player who needs to play as center back. Left sided wing back, who thought thats going to work?

Two good feet, pretty comfortable on the ball, not bad in the air, as quick as Cooper and a good football brain. If Bryan was fit and at LB, I’d play him LCD in place of Cooper 👍
I have always said that Murray was the most comfortable central defender with the ball at the club. He has performed admiralty out of his natural position, but like all of us, time has caught up with him and the loss of 1/2 or even a yard, against these speedy wingers must be daunting.