Man utd '74

E4CBL

This is them in '74/Cardiff. Got a great old fella that comes to local matches with us and has been all over the world with England.
They went off at Orient the week before this he said.
What was their turn out like at ours that year?....
1000010825.jpg

Basically a no show. I was a Cockney Red then (14 years old) and I did go but the main lot from Manchester never arrived. Yes it was said the special was smashed up and taken out of service. Also told some Peckham CRs were recognised and done. One possible reason for the very low turn out was United getting smashed by wall at Liverpool St first game of season when they were playing Orient. Massive wall mob in the ground out for United. So much so that at school next day they were saying Chelsea and vermin there too but that's bollocks. When United got a corner a few applauded and that was it. The Halfwayline moved like a tidal wave and next thing we were up against massive numbers. I admit I legged it up a floodlight. Wall made a very good show in Manchester as I know from my mate Cali (I wasn't there, he was) something United always denied. BW and co went up in a furniture van. Other Wall were on a train with the CRs who got locked into the front carriages on the way back for their own safety. One Wall at OT held United off at Piccadilly with a big blade when he was circled.

Cheers CR. Amazing, when you hear how they/you swamped places.
You'll probably know my mate.
Christ, does he have some stories. Spent a while at Her Majesty's pleasure in Durham.

Did flood places all the time but good when we didn't like Brizzle when we were banned. But far from invincible if a very good core mob. Wonder who your mate is.
Cheers CR. Amazing, when you hear how they/you swamped places.
You'll probably know my mate.
Christ, does he have some stories. Spent a while at Her Majesty's pleasure in Durham

I remember them coming to Palace in the seventies but they were all dressed in black Crombie’s with red ties in the top pocket, streaming out of Norwood Junction like an army of ants. I suppose fashion was changing quickly in those days

Basically a no show. I was a Cockney Red then (14 years old) and I did go but the main lot from Manchester never arrived. Yes it was said the special was smashed up and taken out of service. Also told some Peckham CRs were recognised and done. One possible reason for the very low turn out was United getting smashed by wall at Liverpool St first game of season when they were playing Orient. Massive wall mob in the ground out for United. So much so that at school next day they were saying Chelsea and vermin there too but that's bollocks. When United got a corner a few applauded and that was it. The Halfwayline moved like a tidal wave and next thing we were up against massive numbers. I admit I legged it up a floodlight. Wall made a very good show in Manchester as I know from my mate Cali (I wasn't there, he was) something United always denied. BW and co went up in a furniture van. Other Wall were on a train with the CRs who got locked into the front carriages on the way back for their own safety. One Wall at OT held United off at Piccadilly with a big blade when he was circled.
Watched the highlights of that Orient game last week on You Tube , a good watch actually

Great spot!!!!!

I'd love to know the true story about this game too and their non-show.
Went with a mate who was a staunch Man U supporter, took him to the Cold Blow Lane end as an experience for him was working 100 miles away that night, we went by car.
Warned him to keep sthum and that if Man Utd turned up they would last minutes.before better He would'nt have it, spouting Cockney reds blah blah. Never mind about them same goes.
He could'nt believe the so well supported outfit of Man U, were not showing at the Den that night.