Kevin Nugent as 1st Team manager next season?

Millwalljohn

Not sure if this subject has come up before? (Apologies if so, but I haven't seen one)
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are if we made Kevin Nugent 1st Team manager next season? He seems to have got the U23 team fired up and focused and having such a young squad, there is a chance for them to get going over the next few seasons.

Do you think the U23 team would be prepared for the Championship or is it too much at this stage? Or, is KN just not ready for management at this level (or is he happy where he is)?

Thoughts?

We should promote from within the club and keep it in House as well as reward success, if we could roll out successful managers as well as players it would make us an attractive club for talented individuals to come to and guarantee our future.

All 1st team managers eventually leave clubs while development managers can stay for an eternity (e.g. Scott Fitzgerald) providing a stability and vital constant supply of talent that feeds the 1st team.

There’s no guarantee an excellent youth team manager will make the step up and become a good 1st team manager (e.g. Joe Edwards). Managing enthusiastic youngsters, desperate to become professional footballers, is a totally different proposition to managing established players.

I’m not saying Nugent wouldn’t be successful, I’m just wondering if it’s worth the risk losing someone currently doing such a fabulous job for the club 🤔

No. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
There is no comparison between the 2 jobs.
He can work below the radar with no great media spotlight on him or his players.
Whilst it is great for the youngsters to win their matches, that is not their number one priority.
Leave him where he is, doing what he does best.

Neil has an 18 month contract. If we stay up he will see that out. I would not be suprised if he has an option to extend if he and the club are happy.

If he has the team are working as hard as they did against Leicester, those are the games I want to see. I dont need 650 passes a game.

Remember when things started to go pear shape last time he did the right thing. Unlike some managers we had who hung around like a bad smell... Hollow head for one.

Last edited:
Neil has a 18 month contract. If we stay up he will see that out. I would not be suprised if he has an option to extend if he and the club are happy.

If he has the team are working as hard as they did against Leicester, those are the games I want to see. I dont need 650 passes a game.

Remember when things started to go pear shape last time he did the right thing. Unlike some managers we had who hung around like a bad smell... Hollow head for one.
Not only did Neil do the right thing he also recommended Rowett to be our next Manager, so still thinking of the club even after being s**t on by some of our so called fans.

I had my doubts about Harris as a long term manager after the Huddersfield game, but the tactical changes, substitutions and motivation he gave to the team against Leicester has made me think he has learnt from his mistakes and will be our best option for next season.

Nugent is doing a cracking job at the club and things should be left as they are.

Neil will be in charge for 18 months. He will oversee the rebuild and lay down, amongst a new squad of players what playing for our club means.
He spoke yesterday about then bringing in a coach/ manager who will follow on from his work. Come on down Stevie boy at that point, I would guess.

All 1st team managers eventually leave clubs while development managers can stay for an eternity (e.g. Scott Fitzgerald) providing a stability and vital constant supply of talent that feeds the 1st team.

There’s no guarantee an excellent youth team manager will make the step up and become a good 1st team manager (e.g. Joe Edwards). Managing enthusiastic youngsters, desperate to become professional footballers, is a totally different proposition to managing established players.

I’m not saying Nugent wouldn’t be successful, I’m just wondering if it’s worth the risk losing someone currently doing such a fabulous job for the club 🤔
Maybe give him a year working with Harris.