Just Back v Watford (Purley Version)

Exactly Oz - he fumbled and not got the first time this season. Mind you; balance that with terrific reflex saves to prevent a goal like yesterday.
absolutely. I have no idea how it wasnt 2-1 (must have been around 35-40mins). Think he also made a brilliant save in the 2nd half - a shot from distance.

He can come up with big saves every game, the issue is, he is coming up with 1 or 2 massive errors every game at the moment which are leading to conceding goals. We dont score 3/4 goals a game so we cant afford to be gifting a goal a game and expect to win many of them

BNC was either lazy or knackered for their equaliser and left Danny trying to deal with 2 on 1. :shake:
those 2 constantly looked disjointed with one another on the right side when defending. They targeted that side all game and often their wide players were given too much space to run with the ball.

Billy: Why he came on instead of Campbell is totally beyond me. Touched the ball circa 6 times, got caught in possession 4 times, one of which was the start of the buildup to their equaliser. Billy is not a Championship player and I can see him going the same way as Thommo😞
Perhaps because Campbell wasnt even on the bench?

Re Wes’s goal:
Did anyone notice two blatant shirt pulls on our two players (haven’t watched it back yet but one must be Cooper) who were in front of Wes when the cross came over? Absolute blatant penalties but we wouldn’t have got them if Wes had missed
Yes I saw that and at least 3 we did. Shirt pulling and wrapping arms round players are 2 things that need stopping. Both are becomming acepted by refs.

Completely disagree with you about Billy but that's football all about opinions.
What do you disagree with, that he got caught in possession 4 out of the 6 times he touched the ball (the last being the start to the build up to their equaliser) or/and that he’s not a Championship player?

absolutely. I have no idea how it wasnt 2-1 (must have been around 35-40mins). Think he also made a brilliant save in the 2nd half - a shot from distance.

He can come up with big saves every game, the issue is, he is coming up with 1 or 2 massive errors every game at the moment which are leading to conceding goals. We dont score 3/4 goals a game so we cant afford to be gifting a goal a game and expect to win many of them

Good goal keeping posture, had his hands out and shaped to anticipate a shot from close range, so when it came, he didn't have to move much at all to get his hand to it.

What do you disagree with, that he got caught in possession 4 out of the 6 times he touched the ball (the last being the start to the build up to their equaliser) or/and that he’s not a Championship player?
The championship player bit, I know through conversations with his Family that he feels shackled in the way he's being asked to play, I was there yesterday and he might have lost the ball but it would be harsh to blame him for the player having a free header in our box.

Thanks Jim for your take on the game. Always good to read somebody else’s thoughts. The atmosphere in the away end was unreal. It is a long time since I have been amongst such passionate Millwall support. In the the second half we almost inhaled collectively to suck the ball into the net. And when Wes powered the ball home it went absolutely nuts. The stewards in front of me raised their hands to dissuade any nutters not to try and get on the pitch but anyone who had those thoughts would not have been deterred. It was unreal!
We needed that atmosphere, felt old skool at times and reminded me of better days. Had been feeling disillusioned with wall for a while with the negative football and shocking home atmospheres. If the new manager can harness the crowd at home and get us playing like that 20 minute spell in the second half we’d be hard to cope with.

The championship player bit, I know through conversations with his Family that he feels shackled in the way he's being asked to play, I was there yesterday and he might have lost the ball but it would be harsh to blame him for the player having a free header in our box.
Some, including me and Norwich, laid the blame for the equaliser with BNC (for not covering the 1-2) and Cooper (for losing his man) but having seen the goal feel that Billy contribution was greater than I originally thought.

Let me explain. Billy was brought on to replace Casper (i.e. right central midfield); he had the ball circa 5 yards from the left touch line and 5 yards into our half (i.e. NOT RCM). This should not have been a problem if he had played the simplest (and safest) pass to Longman (who was unmarked to his left) but no, he tried a step drag back, lost possession which, in effect, took both him and Longman out of the game.

Watford swung the ball to the right, BNC picks up the player Billy should be marking that exposed Danny to the 1-2 (that he tried valiantly to defend but failed) and cross that was headed home.

The above has nothing to done with Billy being shackled but everything to do with him not having the quickness of thought and feet to play at Championship level 🤷‍♂️

With regards to him being shackled, I can think of 2 instances in the Blackburn game when he got it badly wrong. The first was when we had a corner that was cleared towards the left touchline. He could have shepherded the ball out for a throw or play it down the line, but instead tried to lay it back to Bryan who had no chance leading to them breaking away and having a couple of guilt edge chances that they cocked up. The second was when we were chasing the game, he received the ball, had no opponent within 20 yards of him and a free run forward. Again he chose the wrong option and laid it wide to Wes (I think) and an excellent opportunity was lost.

I appreciate I’m a huge critic of Billy, but I haven’t always been. I remember the first time I saw him away at Charlton when he played right back. I did a Just Back that game and was very complimentary to him (rating him significantly better than Romeo) but he hasn’t come on the way I hoped/expected.

Perhaps ultimately he could develop into a decent RB but at present I don’t see him becoming an effective Championship central midfielder and certainly not an attacking one 🤷‍♂️

I genuinely hope I’m proved wrong. Only time will tell!

Some, including me and Norwich, laid the blame for the equaliser with BNC (for not covering the 1-2) and Cooper (for losing his man) but having seen the goal feel that Billy contribution was greater than I originally thought.

Let me explain. Billy was brought on to replace Casper (i.e. right central midfield); he had the ball circa 5 yards from the left touch line and 5 yards into our half (i.e. NOT RCM). This should not have been a problem if he had played the simplest (and safest) pass to Longman (who was unmarked to his left) but no, he tried a step drag back, lost possession which, in effect, took both him and Longman out of the game.

Watford swung the ball to the right, BNC picks up the player Billy should be marking that exposed Danny to the 1-2 (that he tried valiantly to defend but failed) and cross that was headed home.

The above has nothing to done with Billy being shackled but everything to do with him not having the quickness of thought and feet to play at Championship level 🤷‍♂️

With regards to him being shackled, I can think of 2 instances in the Blackburn game when he got it badly wrong. The first was when we had a corner that was cleared towards the left touchline. He could have shepherded the ball out for a throw or play it down the line, but instead tried to lay it back to Bryan who had no chance leading to them breaking away and having a couple of guilt edge chances that they cocked up. The second was when we were chasing the game, he received the ball, had no opponent within 20 yards of him and a free run forward. Again he chose the wrong option and laid it wide to Wes (I think) and an excellent opportunity was lost.

I appreciate I’m a huge critic of Billy, but I haven’t always been. I remember the first time I saw him away at Charlton when he played right back. I did a Just Back that game and was very complimentary to him (rating him significantly better than Romeo) but he hasn’t come on the way I hoped/expected.

Perhaps ultimately he could develop into a decent RB but at present I don’t see him becoming an effective Championship central midfielder and certainly not an attacking one 🤷‍♂️

I genuinely hope I’m proved wrong. Only time will tell!
I think your watching him eager to criticise to be honest.

I think there are a good few not being allowed to play their natural games , hopefully the new geezer ,whoever he may be, will allow the players to express themselves ,and play in the right positions. Because at the moment and with GR they haven't been, we are a much better team than our performances this season suggest.
IMHO

I think you’re watching him eager to criticise to be honest.
Me thinks you are too eager to criticise me because I’ve a different view to you😉

I try to judge events and players on merit as things happen, not to justify an opinion I’d expressed previously, but if you think otherwise it’s unlikely to change 🤷‍♂️

Exactly Oz - he fumbled and not got the first time this season. Mind you; balance that with terrific reflex saves to prevent a goal like yesterday.
Yes he stopped It but by luck , he didn’t move,the ball hit his hand. Also knocked him over

I get a feeling you’re not a fan of Bart. 😉
In fairness to Norwich, it’s not that long ago we were all fans of Bart, his performances this season have been littered with mistakes and, speaking from a personal perspective, he has me of edge much of the time 🤷‍♂️

Me thinks you are too eager to criticise me because I’ve a different view to you😉

I try to judge events and players on merit as things happen, not to justify an opinion I’d expressed previously, but if you think otherwise it’s unlikely to change 🤷‍♂️
Your perfectly entitled to your opinion.

The “free header” was because Coops was ball watching and not marking his man