Just Back v Watford (Purley Version)

Me thinks you are too eager to criticise me because I’ve a different view to you😉

I try to judge events and players on merit as things happen, not to justify an opinion I’d expressed previously, but if you think otherwise it’s unlikely to change 🤷‍♂️
Mitchell is still young enough to improve and with a new manager coming in we might see him asked to play a bit differently, don't give up on him yet.

We needed that atmosphere, felt old skool at times and reminded me of better days. Had been feeling disillusioned with wall for a while with the negative football and shocking home atmospheres. If the new manager can harness the crowd at home and get us playing like that 20 minute spell in the second half we’d be hard to cope with.
The good thing about was that during the 2nd half we got behind them when we weren't playing well, after Norwich I thought we might of lost that for good.
I don't think it was a coincidence that our best spell of the game was after and during a bit of decent support.

Some, including me and Norwich, laid the blame for the equaliser with BNC (for not covering the 1-2) and Cooper (for losing his man) but having seen the goal feel that Billy contribution was greater than I originally thought.

Let me explain. Billy was brought on to replace Casper (i.e. right central midfield); he had the ball circa 5 yards from the left touch line and 5 yards into our half (i.e. NOT RCM). This should not have been a problem if he had played the simplest (and safest) pass to Longman (who was unmarked to his left) but no, he tried a step drag back, lost possession which, in effect, took both him and Longman out of the game.

Watford swung the ball to the right, BNC picks up the player Billy should be marking that exposed Danny to the 1-2 (that he tried valiantly to defend but failed) and cross that was headed home.

This might be a simple case of memory failure. The passage of play you have described happened minutes before the goal, and lead to a free kick that came to nothing. I have just checked this on the full match replay. The goal came from the next passage of play after we had cleared our lines and the ball was put back into the opposition half.

I'm of the opinion that Mitchell has over 100 games in the championship under his belt has has played some crackers. He is human and has had a dip in form. He needs backing not slating. My opinion, yours is different.

This might be a simple case of memory failure. The passage of play you have described happened minutes before the goal, and lead to a free kick that came to nothing. I have just checked this on the full match replay. The goal came from the next passage of play after we had cleared our lines and the ball was put back into the opposition half.

I'm of the opinion that Mitchell has over 100 games in the championship under his belt has has played some crackers. He is human and has had a dip in form. He needs backing not slating. My opinion, yours is different.
Yes I obviously got that wrong 🤦‍♂️

When our players are on the pitch I fully back all of them, but when writing a report I try to be objective. So if in my opinion someone hasn’t played well, that’s what I state..

Incidentally, I looked at the buildup to their equaliser to double-check and spotted that Billy was marking, then left, the player who overlapped and crossed for the goal🤷‍♂️

He probably left the overlapping player because BNC was there and in a better position to cover but did nothing, we also do not know if midfield / forward players are instructed not to track that far back or else they will all end up in each others way.

He probably left the overlapping player because BNC was there and in a better position to cover but did nothing, we also do not know if midfield / forward players are instructed not to track that far back or else they will all end up in each others way.
BNC was marking the player the overlapper played the initial 1-2 with.

At the start of the move Billy was marking the player who crossed, at the end he wasn't marking anyone🤷‍♂️

As an aside, that goal was created by two 1-2s that we didn't defend. It's a recurring problem and I hate to think what might happen when tippy tappy Southampton are at The Den :slap:

Members online