Just Back v The Tractor Boys at the Summerfield

silverlion

Staff member
We tried hard but were well beaten by a decent side.

We began well and moved the ball quite well. We were good for two three or even four passes but the fifth one let us down. Sadly, Bradshaw had one of those games when he wasn’t quite there, the ball didn’t stick and we struggled to make an impact upfront. There was a lot of effort but not a lot of quality or control. They soon realised that we were there for the taking and they pushed the ball around us with pace and accuracy and we simply had no answer. We covered one angle, covered another but they found a third and started to exploit the spaces. With five on the clock they were one up. A long cross from the right was headed back at the far post and there was Chaplin to drive it home. Bart stood no chance. We tried to get back into it and pushed the ball around well but they were crisp in the tackle and back into exploiting the spaces. After twelve we were two down. A good move into our box and Luongo drilled. It home from 12 yards. They were strolling but we were chasing shadows. We were trying really hard but struggling to get a foothold in the game. Emakhu seems lost on the right and Bradshaw still couldnt get the ball to stick. As hard as we tried we couldn’t make headway. There was one half decent shot from Longman cutting in from the left and another feeble effort from the back of Bradshaw’s right heel. Then they scored. Another from a decent cross from the left. Their attacker guided into the corner and Bart was rooted to the spot. Half time was a welcome relief having got a pasting in the first 45.Joe had his work cut out with his half time teamtalk.

Honeyman came on to replace an ineffective Emakhu and we had a bit more bite about us on the right. They were not so expansive in the second half and we started to come back into it a little. Billy and Raab replaced . Bradshaw and Casper and we had more of the ball. They made a whole host of changes which gave us a little more space in the middle. Leonard replaced Flem and over to RB giving BNC an opportunity in midfield. A cream crackered Sav was replaced by Campbell and then we scored. A decent cross from the left from Longman was turned in by Rab. It was not an easy effort but he took it well. Optimists were hoping for a comeback but we almost conceded twice near the death but for two great saves from Bart. Despite four added minutes there was no comeback.

Bart saved us on two or three occasions . BNC had some moments but still tried to go through people instead of going around them. Solid games from Wes, Murray and Hutch who shaded MOM with some driving play. Casper did not have his best game but Sav tried hard. Emakhu was non existent and Flem had one or two moments but nothing more. Bradshaw ran hard but posed no threat.Honeyman added energy and bite to the right, Billy played OK but Rab made a difference. Leonard looked the part at RB but Campbell hardly broke sweat. A sharp learning curve for Joe which may give him a sleepless night or two but he will have learned a lot from seeing how Ipswich play.

Thanks for your views Silver,but I've just sent a message to Samsung, because my TV must have been showing a different match!!!!

Wallace and Hutch were like pub players, Saville was completely anonymous, Flemming hardly touched the ball the whole game!
Silver is always generous so I think he wears blinkers to shut out what he doesn’t like to see.

Cheers for the report Silver but watching that tonight just shows after seven years at this level other clubs are moving ahead and we are being left behind.That Ipswich team had players bought for reasonable fees from the likes of Salford Accrington Stanley Peterborough and Portsmouth plus a sprinkling of youngsters not wanted at premier league clubs. To many of our players look done at this level but as a club we never seem to know when to move players on or when to cash in on a player Jed then Cooper and now Fleming spring to mind.Think Edwards has a big job in turning this around January seems a long way off at the moment

Thanks for your views Silver,but I've just sent a message to Samsung, because my TV must have been showing a different match!!!!

Wallace and Hutch were like pub players, Saville was completely anonymous, Flemming hardly touched the ball the whole game!

You basically just summed up my thread I just posted. I’m glad I’m not the only one. Jesus Wept

Wallace ,Fleming do not merit a starting position and without a decent partner Bradshaw is chasing shadows , the passing game is beyond most of our players as witnessed tonight , even short 5-10 balls seem too difficult for most of them and the complete lack of movement by players without the ball makes the game even harder....where have the real millwall team gone ? , our defence was our backbone now it's non existence out there

Wallace!!! Bloke wouldn’t get in the Dog & Duck starting 11 atm, he’s finished and had another shocker tonight.

Solid game from Wes?
He gave the all away twice in the opening minutes, one of which led to the first goal

The 40 minutes getting out the car park was more enjoyable than the 90 minutes of football.
An almost identical game to the Norwich away but we'll be watching again one way or another on Saturday.

I have posted my thoughts on the Saturday game on Monday. Unfortunately nothing, nothing has changed either in performance or attitude so I will just repost it again: After watching this team for the last 4 months I have a very clear picture that this group of players are average on a very, very good day, shit and not of the Championship standard all the rest of time. They are a few exceptions : De Norre, Fleming (when he can be asked, which is never this season )Harding and BNC and Bart who is are no 1 goalie without a shadow of a doubt. I don't count BNC as he is not a Millwall player, but a loanie. Esse and Emakhu I have not seen enough off, but all this talk about what incredible talent they both are has been just that so far , talk. The players just don't have enough balls and desire to play for Mill wall at home. Sold out den 4 times this season, all the games have been shit and player have caved in under the pressure. We ill be lucky to stay up this season and I think Joe E has realised he has just drank from a poisoned chalice.

That is a terrible indictment to hang on a professional footballer but unfortunately you are absolutely correct.
Am I being over cynical here but, if you play as a pro footballer surely you shouldn’t even think about the basics. Does anyone get in their car a wonder er what gear shall I start in?. Shall I press the clutch in when I change gear. NO it’s natural and not even thought about. If you’ve been playing from day 8 yrs old and you are now 18 plus surely the easiest things in football should be done pretty much perfectly. Passing the ball between 5 and 20 yards, to a teammates feet not 2 yards either side, unless he’s moving forward. Cushion a pass to kill it, or to move it forward to allow you to press forward. MOVE into space ie between 2 opponents to receive an easy pass. The cherry on the top is, when shooting place your standing leg in line with the ball with your kicking knee over the ball, obviously aiming between 2 white sticks that are miles apart, well 8 yards. Good luck Joe, I believe you started coaching 5-6 yr olds at Chelsea. Well you know what?. Some of our lot have the same footballing technique as them kids. I assume Joe is weighing it all up in his head, wether to try and change a leopards spots, or to get in touch with some of those kids he taught. I for one am looking forward to the transformation with big interest. Someone said Joe watched one of our earlier season games, I wonder if he said to himself then “ what a challenge it would be to coach this lot” . well here it is.

Wallace MOM??

Watch the goals back mate. He was arguably at fault for all 3.

I’ve lost my head reading this I cannot lie 🤣🤣
The way I read Silver’s comment was that Hutch was MOM 🤷‍♂️ ( which incidentally I disagree with).

Clearly Murray is not your favourite but please try to be objective when assessing him. The first was down to Longman getting roasted down our left, Ipswich loading our far right post (which took out Murray out of the equation) and neither Saville nor De Norre defending the knock back.

Second came from the left again, albeit Murray made an earlier lung to try and intercept on the edge of the box. Again, the scorer was given space central edge of the box to fire home 🤷‍♂️

Third was another cross, this time from the right headed home from left of centre (an area I assume Hutch should have been defending). If Murray was LB last night it’s not his primary job to be defending headers in the centre of the box 🤷‍♂️

The only good moves involved Longman, his shot and his pass to Nisbet to score. He did also attempt a suicide pass that led to their 3rd goal!

Bart did keep the score down as he did Saturday, I did notice him winching in pain when he kicks the ball long.
I don't think Bart has a problem when kicking the ball. He was probably winching in pain at the prospect of having to go in goal for us again on Saturday😁