Just Back v the Taffs

silverlion

Staff member
A decent performance and a comfortable win in the end.

We started OK and Longman looked lively on the right but Esse did not make as good a start I would have hoped. Leonard looked solid and Billy and Sav ran their hearts out in the middle. They had more of the ball than I would have liked but they never really posed a threat. It didn’t take long before we took the lead. A good ball up the Flem was nodded on into space which Oba quickly ran into. He still had a bit to do but he drilled it near post and the keeper was a bit caught out as it found the back of the net. We deserved it as we looked more of a threat than they did.
We took our foot off the gas a little and they pushed forward we and had more possession than I would have liked. We seemed to be holding them at bay but they did get back into it. Sav made a robust challenge on the right. And the ref gave a free kick which didn’t look to be the obvious decision. They swung it over to the far post and their lanky striker just rose higher and nodded it low and beyond Shark for 1-1. We tried really hard to get back into it and if the ref had gone to Specsavers we would have had a penalty. Oba got clattered on the right and he played on but the cross into the box resulted in the most blatant double handed push in the back of Flem. He waved our claims away and it really did seem a bit unfair. However in added time we got our noses in front. A corner was cleared to Esse who clipped in a cross from the right, Longman headed it on and there was Juicy Jake on the far post to smash it into the roof of the net for 2-1. Justice was done.

NH would have been reasonably pleased with our first half showing but he took Esse off and replaced him with Watmore for the second half. We played quite well in spells but they tried very hard to get back into it. They had a lot of possession but little threat. They made copious subs to try and pep up their attack but we held them at bay. We took off Oba for Tom and looked more of a threat. Before he went off he did have a good shot from the edge of the box which the keeper saved well. Near the end Longman got crocked and BNC came on the add energy and legs on the right. He made a difference. It was down to him that we got our third. He chased hard to win the ball on the right, made a decent cross and there was Watmore to knock in the third. The whole Den breathed a collective sigh of relief. We saw out the added five minutes and Rockin All Over the World rang out loud and proud .
Shark had little to do but did make a couple of regulation decent saves. Leonard was a s solid as ever and so was Cooper, who took his goal well. Tango had a very good game and snuffed out their dangers when they pressed. Danny was solid and feisty.
Sav ran hard and played well but MOM goes to Billy for a tireless and committed performance where he never gave an inch. Esse faded in the first half but Watmore had a decent second half and took his goal well Flem had some good moments and Oba worked hard and took his goal really well. Casper came on at the end but hardly broke sweat.
Make no mistake, this was no classic but we did when we had to do and did it well. Three goals and now fifty points which should be enough. Those below us will need to hit promotion form to catch us and NH should be rightly proud of virtually guaranteeing our Championship status. He had a smile from ear to ear at the end. Atmosphere was good and everybody had a smile on their face and a spring in their step when they left the Den. The truth is with Joe Edwards in charge we would have been dead a buried by now but with NH we will have another season in the Champoinship. The Mighty Lions!

It was a must win home game and we did just that , 3 well taken goals and 1 bit of poor keeping , we never really looked like losing but like we do made heavy weather of the game, onwards to Sunderland and another big game

How did esse play today?
Esse has the potential to become a quality player but needs to learn his craft and gain experience. If that’s to happen in the Championship it has to be a gradual process starting with him being used as a substitute with circa 30 minutes left, increasing game time until he’s in the starting lineup.

Today he touched the ball 6 times in the first 5 minutes and chose the wrong option or poorly executed a play every time. His tracking down was also poor. On the plus side his clipped cross from the right lead to Cooper’s goal but it was the correct decision to hook him off at half-time 👍

I would have started with BNC, Watmore or De Norre and brought Esse on at some stage in the 2nd half.

He’ll come good we just to be patient.

Last edited:
I really like what Longman is doing. Is diligent in his defensive work and really gets stuck in going forward. Our midfield were excellent today and Obi took his goal well but for me he was motm. I wouldn't argue against anyone else as they were all excellent.

I forget to add that I met BP and his son James before the game. Always a pleasure
I should also have said that today was my last game this season. I am off tomorrow to the other side of the pond for two weeks so won’t make the Plymouth game so the Just Back could be open for somebody else. I shall keep abreast of all that is going on team wise. COYL.

Shades of Jed Wallace from Longman, second half really took it to them. Esse was fine, just needs to play and keep it simple, quick feet, I take it he’s not a right winger really, but in a dog fight I suppose Billy, Saville and De Norre hard to discount in the middle, if Fleming goes , he’s the number 10?
there was one moment when he broke into the box, found space and he did not rush. like he was making the space his own. hard to explain. this is gold dust. players who through their feet or their positionning suddenly have loads of space and there fore do no rush and can eitehr pick a shot or assist.

so many of our players are just full of CHARGE!!!!!! which is totally understandable given their level of ability. but to really push on we need something more. i mean it's obvious really and you all dont need telling

Erol Bulut: "Like day and night, the first half and second half. The first half it was clear the better team was Cardif.

Some people just cant except reality. You were not the better team in either half. As a result you lost.

""It's enough. All the last few weeks I am reading these things, getting these messages. Until now I never spoke about these things. But enough is enough."

Sounds like a manager who will be leaving soon.

To be honest, i thought the first half was cagey, but second half we were superb, totally in control. I'm not always Watmore's biggest fan, but he ran his bollocks off second half and deserved his goal. For me Tango was MOM, he was outstanding. Oba's best game too and I reckon us safe now

I forget to add that I met BP and his son James before the game. Always a pleasure
I should also have said that today was my last game this season. I am off tomorrow to the other side of the pond for two weeks so won’t make the Plymouth game so the Just Back could be open for somebody else. I shall keep abreast of all that is going on team wise. COYL.
Thanks for the reports this season. Enjoy your break.

Maybe watching it on the box gives a different view but I thought Esse worked hard with his defensive duties today and snuffed out their full back who loves to bomb on. He also took a pretty big whack towards the end of the half. I also thought that Watmore coming on caused them all sorts of problems as he was very narrow on the left at times, but was then running behind the right back and center half which created space for Flem and Oba as well.

rd as was Maybe watching it on the box gives a different view but I thought Esse worked hard with his defensive duties today and snuffed out their full back who loves to bomb on. He also took a pretty big whack towards the end of the half. I also thought that Watmore coming on caused them all sorts of problems as he was very narrow on the left at times, but was then running behind the right back and center half which created space for Flem and Oba as well.
defensivly esse was superb tracking back, think this may have restricted his movement forward as he must have been told to help cover the backline as well

when he can gel the two diciplines he will be a top player