Just Back v the Saints

silverlion

Staff member
A hard working and spirited performance and a narrow defeat at the death.

We started well with plenty of chasing and closing down and they really didn’t get into any sort of rhythm until there was five minutes on the clock. Under Russell Martin they are usually a free flowing passing team but in the first half they were restricted to a couple of long shots which Bart dealt with comfortably. We looked good going forward and one move involved some good passing around the middle, a good ball out to BNC and a good attack. The closest we came to a goal was from our current goal machine Harding who nodded one onto the bar. Their wingers both looked very lively. The left winger was looking a constant threat and from one move he twisted Danny inside out and then fell over at the vital moment. He also fell over dramatically and laid on the floor as if he had been shot but after the ball was kicked out he soon recovered and got dogs abuse for the rest of the half. It was all square at the break and that was a fair reflection of the play.

I really did think that we would step up our game in the second 45 but the opposite was the case. We went deeper, allowed them space wide and they tore into us. It was time for fresh legs on the hour mark so off went Honeyman and BNC and on came Emakhu and Longman. The latter gave us some energy on the left and made some good runs forward to boost the attack. Sadly it made little difference in blunting their forward movement and their 22 was the playmaker. He was always in space, found gaps in our defence and forced Bart into a decent save from distance. The big Pole was clearly suffering doing leg stretches and looking uncomfortable after taking goal kicks but he soldiered on. They looked dangerous down their right and kept finding space to hit low and threatening crosses. Cooper cleared a couple and others were hoofed away. A cream crackered Tom was replaced by Rab near the end. Eventually, into added time their pressure told. Another good move down their right looked as if it was going out. Their midfielder kept it in and their 26 scored from close in. We were crestfallen but couldn’t get back into it and they ran out narrow winners.

Bart made some decent saves and kept us in it at times but could do little about their winner at the death. Danny had a feisty and aggressive game and had to be on his toes to keep their lively winger quiet. Cooper and Wes were solid and Murray was Mr Dependable on the left. Casper played well, Honeyman was energetic, BNC had some moments and so did Flem but Sav sweated blood for ninety plus minutes and got my vote for MOM. Bradshaw ran hard but posed little threat. Longman had some moments but poor Emakhu hardly got the ball in thirty minutes. Rab hardly broke sweat in his ten minute cameo.

A disappointing but not unsurprising defeat as they pummelled us for the second 45 and we hardly created an effort. The ref did us little favours as blatant shoves and fouls went unpunished unless you had a red shirt on and then it was an obvious free kick. If AB had any aspirations to be our next boss then that all evaporated in the 92nd minute. It was clear we need a new boss with some new ideas.

Cheers Silver. Perfect summary. With Bart not being 100% fit, despite doing a great job as a stop gap, our defence really need to be preventing play better in our box.
Can't fault our boy's workrate, especially against a team full of Premiership level players.
No doubt Sav was a warrior today, and also my MoM.

Thought we gave them the game we our tactics , we all know they are a passing team out from the back but we struggled to close them down and their passing game killed us , Wednesday times they had 13 players on the pitch,Fleming for me was absent for most of the game and when he had a good shooting chance he took to many touches and lost the ball, Sav was my MoM never stopped trying to get the ball but our lack of flair or should I say skill never really troubled them and the Den is now not feared but opposing teams ,great atmosphere by both set of fans pity yet again at home we were not

I said to my youngest son that Bart was limping before the game. He went off when they were doing their warm up shooting practice.

We gave them far too much respect in my opinion. I know they have good players but we were set up like a lower non-league team against a Premier League side. No threat at all except from one corner. It was like we were asking not to be thrashed. Can't fault the players' effort, but the sooner we get a new manager the better because I hate seeing us play like that at home.

Good report - I am getting worried - the players gave it everything today but even so we looked like a non-league team away to a Prem side- in the cup.
We were miles off their quality and pace, Soton, Leeds , Leicester and the rest have spent tens of millions on fees and wages and it showed - heart, fight and spirit can only take you so far and on our budget perhaps it’s impossible to keep competing at this level season after season?
Do we accept that and the accompanying inevitable slide back into L1 - which obviously GR saw coming- or will a new manager get a tune out of the likes of Macca, Murray and Jake?
My heart says I hope so, but my head says whoever it is has got a real job on his hands !!

Thought Flem and De Norre were off the pace and Flem in particular got in some good positions only to choose the wrong option. Everyone gave everything but the manager did nothing to combat the oppositions tactics and all the substitutions were like for like.
Time to move on and give the new gaffer 100% support

If it wasn't for Bart today we would've been dead and buried way before the 90th minute. However what I cannot understand is that if his kicks are going to be as unreliable as they were today, be that because of a slight injury or just that his kicking is poor, why don't we get Cooper or anyone else who can kick the fucking thing to take the goal kicks instead?

Good report - I am getting worried - the players gave it everything today but even so we looked like a non-league team away to a Prem side- in the cup.
We were miles off their quality and pace, Soton, Leeds , Leicester and the rest have spent tens of millions on fees and wages and it showed - heart, fight and spirit can only take you so far and on our budget perhaps it’s impossible to keep competing at this level season after season?
This!
Great spirit & attitude but if someone else says this is the best squad we’ve had for years I’ll get angry myself.

Watched the highlights & noticed JB Junior taking some tablets with a cup of presumably water after the game.
Looks like he’s feeling the pressure
(hope it’s nothing worse)

As an aside, I thought the Ref was decent today. Maybe got a couple wrong but wasn’t suckered by their histrionics and could easily have sent Longman for a 2nd bookable offence near the end👏

Last edited:
Statement of the bleeding obvious from AB! Poor editing on this piece though.