Just Back v the Robins on live stream on MTV

silverlion

Staff member
An excellent disciplined performance and a smash and grab win.

The first ten minutes were fairly even but then they came into it a little. We really had to keep our shape and get our foot in when needed. They pushed and pressed but they couldn’t blow our house down. We had some good forward movement with Watmore looking lively, BNC looking forceful on the wing and Bradshaw running hard upfront. On 31 we had our first decent chance. A free kick from Leonard with a header from Cooper and Murray but sadly it came to nothing. They had other ideas and a good cross into our box gave their attacker a good header to Shark’s right which he pushed around the post. Just before the break Watmore had a good run down the left but his cross was caught by the keeper. Joe would have been the happier of the two managers as we had kept them at bay but not really threatened their goal. The half ended goalless.

No subs at half time but we picked up from where we left off. A nice pass to Tom was chested back to Flem and a decent pass to BNC which came to nothing. A minute had gone by and another good chance from a corner which came back to Leonard who hit it over. A minute later a good corner from Honeyman broke to Murray who headed it over. Change was needed and Watmore made way for Emakhu on 62. They made four attacking subs over the next twenty minutes which added drive and energy but they never really threatened. The commentator made a valid point midway through the second half that we had some good patterns of play. And he was right.
There was some ping pong in their box and Cooper was challenged but it was not worthy of a penalty. Another change for us as Rab replaced a cream crackered Tom. A decent cross from Billy was saved by the keeper. We started to look more of a threat as the game wore on and Rab was involved twice and looked sharp. Longman and Danny came on for Flem and BNC and we really pushed forward. A lovely run down the line from Longman and his cross to the near post to Rab was smothered away for a corner. From the set piece it bobbled in their box and was half cleared to Hutch. He turned and hit a sweet shot into the corner for the winner. We had two minutes to go. There was enough time for Leonard to get shoved into the advertising hoardings and a mob scene ensued. Leonard and their bloke got yellows but it just wasted time, took away their momentum and soon after the ref blew for a memorable win.
Shark made one decent save but honestly had little else to do. BNC was lively and a threat, Leonard was solid, Cooprer similar and Murray was dependable on the left. However….and by a country mile…Hutch was MOM. Solid in the tackle, never gave an in inch and scored the winner. A captain’s performance.
Billy was busy and hit a couple of decent forward passes. Honeyman was full of energy, Flem had some moments, Watmore was full of running and Tom battled hard at the front. Emakhu had some moments, Rab had a couple of threatening moments, Danny bottled it up and Longman was the epitome of an impact sub.
Make no mistake. The Joe revolution is gathering pace. After an energy high octane performance against the Canaries you could almost accept a leggy performance 48 hours later. But this was strong, disciplined showing against a team that had won four out of the last five. Three wins and a draw out of the last four games, four clean sheets, 15th with 32 points, 11 points clear of the bottom three. Watch out….we are on a roll and we have got our Millwall back!

Hutch probably mine as he scored, but if he hadn’t he could have shared it with quite a few. There was some outstanding performances out there today,bearing in mind the games we just played it was pretty special to see nobody having a mare, quite the opposite.

No doubt there will be bumps along the road but to get three wins at this time of year is very difficult indeed. Edwards seems to me to have tapped into the DNA of what Millwall is and added a bit of control and composure. We have been the better team in all three of those wins. We are also one of the few teams in the league that have made Leicester shit themselves as they head to what will probably be a league record points total.

Full credit to the players for their incredible spirit and togetherness and full credit to the manager and his staff for the way he has set us up and guided us through a tough period. There is definitely an inner steel to Edwards but an outward calmness. He kept his nerve while many - and by that I mean me - lost theirs.

Thanks for the report, Silver.
But the way the second half went, and just my view, of course. I didn't think the result was a smash and grab. I thought we thoroughly deserved the three points on merit.
We totally controlled that game both in and out of possession their manager tried to change it but could not, it would have been a travesty if we only came out of it with a point.
The best team won on the day and how sweet to pay them back for John Berylson who must have been having a nice cigar while looking down watching that game.
COYL.

A brilliant performance and win, on the back of a great game against Norwich. A great reward for all our travelling support. A brilliant team spirt, which is clear to see. Well done Joe.

Well said. Tremendous support from our fans today and I know a few who had a difficult journey there. A last minute win away from home is a great reward for those that went.

Thanks for the report, Silver.
But the way the second half went, and just my view, of course. I didn't think the result was a smash and grab. I thought we thoroughly deserved the three points on merit.
I concur, probably mixing his phrases up. How many times in the past did we sit back try to weather the storm and then bosh, a pen or deflected goal, an own goal or ping pong in the six yard box leading to a tap in results in a loss. Last 2 games not even a sniff of that. Every wall supporter worldwide tonight must be feeling just a little bit smug.