Just Back v The Canaries

silverlion

Staff member
A closely fought first half but a tired second half display led to a disappointing defeat.

We began well and pressed them back from the first whistle. Burke was looking lively down the right and Honeyman was running hard on the left. Flemming was looking as if he was up for it and it really took them a bit of time to get into their stride. They seemed very comfortable pushing the ball around at the back but they rarely seemed a threat. A free and fairly even few minutes and then we took the lead. A long ball found Flem and his intelligent nod forward found Bradshaw between their CB’s. He cleverly knocked it past the two of them, ran forward to be one on one with their keeper and knocked it past him into the back of the net. Their mob was instantly silenced and we were all going nuts. Slowly but surely they began to edge back into helped by a regular Cresswell mistake. He brought it out of defence and thought he was Frank Beckenbauer as he knocked it past one of their attackers. Another attacker picked it up and ran forward to our box when he was brought to ground by Leonard, who got a yellow for his trouble. Fortunately the wall did its’ job and Long saved comfortably. It continued fairly evenly and Burke was put in by Flem on the right but his shot just went wide. They came back into it and their equaliser was clearly a training ground routine. From a corner they packed our box but the kick was low to the edge of the goal area. Their man ran onto it and hit it low and hard and it went in. I wasn’t sure whether it came off one of ours or whether Long could have done better. Whatever, it was 1-1.

There we’re no subs at the break but they came back at us strongly. They pressed and pushed and it really did seem like a matter of time. Another slick corner move where the ball was played along the byline, cut back to a hapless Bradshaw who could do little to stop diverting the ball into his own net. They all went over the the assistant coach to congratulate him as it was obviously his training ground routine which had paid off. We huffed and puffed but couldn’t get much right. On the other hand they had energy to burn and a slick move down the right with an overlapping full back led to their third. He cut it back and their attacker had time to turn in the box and hammer it past Long for 1-3. It was time for fresh legs and on came Esse, Watmore and Vogi for Sav,Burke and Honeyman. We had a bit more pace in attack and tried hard to get back into it. They had time, pushed the ball around and wasted as much time as they could. We were frustrated, and it showed. A decent corner was headed in by Flem and then we really tried hard to get a third. Molly and Evans came on at the death for Leonard and Murray. We even pushed Cooper upfront but even six added minutes didn’t help and we lost narrowly.

Long made a couple of decent saves but I can’t help but think he could have done better for their first. Danny was energetic and a threat, Cresswell made on blip and Cooper also made one. Murray was solid. Sav was busy and Leonard was similar but Burke looked good one minute and then disappeared. Honeyman was busy and Flem looked good at times. Bradshaw took his goal well but would have been disappointed with the OG. Esse floated around but was outmuscled a couple of times. Watmore had his moments and Vogi was similar. Molly and Evans had little time to impact the game.

All in all it was a disappointment and really a bridge too far for some. We were undone by a clever pair of corner routines and just fatigue. Now just outside the top six we will be looking forward to some R and R before Reading next week.

Not a great result but it was again the manner , we scored a really great goal then we went into the "Aalmo " mode , they outpassed us all match ( just like stoke & luton) and took their chances (unlike Stoke & luton) .Wallace again was run raggered for the third game running and is a weak link in the back 4 , why oh why do we give these teams so much space & time on the ball & retreat to just outside our box even in home games....our chances to be in the top 6 was & still are in some respect in our hands but we cannot carry on playing this way , I know its hard to change but we have to do some thing more positive in our remaining games , some people blaming Long but 2 deflections gave him no chance. A mini break for us then on to Reading got to beat them to stay in the hunt I think

Just back, when they can pay £7.5 mil for one player tells you a lot, really enjoyed it, great support from their fans made it a great atmosphere. Difference is better players, very organised and did not give the ball cheaply away. That's what the Premier league brings. Anyway still more to play for, just met a team on the day that were a lot more clinical.

Cheers Silver. Just a game too far for us today against a strong side playing with their tails up. How many times do you read on here that we don’t mind if we lose as long as we go down fighting? Well that was us today, every single one of them lads left everything out there this afternoon and we can’t really ask for more than that.

Thought i'd mention the new kid Esse. He looked good when he came on, wants to go towards goal, quick, a lovely touch for, one standout pass today. He certainly has a football brain and a bright future if what i saw today is anything to go by.
Been saying that since the first time I saw him, if he keeps his head straight he will go all the way to the top. The kid is class and should be playing more minutes, if your good enough your old enough.
Lets see how he gets on with a full game.

The kid is class and should be playing more minutes, if your good enough your old enough.
Lets see how he gets on with a full game.
Yes, agree, may as well approach every remaning game as a cup final now and throw caution to the wind. I think the kid would thrive on it, along with others. He really is impressive from the little i've seen of him.

Looks hungry so let him lose, will certainly give opposing managers and defenders something to think about. With him being so slight and small like it's a defenders worst nightmare when they have to tackle him. Should win us plenty of free kicks! Him on one wing and Burke on the other could cause problems!

Disappointing result. No lack of effort for sure. Their first goal was well worked but Fleming should have dealt with it. Although they got lucky, their second was a poor one to concede. No way should their player be allowed to receive that pass from the corner.

Long did well on the whole. Danny was good. Cresswell and Cooper had their hands full with Pukki but, apart from one poor incident each, they were solid. Oppos have cottoned on that Murray has no pace and are exploiting this. Imo time for a change (Malone). Honeyman was busy but at fault for their second. Centre mid a concern; Leonard runs around a lot but has been pretty ineffective since his return; Sav has been running on empty for a while now. We need Billy back asap. Bradshaw and Fleming cost us two goals yesterday but where would we be without them? Burke flatters to deceive. Esse looks a great prospect, I'd give him a start. All imo, of course.

I’ve watched the highlights a couple of times now and I don’t think you can entirely blame Long for the first goal. Firstly nobody really spots the danger of their bloke shaping up to shoot unchallenged from the edge of our box. His shot is going straight towards Flem’s feet but he fails to stop it. Long is expecting Flem to deflect it away and is surprised that he doesn’t. His late dive is unable to save it. If you look at their reactions after the goal has gone in then you get the true story. Flem holds his head in disbelief that he has not stopped the shot. Long is looking distraught with his arms held out and his palms upwards looking shocked that Flem has not done his job. I was first to blame Long in my Just Back but, on reflection I am not sure he could have done anything differently.
As for Esse, the lad looks good and has great potential but he is slight and gets brushed off the ball easily. He needs to bulk up a bit so he can withstand the physicality of the game. He needs slowly integrating into the team and I am not sure whether he is worth a start quite yet. Time will tell!

Thought i'd mention the new kid Esse. He looked good when he came on, wants to go towards goal, quick, a lovely touch for, one standout pass today. He certainly has a football brain and a bright future if what i saw today is anything to go by.
I don't doubt his potential but yesterday and against Burnley I thought he looks lost at times off the ball, unsure where he should be or who to mark, I'm sure it will come but don't feel he is ready to start a game all the time we are in with a shout of the play offs but would be nice if he is good enough to be starting games this time next year.

I sit in the cold blow and noticed that at an earlier corner Bradshaw was near the goal line marking 2 of theirs and he was pointing to their spare man and waving Burke back from the edge of the box to mark him, which he did and we cleared it ok.
firstly Burke plainly didn’t know where to stand and rather than use his loaf just stood around looking lost- he does tend to do this a bit!
Secondly we plainly hadn’t practiced corners, which may be because if the short intervals between games and differ players coming in.
I wonder if NC had noticed this weakness from earlier games and hence their 2 training ground routines plus if Bradshaw is left on our goal line to do it all we shouldn’t be surprised if he concedes an own goal - you don’t very often see your small centre forward placed between their big center half and your goalkeeper at a corner.
Smacks of one management team being a bit all over the place while the other were very very on the ball!.
Thought?

For me the one weak link yesterday was Saville. He didn't look up for it and apart from one or two good tackles was fairly anonymous. Fair performance by the boys in general though. Bridge too far rather than Zulu.....

We do have to keep a reality check and look at the progress made. A couple of seasons ago Norwich would have been a 80% - 20% game with us having one shot all game, probably off target. Yesterday they edged a fairly even game where we had 19 shots.
So, yes, disappointed we lost but this is a million miles from where we were under Rowett even a year ago. We are now trying to win games instead of just hoping to scrape draws and sometimes we will simply fall a bit short. Got no problem with that whatsoever.

Not a great result but it was again the manner , we scored a really great goal then we went into the "Aalmo " mode , they outpassed us all match ( just like stoke & luton) and took their chances (unlike Stoke & luton) .Wallace again was run raggered for the third game running and is a weak link in the back 4 , why oh why do we give these teams so much space & time on the ball & retreat to just outside our box even in home games....our chances to be in the top 6 was & still are in some respect in our hands but we cannot carry on playing this way , I know its hard to change but we have to do some thing more positive in our remaining games , some people blaming Long but 2 deflections gave him no chance. A mini break for us then on to Reading got to beat them to stay in the hunt I think
A few things stood out for me, Murray just hasn't got the pace, teams consistently target this, Burke provided little protection the reason he was swapped to the right at half time. Secondly Burke, he looked fucked after 20 minutes and should have been hooked at half time. I have said it before but Saville is getting slower by the game. Rowett needs to make braver decisions earlier. Would have taken a draw before we started and still think we deserved at least that...